Vasa by RobZorba - Billing Boats - 1:75

Glueing the hinges to gun port covers to the gun ports was a fiddly job.  I wanted every hinge to be parallel and the spacing to be correct for assembly to the gun ports later.  SO I made a small "jig" to hold the cover in place and define the correct spacing for the hinges which were hammered 1cm pieces of copper wire with a 2mm 135 degree bend at the end.  I used cyano glue and accelerator, then filed any surplus cyano away after it was set.

post-22157-0-68571100-1447780573_thumb.jpg

post-22157-0-07438300-1447780583_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobZorba

Here's an image of a gun port and cover from the full size Vasa, showing the ropes that were used to open and close the gun port cover.  There's a small ring attached to each side of the gun port cover, with a separate rope tied to each ring.  The upper rope is under tension because it is holding the gun port cover open.  The lower rope is used to pull the cover into its fully closed position, and then tie it off under tension so the cover remains closed in bad weather.  I am thinking of using some thin copper wire to make the rings ... will the work on modifying the "Billing" gun ports ever finish? 

Can anyone tell me what the "step" with a hole in the middle is, the piece highlighted in red?

post-22157-0-46917300-1447781880_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobZorba

Rob,

Nice update. 

PS: Looking at photos of the 1/10th always makes me feel so insecure (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Another question ... some modellers "created" a skylight in the lower galleries, probably based on this view of the actual Vasa.  I think this is not a "skylight".  I checked the digital plans published by the museum and they show a full door in the gallery roof.  Does anyone know the answer?  Was there a boarding door in the roof of the lower gallery?  Both port and starboard?  Why do no model kits show this door in their plans?

post-22157-0-51895900-1447783754_thumb.jpg

post-22157-0-11950000-1447783598_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobZorba

Peter is correct. I needed to research this as well. As you know Corel puts a door there. Wrong. 

post-735-0-72441500-1447795173_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-11304300-1447795764_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great job on the gun port hinges! I really like how you pay close attention to detail! :)

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Peter and Mark,

Thanks for your replies ... I agree with you both ... but I am really puzzled why the Museum issued digital drawings in 1970 (with the VasaMueet name and address on them) showing a door and not a window.  The line drawing excerpt I posted earlier is from the VasaMuseet digital drawings dated 1970, not from Corel or a kit manufacturer.  Supposedly the digital drawings were based on a laser scan of the actual ship.  But if it is true about the laser scan, then why the incorrect imagery showing there being a door in that position?

Here's an image of a gun port and cover from the full size Vasa, showing the ropes that were used to open and close the gun port cover.  There's a small ring attached to each side of the gun port cover, with a separate rope tied to each ring.  The upper rope is under tension because it is holding the gun port cover open.  The lower rope is used to pull the cover into its fully closed position, and then tie it off under tension so the cover remains closed in bad weather.  I am thinking of using some thin copper wire to make the rings ... will the work on modifying the "Billing" gun ports ever finish? 

Can anyone tell me what the "step" with a hole in the middle is, the piece highlighted in red?

attachicon.gifWP_20150823_11_11_19_Pro v2.jpg

Hi Rob,

In my opinion this is scupper from middle deck on which they are installed pumps.

Tadeusz

post-8878-0-70437000-1447802894_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-39393600-1447802920_thumb.jpg

The drainage channel

post-8878-0-65583900-1447802932_thumb.jpg

Elm tree pump on middle deck stern pardt.

Tadeusz is correct. Nice pics as well

Rob there are also deck drain holes for all three decks along each side of the hull. Look at your longitudinal museum sheet. (weather, upper and lower decks) they appear as squares with a black circle inside each square.

The one you were asking about is also in the museum drawing right where it should be. Took me a while to even see that small detail. Your eyes are way ahead of mine (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

That "door".... uh-- yes..  As I recall, the museums drawings were done in the 70's based on early research.  At that point, they still thought the paint was blue and the figures were gilded.  It could be that the plans haven't been updated.  That might just be a ventilation hole cut in after the ship was raised... I'm not sure but then, I'm no expert.

You might email the museum and ask.  Include what you've given us.  Fred Hocker and there's another gentleman who's name escapes me are good about helping out modelers on this kind of thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rob/Mark

There has been a revision to the 70s drawings. Still dated and probably with very minor changes.

Oops I just noticed that two cannons are missing from the lower gun deck! Should I pull mine out ha ha.

FYI: Second photo note the deck drain hole just below the kevel. and you can see a small hole on the other side as well from the deck.

Michael

post-735-0-15188700-1447862159_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-52891200-1447862205_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Here's one of the completed gun ports ... in fact all 54 of them are completed and waiting to be fitted ... the hatch covers are bits of lollipop sticks, the hinges are hammered bits of brass wire, and the canon is mounted to a small square of perspex with a hole drilled, and a "gun carriage" painted in black on the back.  The lights installed in the model shine through the perspex of the gun port.

post-22157-0-76939200-1448065121_thumb.jpg

post-22157-0-51941000-1448065134_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I regret to say that this build log will not continue.  There was a theft from the garage in which I had my workshop, and the tools were stolen and the model was vandalized and damaged beyond repair.

I was too upset to tell anyone until now.  But I have started another build which is of HMS Prince, the Constructo kit.

20191208_004604.jpg

That is terrible!  

You have the Admiral’s and my condolences.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Sorry to hear about that. I had a garage broken into once as well -- thieves took all the tools I had inherited from my grandfather. I filed a police report, but of course nothing was ever recovered.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane