Thermopylae by kpnuts - Revell - PLASTIC

awesome progress since I last looked in.  hope your holiday is good...........happy new year!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I must have missed it..........the galley structure looks as though it doesn't fit the field.   if this was the Cutty,  it would have sort of a triangular appearance, but this one looks to be more rectangular.   is this an upgrade,  or are these the kit parts?    looks good,  but how do you plan on masking the raised shadow?

one word about the decals.   I got a set for my cutty,  to replace the ones I got with it  {got the kit off E-Bay}  when I went to use them they were micro cracked.   even if they look new.......these decals are old!   treat them with a product called decal bonder....it can be bought alone or can be found in the  'sure thing' decal maker kit  {it's sold by Testor's}.   it will coat the decals and bring them back to life........solving the micro cracking problem.  it was a hard lesson for me.........I don't want it to happen to you!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yes I am somewhat puzzled by that bit the instructions say to paint it black, I assumed there was something went round it or on it, didn't realise I now have a weird black shape on the deck now. The platform for the fire buckets goes on there which won't leave much showing so will give it some thought when they are on as to what to do with it.

yepper........a definite question here.   you see,  back in the time that the 1:96 Revell series was put out {the first few date back to the early 60's},  to make better use of the molds,  they would do knock offs.   the kits are the same,  but have subtle differences added.  the Thermopylae is the knock off from the Cutty.......if it weren't for the decals,  you'd be building the same ship.  I read an article a while back,  where folks complained to Revell that they got Cutty decals in their Thermopylae kit {wish I still had the article}.   I'd check with your friend.....perhaps this is a upgrade for the kit and he was going to add this in.

do you have any extra cabin parts?   what do the instructions say....or look like?   I have the instructions for my Cutty still.....I can't recall if they say to paint the area,  but I didn't......it will not be seen.   I also don't see the locator slots for the cabin walls........did you fill them in?   the fire buckets,  if the kit is the same as the Cutty,  will be lined across the aft deck railing....they sit in little holes along it's base.   I looked at some images on line......I saw yours {you subscribe at finescale?},  of course,  I saw nothing definitive.   I have some galley pictures from my cutty:

post-612-0-12352700-1452334142.jpg

post-612-0-34849700-1452334154_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43346000-1452334168_thumb.jpg

this will give you an idea of what to look for.   the concern here is the raised pad that the cabin sits on......it's raised and there is no deck detail.   to sand it down and scribe in the detail would be quite a task.....a bit too much work for an upgrade.  the only logical thought I can think of,  is this is a big goof on Revell's part to differentiate the two ships.  they could have done better than that  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

look'in good KP.............love the old car  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey ho, this Looks really nice! ..

I would like to know: how do you work with this "copper" you had?

Did you have to scrap off what was on the wooden side above the water line? Or did you have to repaint over it?

An idea: why not "covering" the black area behind the captains cabin with an additional grating .. the helmsman usually stand on a grating .. if you would just "enlarge" the existing one, you could cover this area.

• 2 weeks later...

H all here I another update (think I've managed to hide the black now)

Bj6NBy8.jpg

2Dvj9e7.jpg

3Sg2Z9H.jpg

RUCbebk.jpg

HccOEMY.jpg

Popeye the old car is Hellers 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant, its finished now and in a dio, dont think you are allowed to post cars on here but its on Britmodeller under the Vehicles ready for inspection, Citroen Traction Avant Viva Le Resistance if you wanted to check it out .

Hi KP,

Great tutorial on applying washes and tones.  I know of a few new members who are doing plastic that I recommend seeing your posts.  I see your setting up the shrouds off the kits deadeye assemblies.  How are they secured? To the main rail or are they connected to the chain plates?  Reason I ask is that I have set up the ratlines on the Thermopylae, Alabama, and Constitution using a similar technique.  On the both the Thermopylae and Alabama, I did not have them secured enough and a while later, close to completion, they broke loose.  There will be a lot of tension placed on them as the construction gets completed.  Looks like you have them pinned in so I am curious how you did it.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

What type of chain you use ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

the chain plates are a misconception on the Cutty and the Thermopylae.   looking on the top rails,  tabs can be seen to suggest that the dead eye assemblies be cemented there.  actually,  they are to be cemented on the pin rails themselves.   I too found this out later...........makes them look better too ;)

I saw the Avante.....wonderful looking diorama........did you even detail out the power plant too?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well I'm so cross with myself, went  to do some rigging on this and dropped it, snapped off the rear mast broke the shrouds on the fore mast snapped some of the rigging on the bowsprit, a few of the hatches have come off, broken some of the stanchions round the top of the rear cabin. luckily nothing that cant be fixed but its put me back quite a bit, Grrrr and no one to blame but my butter fingers. I could almost swear, flippin heck, blimey and fiddle sticks (sorry for the profanities there)

Yep power plant fully detailed (incredible kit)

well that stinks!  sorry to hear of your mishap.........fingers crossed and good hope,  that you can get'er back ship shape!  ;)

if it will make you feel any better......I took a complete ship  w/sails and stuck it out on the porch........who would have thought that wind could send it flying!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the incident, and if makes you feel any better, although Popeye's is on the extreme side, I have dropped the Imai Catalan Ship that I have been working on twice now. Hopefully you can get her back into a shipshape appereciate soon. Or are you going to concentrate on the Soliel Royal now that you have the correct hull half?

Steve

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

Hi all here is tonight update may I first say anyone contemplating this ship, please read the rigging instructions alongside the build instructions and dont leave them till the end, as you can plainly see I have not done that and still I've made things extremely awkward for myself, there is some rigging from the main mast to the four iron rings in the deck which now I have the belaying pin racks and the foremast shrouds in place will be extremely difficult to attatch.

anyway here is where I'm at now.

hVTcTwB.jpg

YNLBP6c.jpg

Us5qSwa.jpg

nicely done KP.....:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all here is the next update on this 

VrgfOgn.jpg

7OnObAc.jpg

ZdQzntz.jpg

8SEnPAT.jpg

Baring in mind these are almost Identical scales (the thermop is 1/96 and the soliel is 1/100) I still cant believe how much heavier and bulkier and cumbersom the soliel was (I mean I know she had to be able to withstand cannon fire and such) but she must have been sooooooo slooooowwwww 

6mUlKF0.jpg

XG6EKe9.jpg

looking good KP  :)   is there a build log for the Soliel?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Brings back memories.  Years ago I built that model and had a ball.  From painting to modifying the deck.  As for the sails, they were well shaped and were

given what I call a wash with a dirty paint solution from my brush cleaning bottle.  I was in retail at the time and gave it to one of the salesman;s mother as a birthday gift.

David B

I'm not liking that with a ten foot pole!    holy crap my friend........that's really terrible  :(   if the stub is still in there and there's a hole,  perhaps it can be repaired with a suitable dowel.   you may not even have to remove the rigging to do it.  I hope you have good luck with the repair.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: