Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Mark,

Your ship is looking to be a brilliant build indeed. The complicated stern looks so good. If I might offer a suggestion, though you probably are already thinking about something in this area.

Your stern lanterns could be visually improved if you were to somehow “remove” the gold painted glass panes, though I hesitate to offer any advice here….

Using a combination of flat white (or red) mixed with a flat clear coat – fill-in each “dimple” where the glass should be. Or even using a translucent white would be nice as well.

It would be a very subtle detail but would add (IMHO) much in the aggregate to the lanterns, hence the brilliant stern.

Just a suggestion coming from someone not nearly as skilled ……

PS: Your work on the yards is superb.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi  Michael - the lantern glass is not painted. I painted the interior of the lanterns yellow with a touch of red to try & simulate a flame & filled the panes with liquid glass. what you see through the "glass" is the painted center of the lantern. Unfortunately,it did not turn out as I hoped it would. I may still try & do something with them,though. 

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Sorry Mark - did not perceive this. I should look back to your lantern pages. My bad. I should have known that you would have thought about this. Photo fooled me (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Well,I decided I didn`t like them either,so I pulled them off & painted the panes black. A ship in port with no sails set would probably not have the lanterns lit anyway. The liquid glass I used never did dry right & looked a bit foggy.

Mark001.JPG.5952cece9177513f08de10df4dba5465.JPG

Mark, when it comes time for me to do my stern, I am planning to use a plastic modeller's trick and apply a thin black wash to the carvings. This creates an illusion of depth in modelling scales. Have you considered this? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Tried a black wash over the gold and it works a treat ! I have seen many lanterns with the glass areas painted blue to represent a reflection from the sky but they tend to look artificial. Mark, what you have done with the black creates a sense of depth into the lantern and I like it but suspect a matt black would be even better ?

Pete

Keith - I am still tweaking things,so a black wash is not out of the question - it can be applied at any time.

Pete - my reason for using gloss black is that glass is very reflective. I may tone it down with a coat of clear semi-gloss to see how that looks.

Mark

G'day Mark 

The lanterns looks a lot better than before! 

Maybe a black dry brush finish over the gold, might help with the 3D effect. If it doesn't work, you can redo it with gold again. ♺

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

5 hours ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Mark 

The lanterns looks a lot better than before! 

Maybe a black dry brush finish over the gold, might help with the 3D effect. If it doesn't work, you can redo it with gold again. ♺

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Greg, dry brush picks up raised areas, so it is used for highlights. Therefore it should be a light colour. Washes sink into recessed areas. They are for shadows, therefore it should be a dark colour. Personally I would mix some gold in with black and make a wash with that. I have found that a straight black wash onto a light coloured surface tends to leave water droplet marks as it dries. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks everyone for your opinions & suggestions - I will be heading out to the local hobby shop shortly to get some of the Vallejo washes & see how it goes. I agree that the decorations are a bit too "fresh" looking & hard to see the details.

Mark

Well,after spending the better part of the day applying a wash to all those gold decorations,I think there is a real improvement to them. The first picture is before & the next three are after applying the wash. They actually look better in person than my cheapo camera shows.

Mark

001.JPG.eeaa18b3b9954df0ba6fe789f128ced4.JPG

002.JPG.be9712f37f65a7cca3d5f2a4c631887f.JPG

003.JPG.4b59f99f8df6e1bc8169a4075ad5c305.JPG

004.JPG.2ec8f43c05eee4361b0d09e1a001c62e.JPG

G'day Mark 

I can only see a slight different, but wow! It looks great now. Well done.

It's amazing how a suttle different makes from brilliant to outstanding!

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

ROYAL WILLIAM RIGGING

Over the last few months, I have worked through a very challenging task of creating a set of files that cover the rigging of the Royal William. They include text, diagrams and photos arranged in a sequential order of rigging. They are freely available for anybody who wishes to make use of them and it is my fervent desire that they will add to the joy of creating this mighty ship. Having said that, there is still some work to be done on these files to fully complete them. Hopefully, the MSW members will 'jump in' and make this a real community effort through a range of ideas, suggestions and criticisms. I feel that this task is more than one person can handle so I will wait to see what happens. The files concerned range from RW.06 through to RW.10. The link to the Euromodel website is ....

https://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/royal-william-i-i.php

Pete

Pete,

I'd also like to thank you for the work you put into those interpretive build instructions.  Great job!  I continually refer to those and Marks posts for ideas for my own build.  I'm still quite a ways from rigging, needing to finish installing the guns and some more work on the hull.  I'm not really a fast model ship builder, nor a slow one.  More of a half fast ship builder....

Bill

Australian English 101

G'Day  all
In Australia we make a few words in a sentence into one longer word. We, I must admit, are a bit lazy in our speaking, but for us it's normal. 
The reason why I'm writing this down, so other countries and there population might under stand our lingo. Some examples are:.

Lingo = language 
Ozzie = Australian 
Havta  = have to
Havtagree = have to agree etc
G'Day  = good day
Havagooday  = have a good day 
Havagreatrip  = have a great trip etc

If you say it out loud long enough, I hope that you may understand our poor speech. 

In Australia we use bloody a lot. Bloody is one of our best adjective to describe something so good or some times bad. Eg bloody fantastic is very good. Bloody terrible is very bad.

We also break down large words into a smaller/shorter word eg. Air conditioner  to Aircon.
There are many more facets to our unique language, above are only a small sample. 
havagooday to all
Greg 

On 22/03/2017 at 0:27 AM, Amfibius said:

Bloody grouse, mate. 

(Go google it)

Thanks another one I forgot to enter in. Thanks Keith. You're a bonza mate. (Great)

G'day Mark 

I'm sure that Pete will agree with me when I say that your log is a perfect example  of what to do in building this great ship.

The yards are brilliant, just as I would expect from you. And the amount of details are exceptional.

Congratulations on another milestone mate.

Greg 

• 4 weeks later...

Another small update - I decided to re-do the rudder chains. I removed the ropes attached to the rudder & used chains with rope pendants instead. It`s a simplified version,but I think it will do.

002.JPG.42c40cde80ce520bf34c0f0d99f84e08.JPG

Mark

David Steel (1794, 234) describes these chains and rope pendants in some detail and it is quite an experience to dissect out each component part of his commentary. Mark has gone to the trouble of adding chains where none were shown but albeit kept it as a simplified version. Plan drawings are useful but when some detailed research is carried out, it is surprising to grasp the full complexity of naval rigging. Great to see that both Mark and Vince have made some changes in this area.

Pete

G'day Mark 

The rudder chain assembly looks good.

No doubt that Pete has sent you the great file of his.

havagooday 

Greg