When to attach sails to yards?

toms10

I am at the point in my Constellation build where I have all the yards built and rigged and am looking into constructing the sails.  I am a bit confused about attaching the sails to the yards.  The instructions show putting the rigged yards on the masts before putting the sails on.  I would like to have the upper sails on each mast full and the the lowest one on each mast reefed about half way so the deck is easily visible.

I am thinking it will be more difficult to rope the sails to the yards if the yards are mounted.  I was going to attach the head of the sail to the yard and then install the yard.  Finally, I will finish the running rigging (clews, sheets, haylards, etc).  I am not sure about when to stiffen the sails in a full blown position.  I think it would be easier to get the right look once they are in place and tied.  Another option is to build simple "mock" masts and yards out of dowels and simulate the final position of the sails and then spray them with fabric stiffener.  This way the stiffener spray doesn't get all over the model.  I am sure there are lots of different methods and I have spent many hours reviewing this forum.  Was wondering if anybody out there can point me in a direction.

Tom,

I'd bend the sails to the yards first before hang the yards, but that's me.   There are ways to billow the sails before mounting which seems to work.  The more you can do off ship before stepping the masts or (in your case) attaching the yards, the easier it will be.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and avsjerome2003.  I agree with completing as much "stuff" off the model and then working with the sub-assembly on the final model.  After sleeping on it I am going to mount the head of the sail to  the yard and tie off all the lines I can before mounting.  I also like the idea of starting with the fore top gallant sail and working down and towards the mizzen.  I have plenty of sail cloth so let the experimenting begin!

I find it helpful when doing lines on the mast/yard off ship to coil them and mark them with an identifier using paper tape.   Otherwise, at some point, you'll sit there scratching your head, going... "What is this?  Where does it go?". 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to derail this thread but can anyone tell me how to thread the sails to the yards? Thank you.

Sails are attached (bent) to the yards by robands.  Depending on the era of the ship they were either bent to the yards directly or to a jackstay above the yard.  There were usually two robands per sail cloth, sometimes both placed between the seams, and somtimes, one on the seam and one halfway between.  The photos below show the two methods.

post-1079-0-17461200-1446699941.jpg

post-1079-0-09740800-1446699958.jpg

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci