HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Coming along rapidly and looking great Danny; must be a bit of a doddle after the full shiop model? ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Wow.. you have been busy.  Looks really well done from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really nice progress, Dan. The pump well fits fantastic.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Danny.

Great progress.

Love the colour of your timber..

Looking forward to the next stage.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Danny,

outcuts for pump inlets and metal work thereto look fine...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the kind comments.

The Internal Planking is completed up to the level of the lower deck. I'm using Castello Boxwood for all the planking.

This pic shows the lower and upper Deck Clamps. These are in "Top and Butt" configuration, sometimes referred to as "Anchor Stock Planking". The clamps are 4" (scale) thick at the top, thinning to 3" at the bottom of each pair. They are 14" wide at the widest point, tapering to 6" at the narrowest  :

Internal Planking 001.jpg

More of the "special" planks. Starting nearest the keel is the 4 1/2" thick Inner Limber Strake, followed by the 3" Outer Limber Strake. Next set is the "Thickstuff over the floorheads" - the central strake is 4 1/2" thick and the two either side of it are 3". Further up are the "Thickstuff at the first futtock head" which are the same thicknesses as the previous set. I'm laying the first of the 2" thick regular "Ceiling Planks" in this pic :

Internal Planking 002.jpg

All the port side internal planking completed. The starboard side only gets the Limber Strakes and Deck Clamps :

Internal Planking 003.jpg

Treenailing has begun. I'm using 0.55mm bamboo which has been stained black :

Internal Planking 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

G'day Danny

You aren't slack mate, I am!

It's been a quite a time since I've looked at your post and I'm so sorry about that. Well mate, like you usual standards in construction and your great log-a-lesson, I'm not disappointed when I have looked over your updates. She's a beauty and your eye for details are there to teach us the "mortals".

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice going, Dan. Small point: top and butt is not quite the same thing as anchor stock. In the former the 'arms' of the pieces are of unequal length, usually 2:1 ratio, whereas the latter has equally tapered 'arms'.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you for the comments Greg, John, Albert, Neale and Druxey - much appreciated.

Small point: top and butt is not quite the same thing as anchor stock. In the former the 'arms' of the pieces are of unequal length, usually 2:1 ratio, whereas the latter has equally tapered 'arms'.

Thanks for the clarification Druxey :) .

Treenailing has finished for a while - there were about 750 in this section. I used 1 1'4" (scale) "nails" in the thicker timbers, and 3/4" in the Footwaling. No finish has been applied yet :

Internal Planking.jpg

The Keelson is bolted through the Keel with a Lip Bolt to each frame :

Keelson Bolts.jpg

The Mainmast Step is substantial - 1'10" x 1'8" in section, and 5'3" long. I cut and chiselled the under face to fit the Limber Strakes :

Mainmast Step 002.jpg

The completed step. All edges are chamfered :

Mainmast Step 003.jpg

Mainmast Step 004.jpg

Mainmast Step 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Very nice joinery Danny; now for your next masterpiece I will expect to see a fully functioning chain pump....;)   :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

As always, a joy to watch your work, especially the detailing.   As said above, nice selection of wood, it makes the model quite rich looking.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks guys :) .

for your next masterpiece I will expect to see a fully functioning chain pump.... ;)

Don't hold your breath waiting Pat - I don't have enough chain links to go round :D .

How many shots did you take after all those treenails?

Enough :D .

The Mast Step isn't actually bolted to the keel, to allow the mast to be raked fore or aft as the need arose. Instead, it is held in place by means of wedges which are anchored by a 1 5/8" steel pin on either side :

Step Wedges 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The three Lower Deck Beams are 8" wide x 9" deep, and have a round-up of 3". I've made them from Swiss Pear :

Lower Deck Beams 001.jpg

The beams are "let in" (i.e. notched) to the deck clamps by 1" :

Lower Deck Beams 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

hi Dan,

sorry for asking, but when you say

The beams are "let in" (i.e. notched) to the deck clamps by 1" :

does that mean that thedesk-clamps are notched, or the deck beams?

Slainte

Peter

The Beams are notched Peter.

Cheers, Danny

Danny, I like your combination of woods so far.

Maury

I like your combination of woods so far.

They're pretty much the same as the wood in your Echo Cross-section Maury :) .

The stanchions for the Well are mortised into the underside of two of the beams :

Lower Deck Beams 003.jpg

The bottoms of the stanchions are shaped to fit the limber strakes, and I've used 0.8mm treenails to locate them in position. The beams are only spot-glued into position at this stage, as they and the well will need removing again after I get the first few side timbers fitted to the well stanchions. I'll build the rest of the well and shot-locker on the bench before re-installing the assembly :

Lower Deck Beams 004.jpg

Lower Deck Beams 005.jpg

All the mortices for the Carlings, Beam Arm and Mast Partner have been cut into the beams :

Lower Deck Beams 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny