Cape Cod Catboat by Marcus Botanicus – FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters – Scale ¾”=1’

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for or not, Marc ...

How To Make Decals

Scroll down to Method 2 (the first one seems to be more applicable to wall designs).

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

So decal-it is a pc program?

Where do you buy the decal paper and the decal bonder?

or just give me link and I'll look it up.

Thanks a bunch

Marc

Marc, you can get the PC program and related supplies that Denis is talking about here at DecalGear

You can also get the decal paper at Hobby Lobby as well as the Decal Bonder.  I used this on my Marie Jeanne to create the ship's name and ID plus the Coat of Arms decal for the sail.

Edited by Jack12477

I bought the basic kit at Hobby Lobby........it comes with a can of bonder.     I sent away for the standard edition.  you can also look in on the Testor's site to find it as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

CaptainSteve, Jack12477 and Popeye Thank you very much for the information.

Jack and Popeye: I checked decalgear.com and for under $20.00 I can have the SureThing Decal Maker: Standard Edition CD, Testors Decal Bonder and some Decal paper............... Did I read that correctly? Looks pretty cool.

Thanks,

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hello Marc

I've been reading your log and your catboat is really looking good. I like your tool and material procurement - a Samsung TV, HP printer and a parrot toy. Now that is resourceful and good thinking. Very nice model. I'm sure your sister is going to enjoy it.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I went to the decal site and purchased the CD, paper and bonder.  Will get it this week.

The rigging is loosely added to the mast, boom and gaff. Nothing is permanent.

post-2705-0-38375800-1485199906_thumb.jpg

The little blocks is to make sure that the mast is at a 90 degree angle to the deck

post-2705-0-15399000-1485199914_thumb.jpg

Sewing the reef lines into the sail.

post-2705-0-81584400-1485199939_thumb.jpg

After all the lines are installed, they are moistened with diluted white Elmer's glue and straightened out with clamps. The sail is pinned to the foam and the clamps which are attached to the lines keep the lines straight until the glue dries.

post-2705-0-01709300-1485199948_thumb.jpg

Some reef lines refuse to straighten out so by laying the sail flat on the foam, a ruler for each reef line row is weighted down by computer heat sinks (Hey Gary, another material procurement)

post-2705-0-53393000-1485199957_thumb.jpg

Attached all corners of the sail with string to there designated area so it will be easier for me to attach the sail to the mast hoops, boom and gaff.3

post-2705-0-64964600-1485199965_thumb.jpg

Almost done.

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marcus,

Interesting to use aluminum as weight ... Sail looks very good ... what's left ... just the decals ...your sister will be thrilled when it's finished

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Marcus,

Interesting to use aluminum as weight ... Sail looks very good ... what's left ... just the decals ...your sister will be thrilled when it's finished

Cheers

I have salvaged a lot of computer parts over the years and the heat sinks are another form of paper weights. What is left is one decal "Perseverance" on the name board and I need to make a burgee.

Once completed I will send email and pictures to my sister & brother-in-law mentioning about a display case from Bluejacket. Once the case without the Plexiglas gets send to me I will get the Plexiglas, install in the case, put it all together and pack it for shipping.

The will tell me where I need to send it to.

Then on to working on the Utrecht. But I was reading a thesis from a person at Leiden University about the history of Dutch pleasure yachts. In here she mentioned a Pleasure yacht (Plezier jacht) from the 17th century. The NVM which is the Dutch Society of Model builders has plans of such a boat. ................Delima.........

Then last but not least, when my dad retired from the Dutch Foreign Service he volunteered as an administrator/touristhelper for the Dutch Windmill Society. Just before he left he gave me plans from a windmill (Polder Molen 1600). It stands about 4 ft high and it is a do-able project. Depending how much detail you want to add to the mill, you can make it work and if you get a round grinding stone you can even mill grains.

Oh yes, my wife gave me the Micro-Mark table saw for Christmas and with it a list of items she wants me to build. Our birdfeeder is falling apart so she wants me to take the measurements and re-make it.

Lots of options.

Marcus

look'in  really nice Marc.........yea,  reef lines can be a bugger sometimes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hardly a dilema ... just go get it and build it ...

Interesting project, the windmill, got an address for the society. Woiuld like to have a look at those plans ...

They always do that ... give you a tool for your hobby ... I hate that ... and on top of that you must first make them all different kind of things ... even if you cannot use the tool for it they gave you  ... ;)

Enjoy your new toy

Cheers

Carl

Carl;

Below is a scan (A3 format) from the windmill with information.  There are 23 pgs. of plans and 1page of materials and 17 pages of how to build it. The plans are to scale so trace, glue on wood and cut out.

post-2705-0-51936200-1485291066_thumb.jpg

The scan is in Dutch and describes the measurements of the mill and scale, as well as the address where it was printed, the architect and what it all includes.

I know this is a bit off-topic but wind mills have sails as well.

Marcus

Thank you Marcus,

Interesting. I'll browse the internet for them, if I can't find what I want, I can drop them a note

Just send them a request for information on windmill drawings on scale ... we'll see

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Good Morning.

I have several questions:

1. - My brother-in-law mentions in an email that the name board with the word 'perseverance' goes on the 'aft combing'.

I am assuming in the picture below where I have the word Perseverance, is the aft combing.

Is this correct?

post-2705-0-04108100-1485957256_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-51216100-1485957268_thumb.jpg

Question for Jack and Popeye.

2. - I got the Decal-Gear (CD, decal paper & Bounder) in my possession and I have the following question.

Will the decal adhere to painted wood?

Will the decal adhere to a thin sheet of wood veneer?

My plan is to create a name board from 1/64 Baltic Birch ply-wood and put the decal on that with the bonding material.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Marcus

Marc, the answer is YES with a caveat.  Decals adhere best when applied to a glossy surface, but they can be applied directly to painted wood or any painted surface.  There is a set of products produced by Microscale Industries which are recommended for all decal work. The products are

• Micro Gloss - clear glossy finish for models
  • Micro Flat -  clear flat finish for models
  • Micro Set  - Setting solution for decals, softens the decal so it adheres to uneven surfaces better, Also used to remove decals
  • Micro Sol - Setting solution for decals - similar to Micro Set but not used to remove them.

The way I use them is to prepare the surface with Micro Gloss and let dry; apply the decal, using Micro Sol to get it to "snuggle down". Then let decal dry. After that apply either Micro Gloss over the decal to seal it and give it a shiny finish or apply Micro Flat to seal and give it a dull/flat finish. You can also spray the decal with Testors Dulcote spray but keep the spray at a distance from the decal.

I've even applied decals to cloth sails, Marc, see my Marie Jeanne for an example.

Most Hobby stores carry it. MicroMark may also carry it altho I have not checked their catalog lately to see, since I have a local source.

Edited by Jack12477

Jack,

Thank you very much for the information.

So, it looks like I need more items to do the one decal?

The stuff I got from DecalGear is not enough?

Adding decals is presently an art with add-ons. In the old days it was luke warm water, place decal and I used hairspray as bonder and cover. (I know I sound like an old man).

I found the website from Microscale and will probably order the 4 items Jack mentions. Then I should be set, I hope.

Marc

Edited by Marcus Botanicus

You can still use the old fashion method, I discovered the new method while doing plastic armor models. Now I use it all the time.

there are a few thing you can get away with though.   Jack's right about the paint,  but I've found on most flat enamel surfaces,  the decal can be a bit finicky and not adhere properly.   I've heard folks using floor finishing products with good results.   flat lacquers works well too.  I hardly use the decal setting solutions with these decals.  the bonder  makes the existing film more elastic,  so they lay down fairly well.  have you experimented with the importing part of the program.   go online and look at images......I did shamrocks.   I saved them to my computer and imported them into the decal maker...very nice  ;)

I've even embossed images on sailcloth.....depending on the type of cloth,  it works quite well.  guiding the cloth through the printer can be tricky.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mighty fine looking model Marcus.  Yeah, a Dutch windmill is on the bucket list somewhere else.  I want to draw up my own plans though, part of the fun.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Its all looking very good Marcus, Might I suggest that the lettering be done in a bit softer font. The style of the cat boat seems to want a more rounded type of script for the name. Just my nickles worth, you know what you are doing and it is your boat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I found that making and apply decals was not too bad. For me there was a alight learning curve. I had two tries before I got what I wanted on my recent schooner model. I over sprayed it with dullcoat once it was on the model and it looked fine.

Your model looks really good. Wonderful work.

Russ

Piet,

It is not so difficult to draw up plans for a windmill. Just make it tall enough so the wieken (I don't know the English word for this) do not touch the ground. Numerous examples on the NET as well.

Thanks, Russ.  I am going to finish up the boat by this week so I will do a Burgee and a decal.  Jack and Popeye have been very helpful in the suggestions for decals

Marcus

Its all looking very good Marcus, Might I suggest that the lettering be done in a bit softer font. The style of the cat boat seems to want a more rounded type of script for the name. Just my nickles worth, you know what you are doing and it is your boat.

Michael

So what font type do you suggest? Have not started the decal yet, so I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Marc

Hi Marcus

I do not have many fonts but if it were my choice I would look for something more like this

post-202-0-84954100-1487055783_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael and Carl, thank you for the suggestions. I need to hunt down the email I once got with the original font for the name and will compare it to the above.

I haven't even finished the Catboat and I am already cutting out frames for the Utrecht and I did it outside. 60 degrees F????? on February 14th?????? What is going on????? Global warming?????

I know the East coast is getting nuked but here it is nice and balmy.

Marcus

I know the East coast is getting nuked but here it is nice and balmy.

Marcus

Nuked ? Take a gander at this article on a village on NY's Tug Hill plateau.

Seriously tho. When I did the lettering for the stern on the Marie Jeanne I put the Home Port name in both English and Irish Gaelic. For the Gaelic font, I just copied and pasted the name from a Gaelic source directly into the Decal Maker program as text, then adjusted the size to fit the stern. If you find the name in a font you like, just copy/paste it into the Decal Maker program and fiddle with it a bit for size and height.

I do it that way as well,  although I believe you can change the font in the decal maker.    I just thumb through them till I saw one I likes.   the cool thing is that the font can be bent to a half round or slant,  and can be manipulated any way you want.   make sure the DPI is adjusted all the way up before you proceed.

another way to create it,  is to produce the decal  using photo shop,  and then import it into the decal maker....I've gotten better results getting over the transparency issue.   where your placing your decal over a darker background,  you may want to use white decal paper and give it a border.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: