Sergal Cutty Sark

bonedoctor51

Good questions.  I sewed the rings into the corners after trimming off the excess.  No lines actually went through the sail cloth.

The sheet and tack lines for the lower sails are a problem.  I might use chain painted tan so that I can get a nice swag.  rigging line simply looked untidy.  Very fine chain is available from Micro-Mark.  Easy to blacken or paint.  It has some heft to it and holds its shape. An alternative is to furl the lower sails, still a possibility, but that is not my preferred look.

Send some pictures!!!   Lou

• 4 weeks later...

Friends, I need help.  I am almost finished a fully rigged Sergal Cutty Sark.  I have no idea how to make the bumpkins. 

Any suggestions?  I don't want to use eyebolts in the hull -- not true to the ship architecture.

As for the sails, I just cut of the excess material and sewed rings into the corners.  Some adjustment of yard height was needed, but the overall effect is satisfactory to my eye.

Now for the bumpkins.  Help!  Thanks  Lou

IMG_0456[2159].jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Very nice work! I had typed a reply when I was a guest, but for some reason, it hasn't shown up. (Good thing I saved it on my notepad at home. I'll copy paste it later.)

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Current Build: Cutty Sark, Sergal 1:78

Past Builds:

Cutty Sark - Plastic Half hull - wall mounted. Circa 1978

Cutty Sark - Plastic Full hull. Circa 1981

Cutty Sark - Billing 1:78 Wood Kit - Destroyed by the U.S. Navy. Circa 1988