Endeavour 1934 by Julie Mo - Amati - Scale 1:35 - America's Cup UK J-Class Challenger

Frank, I'm new to this so I always appreciate input from experienced builders like you.  Tell me if this plan is flawed but what I was thinking is I'd make the framing for the raised cabin and then lay the planking on the main deck.  Next would be to plank the top of the raised cabin and then plank the sides.  Would that be a proper order? 

But first I have to figure out how to build the framing for the raised cabin.  This is what I've been working on

DeckWdwrk_019.jpg

The drawing is a view of the S130 interior, as if you were standing in the lower saloon and looking at the companionway.  The intent was to create a two-piece laminate for the cabin frame.  After the glue dried and the first section was placed where it might actually go, it became apparent it would probably be better to stick build it on the model.  Kit framing will need to be cut out and I really don't know how that will affect the structural integrity over the long haul.  The 7# of shot ballast may work against that effort.

The build will be put on hold for a few weeks.  A dear friend in CT has invited us up there to escape the Florida heat.  We're leaving Monday. B)

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

13 hours ago, Julie Mo said:

Frank, I'm new to this so I always appreciate input from experienced builders like you.  Tell me if this plan is flawed but what I was thinking is I'd make the framing for the raised cabin and then lay the planking on the main deck.  Next would be to plank the top of the raised cabin and then plank the sides.  Would that be a proper order? 

But first I have to figure out how to build the framing for the raised cabin.  This is what I've been working on

The drawing is a view of the S130 interior, as if you were standing in the lower saloon and looking at the companionway.  The intent was to create a two-piece laminate for the cabin frame.  After the glue dried and the first section was placed where it might actually go, it became apparent it would probably be better to stick build it on the model.  Kit framing will need to be cut out and I really don't know how that will affect the structural integrity over the long haul.  The 7# of shot ballast may work against that effort.

Hi Judi

This is getting interesting!    You probably know that your plank-on-frame approach to the cabin isn't exactly my style of building so, if your heart is set on the framework route. I'd invite Keith or any of the better scratch builders to chime in with ideas.

While it would be elegant and definitely more in keeping with proper yacht construction I'm thinking it might end up very fragmented if you know what I mean? 

Considering the smallness of the final shape I'm more inclined to take the "Bernini solution" and reduce a solid block of mahogany (or whatever you intend to use) to the  shape you want.    This piece can still be hollowed out inside if you wish to show some access to below deck and window openings are easily scooped out with Dremel bits.

What you are aiming for,  as I see it, is just a slightly larger version of the cabin roof I shaped for my Dragon. 
Untitled-1.thumb.JPG.893ae5dd4fc79ec70ae0e41f43a2c04d.JPG
I know this isn't what you asked for but I know I couldn't assemble a (relatively) small cabin structure from frames and planks and have it look elegant at the end.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Frank

Finished Builds: Half Hulls of Alberg 37, Thunderbird 26, Contessa 26, Beneteau 51 Idylle

:  Billings Dragon kit Revisited

:  Trojan 36 Sport Fishing boat

Frank, thank you for your help but while your models are amazingly gorgeous, I just don't think I could achieve the same level of scale accuracy you do without all the preliminary work that seems so necessary for me, such as the CAD drawings.  That's how my brain works.

Part of why I want to tackle the stick build is because I want to see if I can recreate what's in my mind's eye.  I could be way over my head but I thought that too when I decided to make my first scratch-build guitar.  After it was completed, it was so satisfying I made three more.  While we're gone I'll be given a lot of time to think about this...  Thanks again for the help! :) 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Julie

My preferred order would be to plank the flat deck and then sand it and finish it before attaching anything that stands up above it. Trying to sand the deck planking around an upstanding deck house etc., just complicates the sanding.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

22 hours ago, cog said:

Have a great holiday, and cool down a bit. It might actually help the thinking ...

Carl, you don't know how right you are.  I've never lived in a tropical/sub-tropical climate before we moved here 1-1/2 years ago but I am not convinced the heat penetrates everything, including the human skull, and the brain gets fried. 

4 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Julie

My preferred order would be to plank the flat deck and then sand it and finish it before attaching anything that stands up above it. Trying to sand the deck planking around an upstanding deck house etc., just complicates the sanding.

Keith, that makes perfect sense.  Thank you!  There's still a lot of engineering and design that has to be done but when I get to that stage, that's exactly what I'll do. 

BTW, do you think the gods of J-Class will punish me for straying in the design direction I have?  I ask you because they have obviously blessed you with great talent so you must be in tight with them and I was hoping they might tell you if they were about to smite me. :rolleyes: 

Julie

Dear Julie

The J Class gods are quite traditional and I think they may reserve judgement until they see how it turns out - particularly in respect of how you sort out the all important deck gear. I think the way you are thinking that the 2011 refit arrangement of winches, tracks etc may be the way to go.

http://www.adamlaystudio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Endeavour-Boat-International-July-2012.pdf

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Dear Julie

The J Class gods are quite traditional and I think they may reserve judgement until they see how it turns out - particularly in respect of how you sort out the all important deck gear. I think the way you are thinking that the 2011 refit arrangement of winches, tracks etc may be the way to go.

Whew!  Thanks Keith.  Ever since I strayed I've been looking toward the sky for wayward bolts of lightning.  B)

I like that deck layout.  All my experience sailing has been on "little" sailboats of 54' or less.  Loads increase exponentially when LOA soars so I'd have to wing it on things like mainsheet travelers, genoa tracks and lead car system and things like that.  But I have yet to see a lead car system on a maxi.  How they move the lead car under load, I don't know.  So there's a lot of investigation I need to do.  But it's time to start packing and leave the heat behind. :)

Julie

• 2 months later...

Only been back a few days and have only looked at the model.  When we arrived late Monday I walked into the shop and saw her right where I left her.  Then I remembered the images Irma's storm surge put in my head as it approached our home.  I figured I'd never see the model to completion.  Extremely lucky and grateful is not enough to describe the emotions.

It may be a few weeks or so until I have the time to get back to working on her.  The to-do list comes first.

Julie

On 9/28/2017 at 5:24 PM, cog said:

Wow, you actually are back ... a live and kicking!!! We have waited 2 months, we can wait a little longer, Julie. You do what you have to do!!!

Welcome home

Thanks, Carl.  It seemed like we signed on to a work camp.  Our friend in need was really in need!  Imagine hoarders combined with the cat lady in a house that hadn't seen any kind of upkeep in 26 years.  In two months we only had one day for ourselves - we went out out and hit a bucket of balls, never actually getting to the golf course.  That's how much work there was to be done.  And the day before we were leaving, our packing day, she hands us a list of more she wanted done before we left.  I thought it was a joke.

Last time we take that kind of vacation again! :o

Julie

On 7/16/2017 at 11:02 AM, Julie Mo said:

Have you ever sought out a solution but drew a blank all the while knowing the answer is right in front of you?  That's been my last 48 hours.  I knew I had a way to cut into the frames of the hull to allow for the modifications but drew a complete blank.  I get up at 7 this morning, walk into the workshop, look around and then the light bulb turns on.

DeckWdwrk_007.jpg 

If it's good enough for guitar inlays, it should be good enough for modeling.  The bit is 1/8" diameter.  I have bits that go to 1/32", if needed.

DeckWdwrk_008.jpg

Julie

What is the brand name of the plunge router base you are using with your Dremel? Is it Stewart Mac?  Thanks

Julie,

Just found your log - Beautiful work indeed. Apologies for burying your email with likes (:-).

Your planking skills are superlative. The deck looks to be just as splendid. Pulled up a chair and I will follow along--

Oh and great subject matter!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 10/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Jack12477 said:

Julie

What is the brand name of the plunge router base you are using with your Dremel? Is it Stewart Mac?  Thanks

It's a Micro Fence plunge base.  I own the Stew Mac base but it pales in comparison to the Micro Fence base.  Lee Valley now makes a plunge base for Dremel and Foredom but I haven't seen any reviews on it or how it compares to Micro Fence.  But at around a fourth of the price of the Micro Fence, I would have given the Lee Valley base a try had they offered it when I bought the Micro Fence.

Edited by Julie Mo
add more info

Julie

Thanks Michael.  When I started this I thought I'd be done in a few months.  At the time I was looking for something to keep me busy while house hunting.  Once we bought the house, the model progress suffered greatly.  I think it's now been two years.  When I do get back to the build, I sometimes forget what I was doing the last time I worked on it.  That's what I discovered last night when I was in the shop cleaning up the work bench - all these parts I forget I made or where they went. :rolleyes:

Julie

• 1 year later...

I'm back...  Or at least the work on the model is.  The huge obstacle was that curved raised cabin.  I didn't have the time or desire to learn through the school of hard knocks.  The other day I cleaned up the workshop of the live edge coffee table mess and pulled the model off the shelf.  I realized it was never going to be finished if I refused to accept the fact I had bitten off more than I cared to chew. 

I'm going to keep the helm section and guest seating as modified and drop the raised cabin modification and just go with what came with the model. 

For some reason I can't insert an image from my website and the upload feature failed, twice.   I'll try later.

Julie

Ah, life has returned. That house a yours really kept you away longer than I imagined ... no redos on the cabinet doors, the counter top, media centre ...?

did you drop the file, or used the link "choose files"

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Oh, the house is still making her demands, Carl, but I'm turning a deaf ear for now.

As for being unable to insert a photo, I've tried the "Insert other media" button below and chose "Insert image from a URL".  When I paste the URL location and click "Insert into post" the space where the URL was pasted turns a pale red but nothing else happens.  I can click on the insert button all I want and that pop-up window just remains.  When I choose the "Drag files here to attach, of choose files..." option I get " There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200".  The Uploaded Images box says the upload failed.  

EDIT: It just worked!

Endv_068.jpg

Edited by Julie Mo

Julie

So I'm ready to start on the deck and the first thing I need is 1x3mm strips.  They are nowhere to be found.  I looked everywhere.  I even checked to see if I had foolishly used them during my customization phase.  Nope.  I finally broke down and ordered it. 

Is there a gremlin out there trying to trip me up? 🤔

Julie

2 hours ago, Julie Mo said:

I had to find some way to keep the boat from floating away.

1 hour ago, Julie Mo said:

So I'm ready to start on the deck and the first thing I need is 1x3mm strips.  They are nowhere to be found.  I looked everywhere.  I even checked to see if I had foolishly used them during my customization phase.  Nope.  I finally broke down and ordered it. 

Is there a gremlin out there trying to trip me up? 🤔

always excuses :) 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I'm looking at the stern piece for the deck and I can't believe Amati had this in mind.

Endv_069.jpg.367ba55bc2e914d684e718b0c7adccbd.jpg

I realize I didn't use their material for the second hull planking but I can't see how that gap could have been prevented.  The instructions look as if that deck piece ends up flush with the hull planking.  Here's some top pics:

Endv_070.jpg.348917bbd0a4df23b61db5bbf59af2f0.jpg

They say to use (2) 1x3mm strips to butt up to that piece to run from stern to bow.  To do that and cover the hull planking overhang on the transom that stern piece has to be where it is in the above pic.

Endv_071.jpg.4a876eda89c599084f900ac6c042254e.jpg

I looked at Keith Aug's Endeavour pics and it looked like he probably didn't have this issue. 

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on those strips from Crown Timberyard.  It's been almost two weeks and not a peep!  I don't own any of those fancy tools for milling tiny wood.  Maybe I need a shop full of Lilliputian shipwrights.

Edited by Julie Mo

Julie