Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

• 3 weeks later...

update - I got the upper quarter deck installed & planked. Then I found some mast coats at Ages of Sail & glued them to the decks - had to file them out slightly for the masts to go through.

post-4600-0-27744600-1456594337_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-93488400-1456594358_thumb.jpg

Then I located the cast metal bulkhead that fits on the upper quarter deck. After cutting out & painting it doesn`t look too bad - may still need to do a little touch up. also made the windows with the Kristal Klear window maker liquid.

post-4600-0-83169600-1456594626_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-34622000-1456594653_thumb.jpg

While waiting for paint to dry I thought I would make the bitts & capstan. I had to shorten the capstan to fit under the forecastle deck beam, but it still looks ok.

post-4600-0-41963900-1456594814_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-59467000-1456594843_thumb.jpg

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I'm really enjoying your build log Mark. You have taken great photos and it is a pleasure to look at your work.

I can't wait to start my own Royal William. With three amazing build logs to go by on the site, it should be a piece of cake....just kidding!

Looking forward to more posts!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter - thanks for your nice comment. My camera is a simple point & shoot - I sometimes have to take 2 or 3 pictures to get a decent one. I am behind the other builds so I am just following their leads.

Denis - I thought the heel is the very bottom of the mast where it sets on the keel. Maybe I will just call them "the round things on the deck where the mast goes through" :D. Just kidding.

Mark

Hi Mark

When I ordered mine from my model shop I called them mast collar's , I was told that they are not mast collar's but mast heels and I was not going to argue with him.

Like you I will call them round things :D :D :P .

May be some one can help us out with the correct name for them ???.

Denis.

Edited by Denis R

Now listen here you old tired eyes,Peter got it right, its a great pleasure to watch your masterly built model progress,the quaility of workmanship is outstanding,great photograghy ,I'm sure others are watching this build with much interest and taking notes, I know I am. well done old man. Edwin.

Splendid work as usual, Mark. I hope you took note from VinceP's log that he felt he made a mistake constructing the poop deck before the stern. He had to trim his back. As you know from my build log, I haven't constructed my poop deck yet, yet it is apparent to me that the deck will have to be trimmed. It sticks out by at least 1cm. My advice is to allow space for trimming when you get to constructing the stern.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thank you very much Edwin,Keith,& Don. Also for all the looks & likes.

Keith - after triple checking the measurements on the plans I located where I thought the metal bulkhead should sit from the front edge of the upper quarter deck - about 138mm. then I test fit the poop deck & the rear edge lined up almost exactly right. Just a little sanding needed at the rear corners. I had to cut some off the sides,but that was to be expected. I am also building the poop deck first so I can get the upper edge of the bulwarks cut down to size before starting the second planking. It may be a mistake,but that`s my plan.

Mark

A little more progress - all decks now finished & gratings in place. I ended up cutting the openings for the gratings larger to match the plans. After laying out all the side ornamentation castings I marked out & cut the bulwarks down to very close to their final shape. Difficult to see but I added some narrow strips to the edges of all the decks to cover the plywood & ends of the deck planks.

post-4600-0-76993700-1456954609_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-21503700-1456954627_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-19637600-1456954649_thumb.jpg

Mark

Update - I thought I would work on the bow bulkhead next. First I cut a piece of leftover false deck plywood to match the previously built forward most bulkhead. After painting the metal decoration I glued it to the top of the false bulkhead. I made the roundhouses by cutting a 12mm dowel in half. Then I laid out the strips for the double doors & gun port lids. After painting it black I added the trim using some 1mm strips painted gold. The "portholes" are brass eyelets from the fabric shop. Finally the stanchions across the top were made using very small belaying pins filed flat on one side & cut the bottom of the pins off & painted gold. the gold paint I am using is a vallejo color called polished gold - very nice paint.

post-4600-0-36966100-1457455837_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-31762500-1457455855_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-80133800-1457455875_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-90421200-1457455895_thumb.jpg

Mark

Nice indeed.

Marks this build log is high on my list of "enjoying following along"

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Very nice work Mark - the gold and black look really sharp together.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Nigel,Michael,& Mike. It was very fiddly working with those belaying pins - they were only 6mm long to begin with. Also the black paint I am using is semi-gloss - dead flat black to me looks just that - dead ;).

Mark

Hi Mark, looks really great. Great idea using those belaying pins, although the thought of filing so many of them to fit the railings makes me a little weak kneed! As it turns out, I am using the exact same gold paint as you. How did you get your lines so sharp and neat? Did you mask off every area to be painted? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Keith -filing them down to fit in the space wasn`t the hard part - painting all those little pieces was the fiddly part. The pins were painted before gluing them in but the metal piece they fit into was painted using a 10-0 pointed brush freehand - no masking. The old hands are still pretty steady B). Starting on the second planking next. I intend for the planking to follow the curve of the wales so a little edge bending might be required - hopefully not too much as I don`t have any extra wide planks to do proper spiling. I am using the kit wood - would love to use something better like pear but it`s not in the budget.

Mark

It all looks very sweet Mark, some real good ideas you have. Paint job is awesome

Nice build, I look forward to following along on this one. Should be a very rewarding build.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks Frank - welcome aboard  :cheers:. Have you started on your next project yet - I think it was a stagecoach?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just received the plexi glass case for my Vasa model. I still have to mount the model to the case base and make a name plate then I am done!

I plan to start the stage coach later this summer, while I investigate my next ship build options!

Frank

..... with those belaying pins - they were only 6mm long to begin with.

Mark

G'day Mark

How on Earth did you get those pins so evenly spaced? Just a touch of class mate.

Brilliant work as usual.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...