I am making the deck furniture for my MS Bluenose 1:64 scale.  At this size a fair amount of detail shows.  The plans call for a reasonably contoured molding around most of the structures. 

Apart from grinding down a razor blade does anyone have alternative methods for consistent production of a contour on these relatively small pieces?

Do I need to abandon the basswood from the kit and use a harder wood?

Only a hardwood like boxwood will hold the detail of a miniature moulding. Basswood is too soft and fuzzy. I use a piece of heat-softened hacksaw blade for filing in my moulding profiles.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

No, file it when cooled! You don't want to scorch yourself accidentally. Heat to cherry red and let air cool. This softens the metal. After filing you could re-harden it by heating and oil quenching, but this really is not necessary.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey,

After you cut or file the profile, does it need to be sharpened? And if so, how do you do it? Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

I made the moldings for my Latham using a single edge razor and shaping the contour with a cutoff wheel.  I used Apple for the molding.

David B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thinking outside the box, you can create moldings with wire or other round stock. Glue two pieces of naked wire of slightly different diameters, shoulder to shoulder, up against the edge you want the molding on. Not so good for corners. but easy to get quick results as long as you plan on painting the surfaces involved.

Niagara USS Constitution