I use the Panavise, mounted to a piece of 3/4" MDF large enough to clamp it to my bench / table.  Portable and sturdy.

Maury

if I were to get another vise, I would also consider the Panavise 301. It is simple, easy to mount (don't even consider the vacuum type), and you can readily change the jaws if and when they get worn.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jazzchip,

I would recommend you to look into the brand Panavise.

They have several different vises but the best of it they have a variety of clamps or just vacuum base as well.

I received the following clamp yesterday and it is doing the job without marring.

post-967-0-68490300-1446239752_thumb.jpgpost-967-0-35634100-1446239860_thumb.jpg

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I use a Panavise and I also picked up one of these Drill Press Vise's at Harbor Freight :

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

It is invaluable for filing edges exactly straight, (use the top edge of the jaws as a guide) creating scarf joints and the like, it's small and portable....

post-574-0-64822600-1446241436_thumb.jpg

Edited by ASAT

Dr. Per,

I'm not sure if what I wrote has been transmitted. I thank you for your comments. Panavise is a favorite among many of the respondents of NRG. I wish Consumer Reports would do a comparison of bench vises. There is obviously a strong interest in the subject judging by the number of people who have commented on my question. It's all been very helpful.

Jazzchip

I use a Panavise and I also picked up one of these Drill Press Vise's at Harbor Freight :

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

It is invaluable for filing edges exactly straight, (use the top edge of the jaws as a guide) creating scarf joints and the like, it's small and portable....

attachicon.gifpost-574-0-51414600-1417409561.jpg

That is a great way to use a vise for filing the tops of parts. It is exactly why replacing jaws becomes important later on, no matter how you use the small one.

I keep forgetting what you showed. Thanks.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

HI all,

I said I would post a review after I got my Proxxon vice. I have only started using it today but I have a few things to say. Keep in mind I am a first time builder and most of my world for the last few months has been planking. So hopefully that qualifies my comments appropriately. I have been using my big 20 year old vice (first pic). It is heavy and must be bolted down when I need it. Not such a big deal except it uses up a lot of room and if I want to change the position I have to drill new bolt holes.

The Proxxon vice is clamped on and is articulating (second pic). No assembly required out of the box. There's no plastic anywhere. The metal ball is firmly clamped and the vice mechanisms appear to be solid upon initial fastening. The jaws have a rubber insert that clamps my planks firmly without the need for as much pressure as the aluminum angle stock I use for my other vice. The insert width is 78 mm (~3 inches) which seems adequate for my plank planeing although I wouldn't mind a little wider. I could easily use my aluminum inserts to create that extra width if I find I need it.

So I find this vice to be much more convenient than my old big one and I can see this being very useful going forward. $54 CDN delivered in 2 days free shipping.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-79994700-1446489397_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-29532900-1446489400_thumb.jpg

You're welcome Jazzchip. Let us know what you get and how it works. I imagine we all have different needs at different stages of our builds but it is interesting to see what vices rise to the top (no pun intended).

Alan, that's a Veritas miniature low-angle block plane. High quality plane, Canadian company but marketed by Lee Valley. I bought a set of 6 planes (router plane, shoulder plane, block plane, spokesplane, edge plane and ??). I have only used the block plane for tapering planks. But I use it all the time.

I'm intrigued by the small plane on your bench. I have not seen one like that before. Could you post some details please?

Would be appreciated.

Alan 

It looks like it is this one....  Nice!!      http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70138&cat=1,41182

That's it and it reminded my of the 6th item - the chisels - another set of tools I use all the time. Somewhere along the line I'm going to have to learn how to sharpen these things...

Ian

I have the same set of planes plus the chisel set from Veritas/Lee Valley and am very satisfied with their performance. I use them all the time

Actually the Veritas planes and chisels are ready to go right out of the box.  All they need is an occasional strop on a piece of leather.  I have yet to put them to a "stone".

Good choice.  I have this same vice and I have really enjoyed using it.  I mounted mine on the PanaVise 312 base. Here is a picture of the base and the product description:

post-15-0-43356100-1446737620_thumb.jpg

The PanaVise 312 Tray Vise Base Mount is a cast aluminum base mount that helps stabilize the vise and features six integral parts wells with rounded and sloped walls for easy parts retrieval. The PanaVise 312 includes six non-marring, anti-skid pads and has three 0.25-20 holes that are drilled and tapped on the outer lip for mounting accessories such as the 371 Solder Station. It is compatible with the 201 PV Jr. Vise and 300 & 305 Bases.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

As it happens I have just obtained a Proxxon  vice and, as I already own a Dremel one, I have made a side by side comparison.

Where Dremel use plastic Proxxon use metal. My Dremel is suffering a plastic section failure where it is bending under tension rather than tightening. I will keep the Dremel as the jaws open much wider than the Proxxon but the latter will be my day by day tool.

For UK buyers. It is still cheaper to buy direct from Germany, TBS-Aachen in my case, even though Amazon list TBS as an alternative supplier! When will this ripping off end?

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Good choice.  I have this same vice and I have really enjoyed using it.  I mounted mine on the PanaVise 312 base. Here is a picture of the base and the product description:

attachicon.gifP002-000010_312.jpg

The PanaVise 312 Tray Vise Base Mount is a cast aluminum base mount that helps stabilize the vise and features six integral parts wells with rounded and sloped walls for easy parts retrieval. The PanaVise 312 includes six non-marring, anti-skid pads and has three 0.25-20 holes that are drilled and tapped on the outer lip for mounting accessories such as the 371 Solder Station. It is compatible with the 201 PV Jr. Vise and 300 & 305 Bases.

Thank you, Ryland. I was trying to decide which base to get and I thought the 312 was more versatile. That settles it. I appreciate your comments.

Nice looking and apparently useful new vice. But don't throw out, sell or store that old one. Get someone to, or you do it, make a portable stand that will hold the base of your old vice about bench height. Use a pipe or a 4 X 4 between the floor end of your stand and the top plate. That plate should hold the vice without any protrusions outside of the base of your vice. There is a surface on your old vice to use as a firm backing surface for setting rivets etc.. You may even find that planning your planks might be easer when using that free standing vice because of better access, same with sawing or sanding, heck if nothing else, you could use it as a short hat rack.

jud

You will not regret obtaining the PanaVise.  I have several heads for it the 303 & 361 I use the most.

Thank you, mischief. Being a rookie, this is all new to me. So many people favor the panavise that I felt comfortable with the decision. You all were a big help in making the choice.

Nice looking and apparently useful new vice. But don't throw out, sell or store that old one. Get someone to, or you do it, make a portable stand that will hold the base of your old vice about bench height. Use a pipe or a 4 X 4 between the floor end of your stand and the top plate. That plate should hold the vice without any protrusions outside of the base of your vice. There is a surface on your old vice to use as a firm backing surface for setting rivets etc.. You may even find that planning your planks might be easer when using that free standing vice because of better access, same with sawing or sanding, heck if nothing else, you could use it as a short hat rack.

jud

Shiloh, that's a wonderful suggestion. I'll bet many of the people who read your reply are going to follow your advice. Thank you.