Endeavour 1934 by Julie Mo - Amati - Scale 1:35 - America's Cup UK J-Class Challenger

Well I'm still an apprentice in Denis' view, so I'll keep out of the retirees discussion. You have finished the planking up to the rudder. No zoom picture so we can enjoy the craftwomanship you put in that part of your fenomenal work. It does look good as shown though ... Now comes the hard part ;) stem and stern ... a breeze for you I suspect!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Well, Carl, it seems you've forced my hand so I have to show the zoom picture.  But before I do, I recently said in a post somewhere here that learning patience helped me tolerate being a perfectionist.  Truth is, impatience still gets the better of me.  Before I know it, I have a tool in my hand so I can see how something is going to turn out, when I should be finishing that area first.  That's what happened with the mahogany/sapele keel.  I shaped it... too much.  The picture will show you what I mean.

Endv_043.jpg

I had meant for the planks to but up against and under the keel.  But I went too far with the shaping.  Now I will have to do some modifications to build it back up.  As for the black streaks, they are burn marks from ripping the veneer.  At first I was going to plane them off but I liked the look so I left it alone.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Julie,

Love it when you                     tell the truth! Patience is a virtue. So it seems, to me it is a pain in the proverbial butt. Unfortunately, if we do not pratice it, it bites us in it. Overshaping ... now how much wood did you spill on those guitars of yours !? More patience ... then ...

A mighty fine finish at the rudder side of that keel. Look forward to the remainder of your planking, and building up that mahogany ...

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

I've fired up the glue pot and we'll see how far I get tonight.  Why is it I seem so busy yet I am supposed to be retired?

Aw man! You're spoiling it for me. I'm counting down the years, months, days, minutes

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Me too!

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen an update for a while.  Hope all is well.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

My computer died, at least the important parts like the CPU and motherboard.  All my passwords and such are on that hard drive so it took me a while to remember the password here.  I had cleaned all the dust out and also investigated a rattling sound I suspected was a fan gone bad.  I removed the CPU fan, cleaned it up, cleaned off the conductive gel, reapplied new gel and put it all back together again.  Next day all I got was a black screen.  When I opened it back up again I found I put too much goop on the CPU and that may have bled out to the circuitry.  New parts are on the way.  

On the plus side, I have managed to get some things done around the house but I haven't touched the model since my last post.  We are entering the beautiful weather months now (Mother Nature turned off the microwave) and I've been enjoying the weather.

On the minus side, I am now on a very old computer that has a monitor close to death.  So I may disappear again.  Just call me Lazarus. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Parts came today.  I was pretty rusty so I took my sweet time cleaning everything up and making sure it all went back together properly.  I had one glitch, forgot to connect the CPU power to the MB.  I'm loading in the new software and hopefully by tomorrow I will be back up and running.  I'm working on a 12" monitor right now.  Everything is miniature, just like model building. :rolleyes:

Julie

Julie, are you going with integrated video or a separate video card?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Separate video card.  It's a EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SSC.  I think everything is fine with that.  Though I'm still on the other computer.  I ended up doing a clean install of Win7 Pro so I have to load everything in.  The old hard drive was too bogged down with garbage.  

I'm a bit worried though.  I keep getting the dreaded BSOD when trying to update software.  For a while I couldn't update Win7.  I had to go through the command prompt and type in DOS commands to turn Windows Update off and start it up again.  Now It's loading in the new updates.  Maybe that will solve the BSOD problems. 

Julie

Julie,

There's a known issue as MS "upgraded" the Update from their end and issued a patch for the computers.   You might Google "Windows 7 Windows Update" and then get the update early in the process.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I get the distinct impression Microsoft is trying to force people to use Windows 10. The last 7 months I find it extremely difficult to update my Windows 7 (professional & Ultimate) on all of my systems: laptops (4) and PC's(3). Sometimes I need to try it for 3 or 4 consecutive days before I can get the download to start. The BSOD doesn't surprise me ...

I ran one laptop on win 10, but that has been deteriorating since the beginning (a brand new ASUS). The(windows) start button doesn't work any more, I need to shutdown on a command prompt, Windows update won't work either... I'll be installing Linux on that one, every windows operating system which fails from now on will be replaced by a Linux O/S

Edited by cog

Carl

Ah.... found it:   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647  This should get update on the PC working again.  But... it is Microsoft so your milage may vary.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The problem was one of the memory cards wasn't fully seated.  Now I have to load everything on to the new HD.  And I have to try to get MS to activate Win7 again.  Spent three hours with them yesterday only to be told I did a clean install with an upgrade and I have to load in the previous windows program.  But it won't let me do that because "the version you have is newer."  I think it depends on who you get.  When I activated the clean install on my CAD machine, MS did it no problem. 

I did manage to get a few more rows done on the model.  So much less stressful!  

Julie

Ah, check, and check again

One reason I try to use the old system disk, or make a disk copy, including mbr (master boot record), to a new disk. No problems with activation

I can imagine ... even when things do not go as smoothly as you like in the workshop, it is still less stressful compared to computers and related stress

Hope you get your activation solved quickly

Carl

Julie,

Instead of working on my own build this morning I sat down and finished reading your log. Wow, well done! And your improvised clamps with rubber bands and zip ties, brilliant!

Regarding your bending on the life boat, your massaging technique seems to have worked out, as I was reading and you mentioned spring steel for a backer I thought of shim stock. This has been in the back of my mind for a while now and I just havent had a chance to try in out, I may never now that I have seen your massaging technique. If I were to try it though I think McMaster Carr would have what is needed in the way of thin spring steel.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

My nephew in Council Bluffs is an IT guy and uses either Linux or a mac.  He will not use MS unless he has to.  He told me that he was rebuilding a clients PC and the clients wanted something called a dual boot.  XP and Linux.  My nephew told him that XP will not be supported anymore and is a dead OS.  His client said that for the work they are using it for it is perfect. And they will not be going on line with it.  He told me that MS has been playing fast and lose with their updates and want everyone to adopt w10.  But I have been happy with what I have so I will not waste the money.  Kudos Julie for being able to do something I fear to try.  

David B

I've been working on a community project to which I volunteered and it's like I came out of retirement.  Just this week I put in over 50 hours on that project so far.  My poor Endeavour sits in the workshop being almost completely ignored. :(  And to add insult to injury, our neighborhood "mayor" just sent out flyers about getting everyone together to set up the cul-de-sac for Christmas.  

But it gets worse....  With my computer switch, I lost all the login information for my very old Dreamweaver 2004 program that I have used for a decade or so to update my website.  I have a few new pics to add but I can't access my website to upload them.  I called GoDaddy today but I needed something to let them know I am the owner. 

So dial back a few years...

Everything I did, way back when, I used an email address that ended up becoming a dumping ground.  So I created a new Super Secret email only for important matters.  Before we moved, I had all the login info in an Oscar Madison type file that sat on my desk, securely placed under my keyboard.  HAHA!  Take that NSA!  But it seems I may have "misplaced" that sacred file.  Where's Lisbeth Salander when I need her?

So the Super Secret email address login info lies somewhere in the datagigascoobeedoobytes inside my old hard drive.

GoDaddy emailed me the reset stuff but Comcast won't let me in through the other logins I have, probably because I made that Super Secret email the admin.  

See.  I told you I was really smart!

Julie

OH no!!!! That is unfortunate. I feel for you, not only the hours but the computer issues.

I did something similar when we set up a new router several years ago. Better Half set a super simple password that was our dog and cats name combined. In the words of Pink Floyd, "This Will Not Do, Call the School Master!" I took a phrase and created a password with numbers, letters, caps and symbols. It all made perfect sense when I created it. Until we wanted to give a guest with a lap top access.....There is a reason I call her the Better Half.

This to shall pass.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Yep,

Lisbeth would have cracked it in minutes.......

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have a problem with passwords so I have a list on my laptop and in my phone.  Since my phone is my lifeline with the Drs and my sister I never go anywhere without it.  It gets embarrasing when you try to log into your hospital account or bank account and cannot remember your password.  Some of them are so old i doubt if I can remember my secret questions and answers  

David B

I have a quadruple backup for an encrypted file with passwords, it resides on all my systems and the odd external backup diskS. Depending on it's use, and if it is an internal or external password, I reuse an existing one or create a new one. The main problem is with the internet, that everywhere sites request (order) you to make an account, and you need another password. I've got nearly 300 registrations with a password ... It really does drive you nuts ...

Carl

I'm having a hard time getting back to the model.  So many other things are jumping in line in front of it.  But I did work on it a little tonight.  No pics though.  I still can't access my website.  Just another thing that has to be taken care of before my life gets back to normal.

Julie

I have had some progress on the model.  But now I am at one of those points where I am not sure which direction to take.  It seems most who have built this kit, once they get to the transom, run the planking parallel to the waterline.  But none of those builds ran the hull planking diagonally.  I plan on putting a decal on the transom with the hailing port on it.  This transom however isn't very well defined.  The lines of the hull almost erase any distinction between the hull and transom.  But if I continued to lay the planking parallel to the existing planking all the way through to the transom, that definition will pretty much completely disappear. 

If I ran the planking in a different direction from the rest of the planking, what orientation would look best?  I don't think the planking should run parallel to the waterline on this build.  Other orientations I have imagined seem equally wrong.  The lack of a well-defined transom calls into question even placing the hailing port on it, let alone the name.  But on the real-life yacht, the name is there and it looks fine.

endea-flag-109-3.jpg

However the transom here is much better defined.  Maybe I need to make some alterations to do the same on the model. 

Any thoughts? 

Julie