Thermopylae by kpnuts - Revell - PLASTIC

looks good KP....the deck is filling out nicely.   also appears that you've fixed the bow spirit in good shape........was it an easy fix?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

well done!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

KP......your back!   good to hear the cat didn't eat 'er ;)   look'in forward in seeing the project continue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the mizzen is complete.......and jibs are in place :)   how tough is it going to be doing the second step shrouds?   she's look'in awesome though......so nice to see her again ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi all here is the next update I noticed a split in the vac form mizzen sail and was going to patch it with a stitched square then thought I would experiment with some super glue.
10dcxec.jpg
Unfortunately the superglue made the weathering go white but a coat of acrylic white and you would never know.
sbm3pf.jpg
I've finished all the ratlines on the forecast
n3ads2.jpg
2n04tcn.jpg
sl0jd3.jpg

looking good KP.........yea,  the sails can be very brittle,  the older they get.   I used the missing parts request for some replacement sails for my second Cutty........I got two of the three sheets.   Revell had stopped doing it in the US {last I knew}......but Revell Germany might still be doing it.   check your instructions though,  but the sheet lines shouldn't be on the same side.   I think one should be tied on the starboard side,  and the other end tied on the port side.  I've still got the rigging sheets for the Cutty........they should be the same.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

my Cutty copy doesn't show blocks associated with the sheet lines,  which tie off on the port side #55,  #56,  #56A......just a line tied to the stay sails.   do keep in mind though that these instructions don't show all the lines......there are duplicates for the opposite side.   this is why I have all these extra block to play with on the Jolly Rogers...I forgot about this face when I did the Alabama.   looking on the starboard side,  there are three pins in the same place on the pin rack,  but they are not numbered.  in some cases on the instructions,  they will give you the number of the opposite line {pin}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking good KP :)   it takes the sheer beauty of the sails to bring them around ;)    that's what I love most about this Revell series,  they build to really nice looking models.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi all well this is shelved again for a while I've broken the (I don't know what it's called) the bit that tensions the bowsprit, I'm not actually sure how to fix it as it's very thin plastic and superglue doesn't seem to work I'm so annoyed at my clumsiness, this is the fourth time I've broken something on this kit. I will fix it, it's just annoying.
1znndhz.jpg
esqioi.jpg

it's called the whisker.......part of the cat head.   one remedy I've heard of is with wire.   thin wire with eyes soldered on,  and then cemented via holes drilled into the end of the cat head,  or banded along side of it.   you could also get in touch with someone who has a stock pile of these parts.......but that's a long shot {only one person I know of,   who would be n that position}.

anyway......it's a thought....hope you can get it sorted out ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

good!   knew you could do it! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm livid I was hoping to finish this tonight (so close and now so far) I picked it up to turn it round to do the rigging on the left side of the second mizzen sail and it slipped from my fingers, if I'd let it fall it would probably landed on the floor on it's stand with no damage instead clumsy me tried to save it I broke the bowsprit (again) it took Supreme control not to hurl it at the wall I've managed to create a heath Robinson collection of weights and threads to pull it all together and get all the rigging true (the dolphin striker will be a bit twisted though) I'm hoping when all set it will still all be true and I won't have to strip all the rigging off and start again. I really am cross, I mean really cross, I came so close to finishing her grrr.

did I see her in the gallery?    your finished!?!?!   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: