Marie Jeanne by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50 scale

Ken, I found out what that brass piece was. It's the flagpole cap - goes on the top of the main mast. :D

Now who would have thunk that?   :rolleyes:  Your first picture was fuzzy enough to not see the actual shape. The second batch was much clearer, but the cap of the main mast? Really? :o

Those picture book instructions do lack a little. I concur with needing extra views since the pictures are tiny, even with good magnification.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jack,

I'm just catching up.  Nice work on the windlass and an excellent job of sorting out the "mystery part".   Flagstaff cap, huh?   My impression was that it was a roller for a chain or something.   Good going on the build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My impression was that it was a roller for a chain or something.   Good going on the build.

in french it's called la poupée

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Moving right along I started working on the masts, gaffs, booms, and spars.  Working with the picture book (steps 24 - main mast - and 25 -mizzen mast) and the plan diagram shown in post #113 (bottom left photo) as a reference I shaped the main mast using my Veritas miniature plane

Picture book steps 24 - 27 - sorry they are not rotated - blame the scanner software

Steps 24-27.pdf

post-13502-0-89151100-1454251536_thumb.jpg  size comparison between full size and miniature plane

post-13502-0-54104100-1454251538_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-98807200-1454251534_thumb.jpg  finished main mast before adding blocks etc

The pile of shavings left behind by the main mast

post-13502-0-51894000-1454251540_thumb.jpg

Main Mast

-  the mystery barrel - flag pole "lanyard"

post-13502-0-02869900-1454251894_thumb.jpg post-13502-0-40717600-1454251899_thumb.jpg

Main and Mizzen shrouds

post-13502-0-33922000-1454251895_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-14283300-1454251898_thumb.jpg

Mizzen mast

post-13502-0-79019700-1454251892_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-87857700-1454251896_thumb.jpg

After looking at the photos of Brittany boats supplied by Ofencer29350 in a previous post I decided to add a boarding ladder. I had to guess at the dimensions based on the photos but I think it is pretty much in scale

post-13502-0-92939400-1454252326_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-64629200-1454252325_thumb.jpg

Deadeyes - port and starboard and stern

post-13502-0-16734600-1454252328_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-48675800-1454252329_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-82692800-1454252330_thumb.jpg

Overall shot of model to date - some deck structures have been left off to avoid damaging them

post-13502-0-30228200-1454252324_thumb.jpg

Now on to the remaining spars, gaffs, booms, etc.

Edited by Jack12477

You're making some good progress on her Jack. She's looking good.  Didn't realize how small those mini-planes are. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking Good Jack, nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Very nice work, Jack.  Coming right along, she is.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sweet work Jack...especially love the final shot looking down the length of the deck!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Looks like you have the metalwork sorted Jack, the spars will be up soon enough.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks George, Mark, Pete, Nigel, Sal, and Michael for the comments and all those who clicked the LIKE button.

George, yes,  they are very tiny compared to their big brother but they work amazingly well. The masts etc are all walnut dowels and the plane cuts very thin ribbons with ease. Actually I have less trouble using the micro plane that I do with the full size one - never can get the blade exposure set right on the big one. Took me less than 2 minutes to get the micro plane working right.  And I used it straight out of the box, no honing or anything. I'm very impressed with them, it was a good investment for me.

Michael, yes, I'm slowly mastering the metal work. I've been substituting craft beading wire for the kit wire in some instances as it is easier to shape.  Next to do is teach myself how to solder and blacken the brass, but for now I'll leave it shiny.

Sal, I borrowed that design from someone here on MSW way back when I first joined so I can't claim credit for it - I picked up a couple of miniature wooden crates (decorative craft item I guess) in our local Michaels craft store, epoxied them together, ditto the clothespins which I took apart and reversed.  I have another one with the "crates" epoxied end to end to make it taller.  I can either clamp the crates down or weight them.

Nice build Jack.... you did a good job on the hull planking.... I like these  type boats, if I do another build I think I'll try something like what you are doing... Have fun!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank for the compliment and all who clicked the LIKE button.

Continuing on:

Finally completed all the masts, spars, booms, fishing poles, and the like. For the first time ever, AL shorted me material (I think). Since there is no itemized parts list (like some kits have) only the balloons with numbers which reference a parts list by number which in turn only gives the finished dimensions, I couldn't detect it till I got near the end.  The fishing poles are two parts and there are two of them. The parts lists calls out the longest piece as 335 mm in length, the actual plans measure 328 mm in length; however all I had left were 3 - pieces measuring 300 mm in length.  In an offline (PM) discussion with George (GLAKIE) we decided to substitute 1/8 inch dowels and use English Chestnut to try to match the walnut kit supplied dowels.  Found 4 ft lengths of 1/8 inch Poplar dowels in Lowes for 55 cents each - good !  Cut the 2 parts of each fishing pole to their respective lengths from the Poplar dowels and stained them as George suggested and it's a near perfect match. Thank you again, George for the suggestion.

The fishing poles are equipped with 2 mm rings lashed with rope to the poles at intervals along the length. The plans called for 0.015 mm thread for the lashings.  I decided the easiest way to lash them was to form a clove hitch thru the center of the rings such that the overlapping of the clove hitch occurred inside the ring; I followed this up by doing a half-hitch with one tail of the lashing above the ring and another half-hitch with the other tail belong the ring.  Worked pretty good and locked the ring in place. Sealed the ends with a drop of G-S Hypo Cement.

Completed spars, poles, etc

post-13502-0-44050300-1454950367_thumb.jpg

Fishing Poles

post-13502-0-52924700-1454950368_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-35023100-1454950369_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-30945400-1454950370_thumb.jpg

Remaining Spars and booms

post-13502-0-05499200-1454950372_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-12102200-1454950371_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-34856200-1454950366_thumb.jpg

Next up is attaching them and the sails to the model.

they are not mast  in french it's called tangon And they serve as fishing rod for catching the tunas

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

What will be good it is to dye sails red and blue...

Jack, sails look good. And how'd you like the Hypo cement? I know it's pretty useful with clear plastic, but I guess it does a good job to use it on the pole lashings.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Ken, it works well on the ropes, blocks, lashings, etc. It's slow drying, stays flexible and the needle point applicator is really good.  I only use it for the "ropes" to secure the knots, etc. nothing else. For metal to wood or metal to metal I use Medium CA, otherwise it is all PVA - Elmer's yellow carpenter glue.

because in britain it' a tradition to use sail with color,just the big one  and the last (i don't know how to translate)

what is the significance of the colors red and blue ? Is one sail dyed one color and the other sail the second color ? (Last sail is called Mizzen Spanker)

in fact i don't know why exactly but there is one red and then mizzen spanker is blue!

Are all the boats of that class configured that way or just the boats from one particular port or region, say all Normandy boats? Or just that boat? :rolleyes:

Ken

it's typically  from  britain (bretagne in french)

there are:

thonier

misainier

langoustier...

Morning Jack,

Let me add a little to the discussion regarding the colour of the sails.

In general each region of the country had a slightly different colour scheme, if you take my neck of the woods ( East Anglia ) East Coast of the UK, the sails on working boats were generally coloured Red with slight variations within,  by working boats I refer to Thames Barges, Fishing Smacks, Bawley's, Norfolk Wherries  etc.

On larger sailing craft the sails were kept white or thereabouts.

The sails were maintained by an annual service and treated with ground fish and a turpentine like solution, the colour also helped to identify what region a boat came from along with slight variations with rigging techniques should the boat be sunk.

In your case the colour is down to you, your the builder and owner and as such you must go with what you like.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-