John Cudahy by steamschooner - FINISHED - 1/4" scale Steam Tug

Patrick, Not sure whats next I have some ideas. Maybe finish up one I have on the shelf.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I posted on my build. As some of you know I have been casting parts for my build. These are the latest, some anchors for the fore deck. I made up a master out of brass and copper. Made a vulcanized rubber mold to fit a tray a friend made for me. Spun up some anchors and added a cross arm made from copper wire with a small copper ring soldered on for a stop along with a couple small blobs of solder for the balls on the ends. Lightly sandblasted and drilled for arm, chain ring with a little color added.P1013519.thumb.JPG.6239977edbd2b335bd19145bce1ba7d8.JPG

P1013515.JPG

P1013520.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick, I have been at the bench just not alot to show for it. I did manage to get these little buggers made. Two on left the line was to heavy and they came out a little big for scale. I liked the color though. Middle ones are cotton string which was the right size scale wise but the color needed help. I colored one on the left. The three on the right is also cotton string that I found in my line stash. It had a reasonable color and the scale size worked out. Still need some triming and maybe a little coloring/weathering. Now it's on to the bow fender..... oh boy!!P1013542.thumb.JPG.3a4b6e7232981413b4959f4522d4f817.JPG

P1013541.JPG

• 4 months later...

Just so you all know I do work on my model from time to time. Like most I have many spring and summer things to do and do not get to spend much time in the shipyard. I have managed to cast some deck cleats( twice ) The first ones I ended up not liking, in photo on the left. The second ones are more correct with the wood block base as I have seen examples locally5b2c473957653_deckcleats.thumb.jpg.a50db7cb46aa812dae128973f48ef135.jpg. For my stays and shrouds I used some telephone wire That had four coated strands and each strand has 7 small copper strands.P1013625.thumb.JPG.f6d9a9bd9d3c16727df2bbef8193aa5e.JPG After cleaning the coating from the wires I separated them and twisted up 3 strands for my davits and stack stays also aft mast shrouds. P1013628.thumb.JPG.753563a1d9931853bb6901fcb6fcc631.JPGFor my main mast shrouds I twisted up 7 strands. I used a single strand as whipping to tie off eyes. the copper wire will take L.O.S. nicely.P1013643.thumb.JPG.cd5cd643a4808f8a9b26f4dcac50d8dc.JPGNow on to the shroud bars/ladder.

• 4 weeks later...

DANG IT ! ( not the words I really used )5b4b919fb3f4d_dangit.thumb.jpg.cfa82a3876777160a091fdd7b01f4bf3.jpg

No liking that from here but one of sympathy.   I think we've all nipped shroud lines when doing rigging.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done!  The model that is, bummer on the snipped stay.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Yup I've done the snipped stay thing as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 5 months later...

Boy! I guess I should get busy and post some progress. Not much to show for 6 months, but I did get my mast shrouds finished this time without cutting the wrong wire. I have also installed both life ring holders and  have mounted both boats. Added a step on both sides of pilot house just to round things out.P1013774.thumb.JPG.36d053834156edb94410b2fcad21c6ba.JPG

P1013777.JPG

P1013779.JPG

Looking very sharp Steve.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks, Patrick and Michael  Here's another little job done. The J.C. did not have much of a bow fender so I think this will do.569762775_bowfender1.thumb.JPG.05c600b12398fb797d549fe92d7f4f4d.JPG1827395637_bowfender2.thumb.JPG.05db2eef968ff46a903b499b11d95e99.JPG

Talking about wire for rigging, there is now also molybdenum wire easy to come by, down to 0.035 mm diameter - it is used by mobile-phone repair guys, who separate the glass from the LCD-screen with it. It can be fished cheaply in spools from China in the wellknown bay. It is virtually impossible to cut it by accident with scissor or a scalpel, it is just too tough - beware of dents in the tools.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Great progress........she nearly ready to go to work...

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 4 weeks later...

Ok not done yet but getting close. The cabin is mounted for good and the stack is in place with the stays installed.P1013813.thumb.JPG.e9dcf17d3eb8353d46e6db2e42b0076b.JPG Got those steering cables put in their place.P1013814.thumb.JPG.81d419f31535adff236ffc2f0a4893d0.JPG  Fenders are all tried off, anchors stowedP1013812.thumb.JPG.a4a479b6f04c7c9dbcce850265839c9b.JPGP1013816.thumb.JPG.5c4c2da96ea3a0f32d39e8deab0c91bd.JPG Still have a number of things to do yet but I'm near the finish point.

Looking very nice Steve.

Michael

Michael, It's been a long journey but I am happy to get it done. Thanks for looking in.

Patrick, Yes it does look like she is ready to go. I am happy with how it has come together.

Thanks everyone for the likes.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, you forgot to move the blackboard with the ship/camera/steam 😁😁

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Congratulations Steve on the completion of your John Cudahy.  It came out great and is just dripping with atmosphere and realism. Very nice!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks everyone for the likes and following along.

Paul, My bad was not paying alot attention to the black board😄

Chris, Thanks and yes it was a long journey

Kurt, Glad you like her I do have a few other tug builds in mind but not right away.

Gary, I am happy with the finished project, pleased you like her.