Jazz, I don't consider it an issue of "control" as much as I do my responsibility as a parent to inform and educate. I hope that my children will see the value of expressing their creativity and that there are necessary boundaries to be maintained - no matter what the outlet of that creativity may be. 

In the carving classes our experienced carvers give to newcomers, they teach that you should carve from your wrist not your forearm (elbow to wrist) or arm (shoulder to wrist) - using the full power of your arm or forearm to power the blade thru the wood can result in injuries and loss of control. But using only the power in your wrist to power the blade gives more control over the cut.  If you have to use the forearm or arm then as Druxey pointed out above, make sure you are cutting away from the body and that no one is standing in front or alongside of you.

For even more control, use the power in your fingers (i.e grip) to pull the blade thru the wood, but make sure you wear a thumb guard and know where the thumb is in relation to the blade.

And keep the blades razor sharp - a dull blade causes more injuries than a sharp one - and I know that sounds like an oxymoron but it is not.

Edited by Jack12477

Last post from me on subject: Here's the bench dog/stop I made and use for holding piece being carved.  The V slot acts as a stop. There is no 90 degree corner so the wood chips don't accumulate in the corner. It's made of 1/2 inch birch plywood with maple for the rest.

By "last post" I mean I have nothing more to post; but if anyone has questions fire away I will do my best to answer them;

post-13502-0-41310600-1446821628_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-37542000-1446821629_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-39335000-1446821627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Just to enlarge the subject a bit: gloves and power-tools are No-No. Never wear gloves when working with either hand-held power-tools or stationary machinery. The gloves can easily get caught in tools or chucks and the torque even small machines can exert is devastating. They can rip off fingers.

Personally, I rarely wear gloves for any work, as I just don't have the 'feel' with them. Being short-sighted, of course, I always wore glasses and feel naked without them. Past 45, when eye accomodation became a problem, I started to wear protective glasses, either plain or magnifying ones.

Unfortunately, I don't have children (and consequently grandchildren) of my own, so I have no practical experience in teaching them. I remember, however, that my father forbid me to use his wood chisels. At that time, I rather thought in order not to damage them, rather than not to damage myself - as I always was building something, I 'lent' them from his unlocked tool-cupboard until I was given my own tools at about age 8.

P.S. after having come across another 'thread': yes, I do wear leather gloves when cutting glass ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

You can probably imagine the reaction when a tough construction worker is told he has to wear gloves.  I wore gloves most of the time at work and didn't get harassed about it but if one of the guys was caught wearing gloves, he caught a lot of flak.  After I had been in the trades about 20 years, personal safety was coming to the forefront.  Contractors were getting hefty insurance premiums and the insurance companies were requiring contractors to meet certain safety standards or get hit in the pocket book even harder.  That was in the mid-90's.

When I heard the guys razzing one of the guys wearing gloves I would ask, "What part of your body is most often injured at work,"  The answer was always "the hands."  But that answer would usually be followed with something like, "So what. It's part of the job."  One guy in our local was known as "Hammer Hands" because he was seen breaking up pallets with his bare hands.

Sometime in the early 2000s I started to see contractors issuing gloves and required the guys to wear them.  You should have heard the griping!  Then one contractor found Perfect Fit gloves and the guys absolutely fell in love. 

It turned out most guys hated gloves because they lost feel and dexterity.  Most gloves made at the time were at best hand covers and they didn't last very long.  Very little dexterity was lost with the Perfect Fit gloves and they lasted forever.  They also provided some cut protection.  I had been wearing soft leather gloves all those years but when I tried on my first Perfect Fit gloves, I was hooked.

But all good things must come to an end...  The company that makes them messed with perfection.  They increased the nitrile coating to the gloves and killed the feel and dexterity.  I haven't been able to find the original in years.   

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I never wear gloves when using my Exacto or carving knives. I find them very cumbersome when doing precise work, however I am extremely careful about the rule of "never pull a knife in the direction where there is another part of your body" . I never ever wear gloves (or even unbuttoned long sleeve shirts) when working on my lathe, however eye and face protection here is mandatory.

I wear eye protection in my shipbuilding when doing potentially hazardous actions like pulling out nails with pliers. They sometimes jump to your face.

I have never had a serious injury, but to say that I have never shed blood (and sweat and tears) over a ship, would be a lie.  :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

You can probably imagine the reaction when a tough construction worker is told he has to wear gloves.  I wore gloves most of the time at work and didn't get harassed about it but if one of the guys was caught wearing gloves, he caught a lot of flak.  After I had been in the trades about 20 years, personal safety was coming to the forefront.  Contractors were getting hefty insurance premiums and the insurance companies were requiring contractors to meet certain safety standards or get hit in the pocket book even harder.  That was in the mid-90's.

When I heard the guys razzing one of the guys wearing gloves I would ask, "What part of your body is most often injured at work,"  The answer was always "the hands."  But that answer would usually be followed with something like, "So what. It's part of the job."  One guy in our local was known as "Hammer Hands" because he was seen breaking up pallets with his bare hands.

Sometime in the early 2000s I started to see contractors issuing gloves and required the guys to wear them.  You should have heard the griping!  Then one contractor found Perfect Fit gloves and the guys absolutely fell in love. 

It turned out most guys hated gloves because they lost feel and dexterity.  Most gloves made at the time were at best hand covers and they didn't last very long.  Very little dexterity was lost with the Perfect Fit gloves and they lasted forever.  They also provided some cut protection.  I had been wearing soft leather gloves all those years but when I tried on my first Perfect Fit gloves, I was hooked.

But all good things must come to an end...  The company that makes them messed with perfection.  They increased the nitrile coating to the gloves and killed the feel and dexterity.  I haven't been able to find the original in years.   

I've known many guys who wouldn't wear ear protection or gloves as a sign of being macho. We're not the smartest of genders sometimes.

I've worked with sharp knives in a kitchen. I got my share of nicks and cuts, lost my pinkie fingertip but otherwise all is intact. But I started wearing a cut proof glove as I got older when my hands didn't always do eactly as I wanted them too. Once you commit to the glove it is a lot easier to get used to. One thing to do to increase sensitivity is put a rubber glove over the cutproof.

Also it is not the nice controlled cut that will get you its the one where the unexpected happens. I have a nice 2 inch scar on my wrist . I was using a Japanese razor saw when the wood suddenly split and the saw swerverd into me. The arm was 18" away from the saw. Nearly put me out of the game and scared the crap out of me.  

• 6 months later...

Being a fitter by trade and working in the conveyor field for 20 years, there are 2 rules which has seen me safe

1/ wear a cutting glove on your 'non' cutting hand only, thus you can still 'feel' your work.

2/ never put your fingers or hand where you wouldn't put your d&$k.

Excuse the wording, but the latter rule kind of hits home!

Humf