striping the planks

Hi to all ship-mates of MSW,

Can anyone help with a conundrum I have  regarding 'the striping of planks.

I have been trying to find any info.. regarding the striping of planks to no avail.

I am of course speaking of the different widths of a plank from bow to stern at each bulk-head.

Obviously the strip (plank) is not straight, which would mean a simple straight cut from one end to

the other.   BUT....planking a hull properly the hull curves  from stem to stern change. Although I

know how to plank (with difficulty) my question is...- how does one cut the different widths of each

plank as it curves , eg- cut or sand? if sanding how, or the best method

any shipwrights that  can help please would be most appreciated

many thanks

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

I take the strip and mark out the shape and then use sandpaper and files to get the final shape.  To me that is the easiest way to do the job.  A knife comes in if the amount is a lot.  

David B

Edited by dgbot

Kier,

Have a look at this post:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/439-planking-tutorials/   Check out the tutorial by Chuck as it is excellent and profusely illustrated. 

There's a lot of ways to spile...  some mark and use a scroll saw, others heat and edge bend, others sandpaper.  It'll take some experimentation to figure out what's best for you. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Dave

I have used this method in the past but I wanted to know if this was the correct way or

if there was another method,

many thanks

kier

There is an old saying.  "There are many ways to skin a cat.  I have tried several methods but found this one the easiest in the long run.  It also depends on the shape of the hull and the wood you are using.

David B

=- thanks Dave, I shall remember

=- Also to yourself Mark for your info of looking through  Chucks tutorial. Also very valuable

Thanks to you both, Great value,

kier

I use a piece of scotch tape. Place the tape where you would place the plank. Using a fine marker, trace the edges of the existing plate on to the tape. Remove andd place on top of desired plank. You will see exactly and how much material to remove. Get it close, then sneak up on it for the final fit.

Works really well when it comes to scarfs.

Edited by Billl

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.