hello 

I'm trying to find a tutorial for how to curve the bow block filler and the counter block

can someone explain me how to do it?

thank you.

Michael.

post-14163-0-82885400-1446249855_thumb.png

post-14163-0-85061800-1446250066_thumb.png

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

I don't have a tutorial but here are a couple pictures of how I went about cutting and contouring those items.

I hope this helps.

I first rough cut the block out of bass wood (you could use balsa) and carved some of the main contours.

post-246-0-47929200-1446253687.jpg

Then I used some 'hot glue' to mount them at the end of a stick so I could sand the part on my disk sander without burning my fingers.

post-246-0-31264600-1446253731.jpg

Obviously the final parts need a lot more work but that is better done after you install them and file them smooth along with the bulkheads.

post-246-0-65271000-1446253753.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Have you looked at this resource? I know that I found it useful.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/BowandSternFillerBlocks.pdf

Steve

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have used both basswood and balsa. I found that balsa was very soft when trying to screw in planking screws. I partially solved the problem by giving them a few coats of a PVA and water mix. When dry this firmed them up a bit. I still preferred the basswood though.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

To help with doing filler blocks, trace the templates from your kit plans, and then glue these to some stiff card.

Once the glue has dried, cut them out, paying particular attention to the inside of the curves, which will be where these templates will marry-up with your shaped filler blocks.

post-675-0-09196600-1446272623_thumb.jpg

Also using your kit plans, there should be markings to show at which level each template should fit (mine were labelled A, B, C and D). Mark these "levels" on the backs (where they will be joined to your false keel and the bulk-heads) and across the faces of your filler blocks.

post-675-0-27692200-1446272620_thumb.jpg

For me, at least, I found these templates to be an easy way to check that I had (finally !!) removed enough wood !!

post-675-0-66671000-1446273170_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you all !

I'm going to work on the rattlesnake of model shipways

And now I'm checking the plans ...

Hornet The block filler is to smal so I can't do as the tutorial it's will be very smal pices to work with...

CaptainSteve can you explain me the steps again my English is not very well but it sounds interesting the guide that you wrote

Also I didn't understand what you wrote about the levels (what levels mean?)

Thank you

Michael.

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

CaptainSteve can you explain me the steps again my English is not very well but it sounds interesting the guide that you wrote

Also I didn't understand what you wrote about the levels (what levels mean?)

Thank you

Michael.

Michael,

Unfortunately, I did not keep the templates I had made once the filler blocks were done. All I did was to trace these templates from my plans ...

post-675-0-26709200-1446298082_thumb.jpg

Starting with the upper picture of Detail 2-H above, each of four templates would be cut from the left-hand side, and going through to the relevant curved line.

When transferred to card and cut-out, these are then held against the hull at the relevant levels (see lower picture of 2-H). They will indicate if your filler block still requires more trimming ...

post-675-0-69388300-1446298084_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps, and maybe others have better pictures of this process !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

thank you!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I use expanding foam from a spray can. One can get it at "Home Depot" the old cans used to have to be used all at once. The new stuff can be used again and again if you seal the nozzle as directed.

It expands quite a bit, so a little goes a long way. Make sure it has an outlet so over expansion has a place to go.

I generally let it dry for about 3 days, then trim off excess. You'll find it dries pretty hard. Can be trimmed with any sharp edge and can be sanded.

It states that you can paint it, I don't know for sure because I only use it between the bulkheads and then plank over it.

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.