HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Do you know if this was generally used or limited to certain size ships, or ships built by certain nations, etc.?

Richard it was generally used on English warships of the 18th and early 19th century. Further than that I don't know.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've had some Internet issues lately, and haven't been able to post much of anything. It's all resolved now though, so I have a lot of catch-up to do. Where to start :D ?

I'd previously made the Main Topsail Sheet Bitts and the Main Jeer Bitts, so these could now be fitted along with the Eyebolts around the main mast and those for the Gun Tackles in the spirketting.

Next job was to make the Chain Pump mechanisms, starting with the Cranks. These were all silver soldered and blackened. I left the joints in the aft ends of the cranks to be epoxied in after the rest was assembled :

Cranks 001.jpg

Cranks 002.jpg

Cranks 003.jpg

Next I made and fitted the Cisterns. A more detailed description of how these were assembled can be found in my Log of the full Vulture model :

Cisterns 001.jpg

Cisterns 002.jpg

Cisterns 003.jpg

The Rhodings for both bitts came next. I filed these from brass sheet. The "bolts" were easier to fit in longer lengths, which were later cut down and blackened after the epoxy had dried :

Rhodings 001.jpg

Rhodings 002.jpg

The pumps completed. You will notice that the pics are a bit out of sequence - I hadn't taken many pictures during construction and had to go back and take them after I'd fitted a few other things :

Chain Pumps Fitted 001.jpg

Chain Pumps Fitted 002.jpg

Continued in next post .......

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

..... continued.

Chain Pumps Fitted 003.jpg

I made and fitted the upper parts of the Elm Tree Pumps, complete with working handles :

Elm Tree Pumps 001.jpg

Elm Tree Pumps 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The two 9 pounder Guns were next. I cut the various steps in the carriages on the Byrnes saw

Guns 001.jpg

Guns 003.jpg

Some (rather dusty :D ) details of the guns. Once again, more can be found in the full model log :

Guns 006.jpg

Guns 007.jpg

The guns in place. Side Tackles are yet to be fitted - I'm waiting on some of Chuck's 0.3mm line which has kindly been given to me by Grant Dale (Thanks mate :) ):

Guns 004.jpg

Guns 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Two more steps complete this update.

I've made and fitted the Quarterdeck section :

Quarterdeck 001.jpg

Quarterdeck 002.jpg

And also shaped and fitted the Entry Steps and the various molded rails, Planksheers and Hances :

Entry Steps.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sweet work, Danny. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Danny

Simply inspirational! That's wrong.....there's nonthing simple about this build..... l'm lost for the correct word.

A true master at work in every form.

havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Fabulous Danny, as always! Hopefully, Australia Post won't let us down and you'll have the extra rope in a couple of days. :)

Really wonderful, Dan.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Danny,

I like the way you present the gun positions, looks fantastic...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very neat work as usual Danny.  I particularly like the effect of having the cut-through for detail of the hatch and grating as it shows their construction very nicely; something not shown very often or if at all.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments and Likes :) .

The last few pieces of work. Thanks again to Grant for the rigging line I needed to finish off the guns - they turned out pretty well I think :

Finished 001.jpg

Finished 003.jpg

Finished 004.jpg

The Gangways and Ladder. Tricky getting the mortices for the angles on the stiles cut correctly, as there is a 5 degree difference between the two sides. I had to have two goes at it, as I cut them back-to-front the 1st time :

Gangways 001.jpg

Gangways 002.jpg

Ladder 001.jpg

Ladder 002.jpg

Ladder 003.jpg

Continued in next post .....

Cheers, Danny

.... continued.

The Railing for the gangway and it's Newell Post and Bracing :

Gangways 003.jpg

Gangways 004.jpg

Finally, the port Channel, Deadeyes and Chains. All pieces were constructed in similar fashion to the full model :

Deadeyes.jpg

Pics of the finished model will be added shortly.

Cheers, Danny

Some beautifully executed detail work there Danny

cheers

Pat

Thank you Pat and John.

Here are the pics of the finished project :

Finished 001.jpg

Finished 002.jpg

Finished 003.jpg

Finished 005.jpg

Finished 006.jpg

Finished 007.jpg

Finished 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:   :cheers:  

I thought you needed a few more beers to celebrate this lovely model.

cheers

Pat

Impressive isn't quite the right word, Danny.  What Pat said works for me also.   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dan,

as I've expected another wonderful masterpiece. I like your x-section very much and think it will be a nice add on for my own project.

Thanks for sharing

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Congratulations and now time to break out that bottle of aged scotch and give her a toast.  Beautiful workmanship.

David B

Edited by dgbot

congrats Danny,

this is a beautiful performed model section, love to the details in every part of it, a delight to look at...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations Danny, another masterpiece completed.

So what's next? Enquiring minds want to know.