USS Constitution by xken - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76.8

• 2 months later...

She is crated and packed in the car ready to leave in the morning. It will ride on a 1" layer of energy absorbing foam with 3" of clearance above the main mast. I had to tilt at about a 30 degree angle to clear the door opening and the roof has a bulge up that allowed space for the masts. The sides of the frame had to be short into order to clear and rotate back up to fit with the car side wall camber. Everything is snug and tight.

Now all we have to do is leave in the morning and drive to the end of Long Island, NY.

I removed the central hatch cover and tied down across at the rails, trapped fore and aft by the cradle nesting.

5b4fa159c8bd0_Crated02.thumb.jpg.6bfd8b21301eb76d14b55ab549a3ca14.jpg

Created a little pocket for the hatch cover with the pinnace. 

5b4fa16f665c6_Crated03.thumb.jpg.bafbdb3923b2ce9f18934d09c18cc15f.jpg

Here it is with the honey comb cardboard sheet between the frame structure and the gear.

5b4fa18a3c943_Crated04.thumb.jpg.1bee36acb6c4abd69d0bf378e5be02dd.jpg

Wish us luck on our delivery adventure!

Thank you all for your kind wishes on safe travel. We just found out that our son will be arriving in Indianapolis the same evening we will so we are going to try and connect for breakfast the next morning. He is on a three day business trip and will leave Indianapolis that evening. We all will arrive at his house the same afternoon what luck and coincidence. 

Thanks again!

Ken,

As you travel through Ohio, think about stopping at Keim's to stock up on some inventory. Be happy to meet you there.

I just packed up my Niagara, not as securely as your wonderful Constitution, and took it to the Ohio State Fair and entered it into the Miniature Fine Arts Competition. I had a two hour white knuckle drive worrying how she would travel.  I can't imagine a coast to coast trip.  Safe travels friend.

Kurt, you are right for most of the time; but underneath a CH-46 patching bullet holes and other repairs laying on the steel marston mating having baked in the sun for hours that every now and then slight breeze would be hot and dry next to it. For some reason the bullet holes were always on the underside and never on the top, unless one went through the window and up. 

:)

Today a couple of museums in Denver, then on to Topeka, Kansas tomorrow assuming all goes well. Just learned last night that my best friend back in Ohio passed away suddenly. We were to visit and spend a day with him after New York.

Ken,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.

I seem to recall that many of bullets came through the bottom of our birds and out the top.  Two holes for the price of one round.   On the upside, holes in the belly drained the water and accumulated muck between the exterior fuselage and the floor.

I think that was the real reason they took the doors off our Hueys. They said it was to make them lighter so they could get off the ground on hot days fully loaded, but I think it was to save the Government money in damaged doors with bullet holes! We had two types those that we covered with 100MPH tape and those that needed beer cans flattened out and Pop riveted over the holes. Anything bigger than that went to battalion. 

We liked flying with the Chinooks, figured that they made bigger targets!:o 

Lighter and also faster to load and unload, Lou, for the Hueys.  Added benefit was that the door didn't impead the gunner.   At least that was what everyone was told....

We had the doors and rear ramp still in but took out the insulation sheets and all the "glass" in the cabin but not cockpit.  46's and 53's allow the troops to enter and exit via the ramp.  I can't answer for the 46's, but the 53 squadrons there laid down some 1/2" boiler plate on the floor and also hung under the gun in front of the gunner so we had some protection.

Bad news good news! Water pump seized up just before Somerset, PA :angry: able to make it to the Ford dealer in Somerset yesterday afternoon at 4pm. They needed to overnight the parts needed and we are now at the hotel waiting for the work to be completed hopefully by 11am and get back on the road. We are 6.5 hours from our son’s house. The good news is that it happened where we were able to limp in to a Ford dealer that was near by and immediately assessed the problem and ordered the parts and had an employee drop us off at the hotel for the night. :) Now just waiting to hear from them, better to wait at hotel rather than dealer lounge. Hotel has free WiFi. Keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well with the repair and we can still get to destination tonight.

On the above comments, I flew in ‘34’s and ‘46’s and all the crew had for protection was the 40 pound body armor that we wore. Pilots sat in armored seats along with bullet bouncers on. Weight was always an issue in I Corps especially in the mountain areas along the DMZ for the higher altitudes and thinner air. Both types of aircraft were striped bare of non essential gear to compensate for gun weight and armor. 34’s had m-60’s while the ‘46’s had .50 cals. I loved the .50’s and never had a jam, guns came from B-17’sand all ammo cans had 1944 or 1945 dates on them and were anti aircraft ammo :dancetl6: During the Tet battle for Hue city we would be called in to take out a snipers in buildings and the .50’s would go through anything used for building materials. This is when the exploding rounds really did the job. Semper Fi to those who fly!

i think most of will have our fingers crossed for a good finish.   It's great that the dealer was able to jump on this quickly and yeah... i've been there on road with issues so.. <keeping fingers crossed>

The first choppers I worked on -34's for about a year before they were replaced by -53's.   I loved the sound of those engines firing off

Arrived at son’s house with no issues with the ship. It did not move at all. The roughest roads were coming off the George Washington bridge with some very interesting terrain changes on the roads. That stretch could be used as a tank obstacle course. We picked up the glass for the display case and it will be custom built by a friend of my son. They felt it best to have the ship first and then build. I suggested that they add a drawer to hold the Constitution book and build CD. 

I am really enjoying the swimming pool in the east coast heat and humidity.

2 hours ago, xken said:

The roughest roads were coming off the George Washington bridge with some very interesting terrain changes on the roads. That stretch could be used as a tank obstacle course.

Ken, glad to hear that you and the model made it safely across the Bronx's Ho Chi Min trail. :D It hasn't changed in 20 years.  I think some of those potholes could swallow a tank. ;)

Enjoy the Atlantic and Long Island Sound and your family stay - it's pretty hot and humid up here in "Upstate" ;) Catskills also. 

Edited by Jack12477

Thanks for all your kind words! We are having a great time with the twin boys, they are bundles of non stop energy in every direction and extremely smart. They love being in the pool especially with the heat and humidity. We are really going to miss them. Alex enjoys getting mom’s smart phone and dialing FaceTime with us. He did this a couple of times when we were traveling here. Tyler on the other hand is an eating machine and has no problem downing his food at meal time. 

Thanks again for your kind comments.

• 3 weeks later...