John Cudahy by steamschooner - FINISHED - 1/4" scale Steam Tug

Nice work on the straps. I do like the detail of the pilot house. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

She's coming along nicely.  You said, "I make my straps from mild steel wire that I run though a bead roller to flatten it out."  I've been looking for model sized roller to flatten wire.  What one are you using?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Bob, The one I use is one that was built for automotive work. A friend built it for building his hotrods. In the "Ship Modelers Shop notes" there is a small roller shown with notes on how to build it.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Spent a little time in the shipyard and got a couple of things done. First is the anchor davit, which I will need to blacken or paint.post-115-0-32023300-1450833130_thumb.jpg

I turned my masts, painted them and installed a couple of mast lights that I had made for this build.

post-115-0-06488200-1450833302_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another area as well. I am working on some of the deck gear/fittings and this is one of the puzzles that has come up.post-115-0-65555600-1451593762_thumb.jpg

photo shows the forward side of one side of the H bit with what looks like a pawl mounted on the right. Than just below and to the right is a warping head ( looks like it has whelps ) The other stuff is part of the steam gear that was also on the fordeck. That's another project in itself. This is what I think I might be looking at.post-115-0-08858100-1451594174_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts , ideas ,

Steve,

I gave a shot at the answer in other thread.  I hope you and yours have a very happy new year.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, thank you Mark, and a great New Year to you and yours.

You should probably add one more mast light as three white lights is the correct signal for a tug and tow.  I was just browsing through tugs on Navsource and saw masts with three.

jbshan: Yes now days three lights are required. The time frame of 1900-1930 there were only two mast lights ( see photo at the begining of my log ). The laws did not change until later, the Cudahy(now the Henry Foss ) likely had three when she was lost in 1952

Two lights- check.

I see a third something just below the color change on the mast.  Is that a bell?

From the photo, the wooden bitts are clearly back from the prow.

• 1 month later...

Just to show you all that I have been working on my project. Not alot done but I have made and installed the main cabin roof, cut out for the stack and the engine room skylight. Turned a steam whistle and working on the stack.  Did some dry transfer lettering and made a ships bell.

post-115-0-83276200-1455312172_thumb.jpg

very nice vintage tug Steve

the wheelhouse also looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks, Patrick & Nils, I had to show that I am still working on her. Slowly ....

Well I have gotten a little more done. post-115-0-32884300-1455734307_thumb.jpg Getting all the brass bars in their holes on both ends was fun :D post-115-0-57572700-1455734234_thumb.jpg

Hi Steamschooner

You may say that you've only done a "little bit", but it's often the smallest details that give the biggest impact. In this case, your skylight looks great and, yes, I agree that those brass rods would've been a pain to fit, but well worth the effort.

Nice job!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick  Those skido's of yours would have been more than I could handle. They look great!

John thanks for looking in and glad things are looking better for you and the misses

Seems I have been spending more time rebuilding the shipyard than working on my project. I will soon have things more to my liking and can get back to my project.

Thanks, Patrick  Those skido's of yours would have been more than I could handle. They look great!

John thanks for looking in and glad things are looking better for you and the misses

Seems I have been spending more time rebuilding the shipyard than working on my project. I will soon have things more to my liking and can get back to my project.

Thanks for the compliments about the jet skis. They're really teeny tiny, but simultaneously they were heaps of fun to build.

I'm looking forward to more progress from your shipyard, but all in due course (of course).

Cheers

Patrick

Well it's a good thing I recently had my hair cut short or I would have pulled it all out. Just finished making railings and ladders. Have a little clean up and some paint and I am calling it good.post-115-0-99526200-1456514800_thumb.jpgpost-115-0-97259500-1456514880_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-47377800-1456551281.jpgPatrick, I would not look good as a bald caveman

John, Thanks for stopping by

The rest of you thanks for the likes

Very well done.  I love the doors on the wheelhouse.  That paneling is great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray