Warspite by kpnuts - FINISHED - Academy - 1/350 - PLASTIC - diorama

Done loads to it tonight, not posting pics cause it doesn't look like I've done a lot (its all tiny stuff you can hardly see) I am going crosseyed.  On the chains for the anchors, where they slide up and down the long slipways would the paint have worn off and would rust then result (I don't know what you call those bits so can't Google pics).

It could be a bit morepronounced, but thta's based on an image(!) In reality it may be enough ... It also depends on the state she was in at the time

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I like what you are doing with your diorama. 

I do feel that your big stuka on the wide edge of it would be stalling out trying to climb out at that angle of attack.  I believe the nose should be maybe half as high above the tail.  Most of his dive speed would be gone after a thousand feet of climb, and he would need to be able to keep it moving to climb at all. 

Just an observation from a former private pilot. 

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Hi all just a quick question, re the aircraft guns at 1/350 would the damage they do to the deck of the Warspite be noticeable, if so how much damage would they do (I assume apart from removing a bit of paint they wouldn't do any damage to the superstructure) if the damage did show, on a run along the deck of the ship how far apart would the hits be.

The damage from a 30 caliber (about what the Germans used) would be infinitesimal at best.  Even the 20/30mm cannon they used might not show.  As for how far apart would depend on the angle of attack and drift on part of the aircraft.  Holding a tight group on the ground with a machine gun is hard but flying in at a couple hundred miles an hour, in a dive, with wind and a moving target.... unlikely.  Now if the attack is just above the waves and the pilot was trying to hit and correct his flight path for say, a gun mount, you might at this scale, see peeled paint and some raggedness of the metal..

Try it on some scrap plastic and see what you can do and what it looks like.  Also, look for some pictures of the ships at Pearl Harbor or other after battle pics and use them as your guide.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

KP,

One thing to add to what Mark has already mentioned. The bullet strikes would not run in lines like in the movies. Aircraft machine guns were mounted to fire in a cone so the bullets would converge at a certain distance. Dont recall what the distance was, probably varied aircrat to aircraft and country to country.

Watch some youtube strafing videos and you should see what I mean.

I recall reading in several accounts from the Pacific about US fighters strafing Japanese shipping and pilots reporting seeing pieces knocked off and SMALL fires being started. The pieces were never described to my recollection but I would imagine they were relatively small. And that was mostly .50 cal stuff.

Regardless, from a 3 foot viewing distance (1050 scale feet) I imagine you wouldnt see much of anything.

Just my thoughts.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

How long is your Titanic model and what material is it I saw in the picture a way back there?  I had thought about building one of those for RC once.  I never found the right size. 

Walt Biles

Hi all and thanks for the comments, I did think at this scale you wouldn't notice but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Walt the titanic in the back there is 1/400 (shows how big she was when the Warspite is 1/350 and she is still way bigger), I did do an rc build at 1/200 but she suffered the same fate as the original (didn't strike an ice berg) but sank when I took her on her maiden voyage on our then local lake and she was swapped by waterskiers and sank before I could get her anywhere near shore.

I couldn't swim so couldn't get her back. Learned a valuable lesson there, only use model boating lakes and fill model with polystyrene foam (no sinking) I think at 1/400 you would struggle to rc her, she's about 27 inches long.

Sam,

Aiming point (where the bullet flights would meet/cross) was normally 300 yards.  You might see some pieces flying.  As recall there's a ton of Youtube videos, look for "Victory at Sea".  You'll see the tiny flashes from the armor (armour) piercing incendiary rounds hitting and some debris being tossed.  The debris is probably rounds on the ship going off as some of the ordnance for the AA guns would be in ready box near the gun.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all playing with the 1/350 planes this one I was going to have crash into the sea behind Warspite but I had a thought didn't some of the German pilots do suicide runs and deliberately crash their crippled planes into ships. If I did this I was thinking they would aim for most damage so I would imagine they would try for the bridge or one of the big guns and hope to hit some ammo.
If I did this would something like that have been enough to sink a ship like the Warspite. Obviously I dont want her sunk.
TncO0F8.jpg

R4bdQvK.jpg

3ZwAHID.jpg

7caYtiu.jpg
also here is some work I've done some work on Warspite
9VLcAIa.jpg

RMcQ7II.jpg

flWbn5J.jpg

lx5mP79.jpg

RH5Lhys.jpg

0mXCFCF.jpg

BcOZNVH.jpg

GqUzx8J.jpg

I don't think the Germans intentionally did suicide runs although on all sides were probably the "last ditch effort" type of individuals.  What we many times in the old films of a plane crashing into a ship (and not a Japanese pilot) is most likely a damaged plane with with a wounded or dead pilot.  There's many shots of planes making the gun/bombing run and then crashing on the other side of the ship so the wounded or dead pilot seems reasonable. 

In the battle you're depicting, is this historical or fictional?  If fictional... crash away if it's what you want.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The water is a big improvement... overall everything looks great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

is a book called Building & Detailing Scale Model Ships by Mike Ashey does allot on modern and war ships and water dioramas.  You can get it in print and the Author offers it in PDF files here:  http://mikeashey.com/BOOK-FIRST-SHIP.htm

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

I agree with the others comments on your water, you really nailed it.  Great effects. 

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

That's IMPRESSIVE !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

It's defiantly coming along, every update it gets sharper.  I only have one question...

Where are you going to display it once it's done? ;)

btw that site for Mike Ashey,  hes' got other books too on airplanes, armor and dioramas  http://mikeashey.com/ home page so you can find the rest. 

Edited by Grimber

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

Well. I can say that this looks like an absolute succes. Well done. You put a lot of time and effort into this and it looks like it was worth it. Geat job

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard