USS Constitution by xken - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76.8

That's a fantastic picture, Ken !! It appears to show both Royal Studs and Topgallant Studs on the Mizzen, as well as a second Swinging Boom.

I think I'm gunna need a bigger modelling room !!

Just a thought, but with regards to the booms, would the fore ones fold back along the channels, and the main-mast ones fold forward ?? (I'll check again, but I'm sure AOTS only showed the one along each side, though clearly two would be required.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Captain Steve or others...I have read mixed reviews about the AOTS-USS Constitution what are your opinions about the book? Is it worth purchasing for reference material?  I value more the opinions of those who are builders and using the book.  Also if someone has a used one for sale I would be interested in buying it. Let me know if you have one.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

For a very brief moment, I considered swapping books with you (an autographed Model Building with Brass for my AOTS). But, in truth, I'd really rather have BOTH books.

:D  :D

I have also read some reviews of Marquardt's book that say it is not entirely accurate. For me, personally, I find it to be a fantastic and extremely detailed tome, although I have never claimed to be any kind of Naval Historian.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Ken,

I use this AOS book with a big grain of salt. There seems to be quite a mix of time periods represented in the plans, from what I can tell. That said, if I have no other information I will use it as a reference. For instance, I plan to make sky sail masts above the topgallant masts, as shown in the book, because I have seen these referenced in other sources. The small boat information was also very good.

Other AOS books, like the one for the Beagle, was really valuable to me because of a lack of other references.

Just a thought, but with regards to the booms, would the fore ones fold back along the channels, and the main-mast ones fold forward ?? (I'll check again, but I'm sure AOTS only showed the one along each side, though clearly two would be required.)

Captain Steve, the booms fold back towards the stern along the channels. I will add the main boom as I did the foremast one already built. Same size and securing brackets. Stay tuned I will post pictures once completed.

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Look again at the picture, Ken.  The mizzen has studding sails out.  Just not on lower one.

post-76-0-02839800-1480729772.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I was referring to the studding sail boom for the mizzen mast swinging out from the hull like the two seen in the picture that I think you are calling the lower one.

Ken

Ah...!!!!   Got it.  My bad.  Going to go stand in the corner.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, just a misunderstanding no need for the corner.

I finished up both waist studding sail booms. Here are pictures of details and overall views they are done pretty much the same as the forward ones. Only major difference was the support brackets on the channel versus a support bracket mounted to the hull. I have no information on the bracket locations and if someone does please advise.

post-18498-0-35387800-1480893908_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-35554500-1480893920_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-44450200-1480893930_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-61973600-1480893942_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-76146500-1480893953_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-39234600-1480893970_thumb.jpg

I also got word from the local Morro Bay Maritime Museum to start the CAD drawings for the first abalone fishing boat that they want for a display. Morro Bay I guess was the capital of the abalone fishing industry years ago and this will be the first major display to be done. Looks like I get to do my first scratch build sooner than I thought. It will be 1" to the foot scale for a 32" long model when completed. The boat subject is a very well known local fishing boat called the "Dirty Dozen" that was built in Morro Bay using plywood that was later clad with fiberglass.

I was able to document and photograph before it was broken up earlier this year. Not as glamorous a build as the Constitution but will still be a little challenging for a scratch build and a chance for me to support the local museum effort. Here are a couple of pictures and as you can see it was rough.

post-18498-0-75711700-1480894304_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-99251500-1480894317_thumb.jpg

I will now be working on both projects as time allows, the deadline for the Dirty Dozen will be sometime in the fall of next year when the first phase of the building is completed.

Edited by xken

Ken

Congratulations on the commission, Ken.  it should be fun (I hope) build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Finishing up the rough in drawings for the Dirty Dozen and forwarded them to the Maritime Museum President for the nod to move forward on building it. Here are a couple of "in progress" drawing files. 

Dirty Dozen.pdf

Lofting Lines.pdf

In the meantime I have been making black rope of different sizes for the standing rigging and will be busy for awhile.  

Ken

Ken:

Please consider doing a build log on the Dirty Dozen.  I think it might be very educational to the forum members to see what is involved with a museum commission, which is different than a model built for pleasure and the home (if it doesn't show don't build it - as one example).

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, would I post it in the "Scratch build" section or someplace else? It will be educational for me as well. :D

Ken

Ken:

Yes, in the scratch built section. 

The big difference in building for yourself vs building for a customer is that time ='s $$.  The more time you take the less you make.  So,  it is critical to establish the degree of detail the customer expects and how long that takes to accomplish, so that a reasonable profit is made.  If the customer isn't paying for your time to build in extra details they need to be left out or you don't make any profit.  This needs to be established up front.  And then the build is started and the builder needs to fight the urge to add this or that detail like they would on their own model where time isn't a factor.  This is a bit off topic for the Constitution build so I will contact you privately for more thoughts on this.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Geoff, Thank you for your kinds words. I am bonding with my ropewalk making various thicknesses of black standing ropes for shroud lines and stay lines. Not exciting work but needs to be done. I am using the DMC Cebelia 310 #'s 10; 20 & 30 crochet thread. Great stuff to work with and I am making 4 foot lengths at a time. 

Kurt, with years of experience as a product design consultant and corporate executive one major lesson I have learned is that regardless of the project people basically want " The Hope Diamond for a quarter." So you are correct in establishing the expectations up front and then exceeding them upon completion, for a happy customer.  

On this build I know up front that I will be donating some of my time to get the Maritime Museum up and running and that there will be more builds down the road. I really have no problem at this point in time in giving back to the community that I live in; which I have done most of my life as I could wherever we lived. I am a firm believer that if you do not invest in the future you will not have one.

http://www.morrobaymaritime.org/about.html

Back to rope making.

Edited by xken

Ken

I've thoroughly enjoyed the marvelous work thus far. Thanks so much for sharing. I am sure that everyone appreciates (as I do)  the simple but detailed narrative and the fact that you've taken the trouble to post LARGE, SHARP photos of the splendid work being done. This thread may well be the finest build log of the kit in question I've had the pleasure to read. In fact, with a bit of editing, it would make a fine book on constructing and improving a large-scale kit, with the techniques which you have so ably demonstrated being applicable to scratchbuilding as well. I know your commission must come first but I do hope you won't neglect this build. You are clearly as much an artist as a craftsman.

Sierra Hotel, bucko.

"Professor"  :cheers:

Edited by Professor

• 2 weeks later...

Professor thank you for your encouraging words! No I will not neglect this build, but rope making in not overly exciting. I am making black standing lines between operations on the DD build. What kind of flying were you involved in?

Last Saturday I ordered the Anatomy of a Ship- USS Constitution and hopefully Santa's elves will get it here before Christmas from the Constitution Museum store. Since my next step will be into rigging I am hoping it will be a valuable resource. In the meantime I am concentrating on the Dirty Dozen build for a Museum Board Update Presentation on Jan. 10.

:cheers:

Ken

Ken,

I got your book as a Christmas present!  What a great read, and I look forward to trying out some of your techniques!

Merry Christmas,

Stubby

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Forgive my ignorance in the matter, Stubby, but what book is that? Would you please be so kind as to share the title and ISBN? Ken's ship modelling skills are truly exceptional and couple well with a not a inconsiderable talent for macro photography and the ability to explain tasks in a straightforward, easy to absorb fashion. Despite long experience of my own, I'm never going to be too old to learn something new or just appreciate the work of a model shipwright rock star. I'd certainly want to lay my hands on anything he has authored on the model shipwright's craft and art.

Best Regards,

Professor     :piratebo5:

I, too, received this book as a Christmas present. Here are the particulars.

Model Building with Brass by Kenneth C Foran ISBN: 978-0-7643-4004-8

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you all for your book purchases! I hope you all enjoy and learn some advantages of working with brass as another model building medium.

I to received the Anatomy of a Ship - USS Constitution which looks like it will be a great resource for doing the rigging when I get back to it. 

Ken

For my review of Ken's book check out the link to the book reviews below.  The review was published in the Guild's Nautical Research Journal but not here on MSW.  I highly recommend the book - and I regret I was unable to make it to the NRG Conference where Ken spoke on the subject of working with brass, but I arranged for a local club member to take my copy to San Diego so I could get Ken's autograph in the book.

Kurt

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/14922-model-building-with-brass/

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Ken,

I've been lurking through your build and it is wonderful. Especially the fabulous metal work. I enjoy working with brass as well and I've learned a number of good techniques through your work. I saw in one of the recent posts that you are coming out with a second edition of your book. Do you have an idea of when it will become available for sale? Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Kurt thanks again for your great support on the book.

John, I doubt it will be available until very late 2017 or early 2018 depending upon the production schedule of the publisher. I will only be adding a chapter on ship building most of which will be based upon my experiences that can be seen on this site between the Niagara and this build.

Ken

Ken,

I've just read through your Niagara build which is also excellent. Why don't you chemically blacken brass. In my opinion, you get much more detail come through. Though you couldn't do the cool trick with glue bolt heads. Have you ever tried to replicate the bolt heads with solder, which could be blackened? Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”