Rouse Simmons- by JesseLee - Bottle - Finished

Made the masts & spars. I tied an old method of tying thread through the bottom of the masts & through 2 small holes through the hull (in the mast holes). Forgot to take some close-up picks of this. The thread "hinges" are knotted in a small hollowed out spot underneath the hull. Adding rigging as I went.....

post-6826-0-79001900-1445711992_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-26025300-1445712013_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-21636800-1445712033_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-34342000-1445712052_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-87911000-1445712070_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Started making the sails. Dipped them in coffee. As always when coloring sails with coffee or tea do a dip/wash with baking soda in water to neutralize the acids. Sometime during these steps the glass bulb I was working with broke. They had come in packs of 4 & this was the 4th one. This ended the build last year. Sometimes the glass would break while working with it & sometimes it would break on it's own when I wasn't even at the workbench. The picture shows how a typical break was. I was very upset because I didn't get it done in time to put on the Christmas Tree. This pack of Christmas bulbs were bought at Wal Mart. Decide to Try some from a different store the next season & try it again. One year later (about a month or 2 ago this year) got some more from Hobby Lobby hoping they wont be as thin. The next posting will be where I picked the build back up this year. 

post-6826-0-00390600-1445719853_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-41188100-1445719871_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81371000-1445719900_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hope the new globes work better for you Jesselee.  it certainly is a very ambitious project.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Got a different set of Christmas bulbs made by a different company from a different store this year, Began the process over again. glued the bottom label disc in. Painted the space between, got the sea bed base in. The Rouse Simmons carried Christmas trees so I wanted to show some on this build. Made some Christmas trees to put on deck by trimming the tip of a pipe cleaner- (being a pipe smoker I've got these laying around). Clipped them off & painted them. They were shipped bundled by tying them up with ropes so I rapped some very thin thread around them.

post-6826-0-63550600-1445968720_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-46144600-1445968743_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-91409200-1445968777_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-09191100-1445968795_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82083000-1445968835_thumb.jpg

Another thing I did different was I didn't make any kind of jig or base to hold the ship down while I worked on it. Just wanted to try it to see easy or hard it would be this way. I was able to do it but I highly recommend not doing it this way It was much more irritating- especially doing the rigging.  After gluing the sea baser in. The !st bulb out of the pack of 4 bought this year was found broken open one morning much like the picture before showed. That was now 5 bulbs broken. Got the 6th one out & for the 6th time started it all over again. Began to wonder if this would be possible at all, Repeated all these steps again & was now needing to figure out what I would do for the sea. After test fitting the ship in the neck - you guessed it- another break. This time it was just the neck itself. Very frustrated I was about to give up. Then I looked at the thin metal decorative cap that goes over the neck that holds the wire for hanging the ornament. When this piece is on it would completely hide this break. I decided I would finish this build & epoxy the neck back on & hide it all with the cap afterwards. The opening was still the same except it had a sharp edge I would need to be very careful with. I went with it......

post-6826-0-29173100-1445970546_thumb.jpg

Got a lot of the rigging done. Tried adding ratlines after looking into it. It just about drove me crazy. I used Fray Check to hold them all in place then went back & used very tiny amounts of CA on the ends of each one so that nothing would come loose when folded down to put through the neck.

As I posted before my silicone sea didn't work out. I have been told that you can mix the color in it when applying. If I had know that then I would have used that method but since I didn't know it at the time I used Platalina modeling putty. I used as thin a layer as possible for 2 reasons. 1: in the past I found out that the pressure of putting it in & wave forming was enough to break the thin glass sides, 2: Weight. Putty is heavy for a Christmas Tree ornament so I wanted to keep as muck weight as possible out of this. Got a thin layer laid in. Put it in between our double paned windows on a sunny day The sun melted the putty down to the base & softened it so I could form the waves, ripples without much pressure so I wouldn't break through the thin glass sides. I did a lot of white aps because this ship sailed in the rough waters of Lake Michigan & these waters even sunk the ship in the end.

post-6826-0-97469800-1446149854_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-97374200-1446149871_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-90755300-1446149889_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-43636300-1446149914_thumb.jpg

Made the lifeboat & added it to the back of the ship. Added the flag.

post-6826-0-23680400-1446417700_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-97500300-1446417724_thumb.jpg

Folded everything down to go through the neck opening. Inserted ship into Christmas ornament, glued down, masts raised, sails straightened, pulled all lines tight & glued them. Taped a narrow hobby knife blade to one of the tools to cut the lines off after the glue dried.

post-6826-0-37321200-1446418609_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81812600-1446418627_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66133700-1446418649_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81956700-1446418680_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-01090100-1446418710_thumb.jpg

Very cool, Jesse.   I'll bet it looks great hanging on the tree this year.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice Jesse!  :dancetl6:  Too bad you couldn't find an easy way to mass-produce those. You could make a fortune I think.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jesse

Very nice!!! I must say, though, that of all the various genres of model boat building, it's SIBs that mystify and captivate me the most. I think it's got a lot to do with the "Whoa...I'm too scared to try that!" mentality that sticks in my mind. Well, maybe one day, I'll be brave enough to try one.

Great job, though Jesse. Like Mark said, it's sure to look great hanging off your tree.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Well done Jesse.  I  have always wanted to try an SIB but have never got the courage to try it.  At Manitowoc John Fox III gave a seminar on making them and he made it look easy.

David B

Thank you everyone for the kind words & encouragement.

Used epoxy glue to repair the broken neck then added the cover & hanger wire back on. The glued seam is completely hidden.

Finished project pictures to follow......

post-6826-0-34951800-1446483686_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-23339200-1446483706_thumb.jpg

View of bottom label with ship info, finished shot & close-up of Christmas trees on deck. More finished angle shots coming......

post-6826-0-74880000-1446484367_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-88183400-1446484385_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-32948800-1446484404_thumb.jpg

Well done.  She'll look great on the tree.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Fantastic job JesseLee!  Congrats on a job well done, even after so many mishaps with the glass globe but you stuck with it and look at the results.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I just caught this build Jesse, I applaud your patience with the globes, I think I would have given up, and just hung the boat.

Very nice job.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Different angles of the finished build......

post-6826-0-64189800-1446563430_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82649400-1446563449_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-56768400-1446563469_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-07592700-1446563487_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

very nice work Jesse.......you made it just in time for the Holiday!    wish mine was ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking very convincing JesseLee.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra