Sign in to follow this  
AndrewNaylor

Any one for a Cruise?

Yet again another Italian built cruise ship has power problems that's 5 in the past 4 years all built within a few years of each other  I think that they are all diesel electric  

I suggest that any one booking a cruise that you do a little research into where the ship was built and when. Fincantieri ship yard in Italy built all the Carnival ships with recent issues

Be careful and happy cruising

Andy

2012 and 2013 have NOT been good years for the cruise industry, have they? The funny thing is, right after the Costa Concordia accident, we got an advertisement for a Carnival Cruise in the mail, lol.

Hey Sarah----- the Costa Concordia was pretty close to land herself !!!!  I've got a cruise scheduled myself this year so let's both stay alert at all times!

Two more cruises aborted just today!  The odds for future success just got better :D

Honestly, if I were to go on a cruise, I would go on a historical cruise, where I get to sail on a wooden sailing ship like the Mayflower II or the Lady Washington. At least then, I'd actually get to have the genuine sailing experience and FEEL the sea around me. A modern cruise ship is nothing more than Las Vegas encapsulated in a gargantuan metal container.

4712847260_0ca1b2ba6a.jpg

Kester, I can not afford to go on an expensive square-rigger cruise. This is as close as I  can get sailing near where I live on the Snake River, on my scratch built Nutshell Pram. My boat is not fancy, but she gives the sailing experience.

Crackers,

Nothing wrong with that, she looks a fine craft – and I've just spotted the castors.

When I lived in the UK, I did a lot of dinghy sailing when I was in the sea scouts, and often crewed an X boat for a friend of mine. Great fun, and things certainly happened a lot faster than in a square rigger! :huh:

I would much rather get on a plane or train and go somewhere and stay there for a few days.

Much better than getting  off a floating hotel for a few hours and visiting a succession of tourist traps 

Regards

Ken

That's a fine looking pram....and gaff-rigged at that.  Do you have room for an able bodied seaman?

Ken - You just ain't kidding. I lived in one of those tourist traps, Juneau, Alaska for 8 years. The passengers never got to see the real Alaska. I feel sorry for them. That is why any time anybody asks me about a cruise I point them to the Alaska Marine Highway System (Ferries ) with stopovers to really see the place. I also did a couple of years at Clear, Alaska (have fun finding it) and the interior is another country, that they only see out of a train window. Little do people know that they could buy tickets to a milepost, get off, dally a while and flag the train in the other direction a few hours later.

Andy:

Do you know if the disabled Carnival cruise ship in the news today, 3/15/13, was also built at Fincantieri shipyard?

You guys might want to consider packing a Porta-Potty.... you know.... just in case.... :P

Andy

And maybe a couple of sandwiches, for "just in case"....post-76-0-32952100-1363409232.gif

Lol!!!  And to think my girlfriend is wanting to go on a cruise this year!!!  hahahahaha!!!  Yes, vacation would be nice, and a cruise would be welcome, but the $$$ and all the problems they're having- makes me question things a bit~~~

Rich

Why dont you buy 2 plane tickets and come to Australia or New Zealand

Regards

Ken