HMS Revenge by Denis R - Victory Models (Amati) - Scale 1:64

I cannot imagine a shop selling kits in UNSEALED boxes.  So indeed Amati should be the one to blame.

But I can also imagine a shop owner being a modeller him(her)self and being tempted to have a peek into the contents.

About those side decorations, Chris Watton says they are printed onto an excellent quality paper  Yet to insure they won't get yellowish or the colours get pale, I would certainly apply some protecting varnish.  Don't you agree?

Happy building

JP

Hi JP

The kit did not come with any wrapping round it or any seals on the lid.

I got my SoS from the same shop and if you read that log half of the kit was missing and I do mean half.

If the decorations come on paper like the plans are printed on they must be very good, not sure about varnishing them, it will depend on what ink they have used, will have to do a test first when I get them.

Yes the owner of the shop is a model builder.

Denis

Hi all

The decorations have been ordered but no hurry for them.

As I said frame 4 was a bit on the low side when dry fitted to the keel.

I have put a about a 1.50mm filler block into the slot on the keel.

This has raised frame 4 to line up with frame 3.

I have not looked at the plans yet to see if this is correct.

If it is not then I will adjust it as per the plans.

All of the frames are only dry fitted.

Denis.

post-303-0-47175300-1451532887_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-75344300-1451532924_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-71372900-1451532949_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-84422000-1451532972_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-77915700-1451532990_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Started to glue the frames starting with frame 8, with my favorite PVA glue Titebond.

Ok I now I over glue them ha-ha.

I don't know what other people use to get them square with the keel but I like bulldog clips.

I do make sure with my square and they are always spot on.

Denis.

post-303-0-40536200-1451537341_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-98593700-1451537353_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Well I have come to a sudden halt ha-ha.

The instruction book page 5 calls for the lower deck 197 to be planked before gluing to the inside of the bulkhead frames.

I don't have deck 197 but have two half's 197A and 197B.

Not sure if I have an old kit with a new instruction book or an new kit with an old instruction book ha-ha.

So I have now got to glue the two half's in and plank the deck in situ.

The first plank will go down the center to hide the joint of the two half's.

I know that you will not see most of this deck.

Denis.

post-303-0-73670000-1451700690_thumb.jpg

Hi sorry I am back again.

Decks 197A and 197B  are now in place ( just dry fitted only ).

I have got to say how well the parts fit together , little adjustment at all.

Very happy with this kit so far.

Denis.

post-303-0-54871700-1451709606_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-40684500-1451709623_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-48496300-1451709642_thumb.jpg

Fits in there real nice!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Fits in there real nice!!

Frank

Hi Frank

Yes it look like a very good kit to build.

May be your next one, what do you think ????.

Denis.

Those bulkhead extensions look pretty fragile.

Mark

Hi Mark

Yes I am very worried about them, but I think they may be a bit stronger than base wood.

Denis

Denis,

I'll wager you have a kit with a modification for that deck.  Also, I'm guessing that those bulkheads are a lot stronger than they would be in plywood.. but don't go testing that.  :D  :D :D  :D  

Looks like an interesting kit. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Denis,

I'll wager you have a kit with a modification for that deck.  Also, I'm guessing that those bulkheads are a lot stronger than they would be in plywood.. but don't go testing that.  :D  :D :D  :D  

Looks like an interesting kit. 

Hi Mark

No way am I going to test the MDF bulkheads :);) ;) ;):D

Denis

Hi

For those of you that are thinking of building this kit or have started and the deck part 197 was all in one and not in two parts like mine (197A and 197B ) you are very lucky as you can plank that deck off the ship and make a good job of it.

My deck came in two parts so I had to glue it on the ship before planking as the first plank goes down the center.

I found it very hard to plank the deck, very worried not to snap the bulkhead frames off.

The worst part was trying to sand the planking down, again very worried not to snap the bulkhead frames off.

So taking every thing into consideration it is a very bad planking job, so I am very sorry.

I have 3 more coats of satin varnish to put on.

Denis.

post-303-0-30975400-1452129512_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-92114200-1452129538_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me Denis....... nice job!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi all

As the varnish is drying I thought I would start to cut the new wooden gratings down to fit the kit framing.

When I have done all three gratings I think I will have to put a 1mm thick plank on top of the frame.

With the upper decks I will make my own frames out of walnut.

I don't know what I would do with out my Byrnes disc sander.

Denis.

PS the grating in the photo is only dry fitted it is not finished yet.

post-303-0-94492600-1452141061_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-68649300-1452141080_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-24408000-1452141100_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis

Looking good so far.  Think I managed to plank the lower deck off the model, but the gun deck definitely needs to be fitted first before planking to hide the join.  If I remembered correctly the only other deck that needs planking in situ is the forecastle lower deck, tricky little devil to fit!   Don't worry too much if you do break the tops of the bulkheads on the forecastle, they're pretty redundant as the side patterns go on easy and you cut them off before fitting the forecastle upper deck anyway.

A quick word to the wise, check the width of the Tanganyika planks, they're supposed to be 4mm for deck and 5mm for the hull, but they're actually just over 4mm and slightly under 4mm, the wider ones in the bundle designed for planking the deck.  I actually used the narrower strips for decking and the wider ones for the hull.  It's no big deal just have to think about the spacing of the whales a little bit when you come to it (just have a look at my log, I did enough banging on about it!!!). 

So far so good mate, keep up the good work. I'll be putting up a post on mine in the next couple of weeks, haven't had as much time to work on the model the past couple of months, but she's coming on nicely now the rigging's going on.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

My deck planking bundle (Tanganyika 1x4mm) came with a label taped to them saying DECK PLANKING.

Thank you for the tip, re bulkhead frames.

Denis.

Hi all

I have done the three gratings.

I have also put a strip of 1mm walnut round the top of frame.

Denis.

post-303-0-95293000-1452213842_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-57222000-1452213858_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-94462000-1452213871_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have just put the gratings on the deck just to see what it looks like (dry fitted only).

Sorry about the dust in the gratings ha-ha.

Now going to sand the deck down again.

Denis.

post-303-0-02410800-1452223162_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denis R

Hi Dennis,

I have been watching you & Martin and you've motivated me to also purchased the kit. I've yet to inventory. Your progress is excellent and with your kind permission I'd like to continue to observe.

Though trivial, please tell me exactly what varnish you like. All my experience has been with oil base on full size vessels - is a different product used for hobby purposes?

Respectfully,

John Maguire

Seattle

Edited by John Maguire

Hi Dennis,

I have been watching you & Martin and you've motivated me to also purchased the kit. I've yet to inventory. Your progress is excellent and with your kind permission I'd lake to continue to observe.

Though trivial, plese tell me about exactly what varnish you like. All my experience has been with oil base on full size vessels - is a different product used for hobby purposes?

Respectfully,

John Maguire

Seattle

Hi John

I do hope you will purchase this kit, as it looks like it is going to be a nice build.

As for following my build you are more than welcome as I am sure Martin would like you to follow his build also.

As for varnish, I just use house varnish, the one I am using now is Wattyl Estapol Satin polyurethane , I am also using this on the "RW".

My SoS build I used Resene polysatin.

If you are going to stain any wood I would never use a stain/varnish mix, I always use a wiping stain and then 3 coats of satin varnish.

As for paint I would always use model paint, the pigments are ground down a lot finer.

Hope this helps you.

Denis.

Hi Denis

Your Revenge is looking great. I'm enjoying following both Martin's and your progress.

Q?  What process do you follow to accurately identify the many thread sizes? 

Malcolm      

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Hi sorry I am back again.

Decks 197A and 197B  are now in place ( just dry fitted only ).

I have got to say how well the parts fit together , little adjustment at all.

Very happy with this kit so far.

Denis.

Hi Denis - Looking Very Nice - I would like to follow this Build as i have with the others. Another Nice looking Ship

- visi

Hi all

Just finished the gun deck planking.

The deck planking is all over the place in width sizes, from 3.25mm to 4.25mm.

As I cut my planks to 100mm long, it took just over 2 planks.

So I sorted 3 planks out that were the same size let us say 3.75mm and glued them down onto the deck.

The next plank may be 4.10mm so again I found 3 that was that size and so on and so on.

I am leaving the trimming of the openings for the gratings till

Hi all

Just finished the gun deck planking.

The deck planking is all over the place in width sizes, from 3.25mm to 4.25mm.

As I cut my planks to 100mm long, it took just over 2 planks.

So I sorted 3 planks out that were the same size let us say 3.75mm and glued them down onto the deck.

The next plank may be 4.10mm so again I found 3 that was that size and so on and so on.

I am leaving the trimming of the openings for the gratings till I have made the frames for them.

I have started to scrape back the planks with some glass, when that is done I will sand with some 400 grit paper.

Denis.

post-303-0-75289300-1452906022_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-86431200-1452906038_thumb.jpg

That color looks great Denis....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"