Endeavour 1934 by Julie Mo - Amati - Scale 1:35 - America's Cup UK J-Class Challenger

Thanks for that video, Impressive!

okay so they are "hand made", now is the questions - How much does a set of four run?

Probably way to much for my bank account. :P

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have always tried to visualize making a good file now that I have seen it am grateful.  That is a craft that probably has to be learned and while a machine can punch and groove it cannot read the steel and know how to correct any problems that come up.

David B

Fascinating. Like all good craftsmen they make it look so easy. Now I understand why they are not cheap. Something to add to my ever growing tool list.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I have always tried to visualize making a good file now that I have seen it am grateful.  That is a craft that probably has to be learned and while a machine can punch and groove it cannot read the steel and know how to correct any problems that come up.

David B

David, what they were making was rasps, not files.  I just wanted to make that distinction in the event you went shopping.  ;)   Rasps work much differently than files on wood.  I never found much usefulness for wood files, but once I discovered rasps, I felt like Geppetto.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Fascinating. Like all good craftsmen they make it look so easy. Now I understand why they are not cheap. Something to add to my ever growing tool list.

Richard.

Richard, I apologize in advance for the financial hardship this addiction may cause.  :rolleyes: 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

So I looked into the website the rasps, and oh yes, they are on the higher price side, but now since I know how they are made ......one by one, and probably getting a life time warranty along with them. It's time to reconsider. If I only have to buy one set of rasps to be used for the rest of my life time, yep definitely I will do it.

And yes, I prefer to help a small company like that..... those are the roots of true quality companies.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Per, I would suggest first buying one modeler's rasp, 6-7", with maybe a 13 grain. You will find this a pretty versatile tool and you'll get a feel for what they do without having to buy a set.  It's easier on the pocketbook pain.  If you need others, you can gauge what you need based on your experience with the first rasp.  Craftsman Studio carries Auriou and has free shipping on orders over $75, which is pretty much every Auriou rasp, so shipping costs won't be an issue buying one at a time.

I have the Auriou needle rasp set that I have found very useful in this build.  I also have a few rifflers that have come in handy, too.

Liogier has what they call a "very tapered rasp" they describe as: Due to their very small cross section and a very fine stitching grain, these rasps allow a perfect finish and provide access to hard to reach parts with sandpaper. They are also used in model-making or to make miniature objects.  It looks interesting as a model builder's tool.  I am too new to this to make any real assessment but I may one day find one of them in a package on my doorstep. :rolleyes: 

Julie

Julie,

YIKES!!!!!! The idea of packing up 20+ years of accumulated stuff in my house, much less my workshop, gives the cold shivers and shakes. It makes me want to lock myself in my fly tying room with a half gallon of Johnny Walker.

Your comment above regarding the possibility of the Liogier Very Tapered Rasp showiing on your doorstep has completely convinced me that you are an unabashed tool junkie in serious need of an intervention!

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Your comment above regarding the possibility of the Liogier Very Tapered Rasp showing on your doorstep has completely convinced me that you are an unabashed tool junkie in serious need of an intervention!

John, I confess to being a tool junkie but any attempts at an intervention will be met with the utmost resistance including but not limited to temper tantrums, kicking, screaming, yelling and, if the intervener is persistent, very loud and shrill whining. 

I support your purchase of the Liogier rasps and in the event making that purchase brings about any personal strife, I will appear on your behalf as a hopeless tool addict and show the need to own more tools is as important as breathing.   ;)

Julie

I think we're all tool junkies here along with many of being bookaholics, kit addicts, and/or plan horders.  There is no cure that I'm aware of.  Dr. Per has topic for shipaholics but so far, no one has been cured to my knowledge.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/474-therapy-for-shipaholics/  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I've been following your build log and while I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on modeling, I have picked up some nifty tools for when I do. I applaud your attention to detail and efforts for a fine strong model. I look forward to your continuation after you've settled and have the time.

Fair winds, following seas, and a fair lee.

As Mark mentioned, so far the little group of society for finding the cure of Shipaholism are struggling........ :)

The client and test group is to small to get accurate readings out from the trials.

I am fully aware about the bookaholism, toolaholism situation...... still of today, it is an small but expanding group.

But, once there... we are looking at the Nobel Price! :P​ 

As for the Endeavour, looking sharp! Keep us posted!

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

• 5 months later...

I never thought it would take so long to get the shop set up. But I am just now coming to that point when I can move about and get things done.

It will still be a while before I can devote any serious time to the build but I am happy to report I have her in a place she won't be forgotten.

Endvr_58.jpg

I have great plans for her. :)

Julie

I great to see you back, Julie.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back. Look at that view outside your house! I am so jealous. No wonder you haven't been working on your ship. Try to spend more times indoors? For us? :)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Your back, that's great!  :pirate41:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Since we moved in last December, I have completely gutted the master bedroom, right down to the block wall or studs.  We found mold and the remains of a once great civilization of termites.  Then it all had to be built back up again including new PTL firring, foam board insulation and all new electric.  Then drywall, taping and painting.  I HATE TAPING!!!  Anyway, we've got a coat of primer paint on it now.

The other big project is a new frame for our waterbed.  I move a lot slower these days, like about 1/10 the speed of my younger days.  But the Endeavour will not be forgotten.  Every time I walk into the workshop (which is several times a day) I see it.  No out of sight, out of mind is being permitted. B)

Julie

Oh, I also forgot to mention we painted the exterior of the house, laid sod in the front and planted a ton of plants and a few trees, too.  So it's not like I've been letting moss grow on me.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

As I am plodding along...

Endvr_59.jpg

I was trying to find out just how big this boat may be. So I banded the pieces of the mast together and clamped the boom in place.  Where on earth can this behemoth go?  We only have 8' ceilings!

OK

Carry on...

Julie

Whoa.

And don't forget the flag

post-12980-0-43569600-1467605191.png (Endeavour in 2004)

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavour_(yacht)

That's an amazingly tall mast. 

So maybe a floor to ceiling display case? I looks like you got just enough space for small bookshelf at the bottom.

All the best,

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I've had visions of creating a stand that gives the appearance of the boat heeling in weather.  I don't think that will happen.  I may just go back to the original idea of creating the boat being docked just after a race.  Or maybe I'll sell it to the local yacht club.  :pirate41: 

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I had a chance to work on the mast a bit.  I glued up all the pieces and then took a block plane to it to first straighten it and then shape it.

Endvr_60.jpg

It wasn't the job I thought it would be.  I was able to create a taper fairly well but I don't know how to scale it is right now.  The shape still isn't right (I'm trying to make it oval like most aluminum masts are today) and I think I still can shave some more off without violating the scale.  

Anyone know where I might be able to find approximate top and bottom dimensions for a mast like this?

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

I started on the keel bulb tonight and immediately realized the instructions over simplify the installation. 

The bevel required to get the edges of the keep strips to butt up properly is substantial.  You're working with 2x2 mm strips of wood and I don't have a Honey I Shrunk The Kids machine so I can see what I'm doing.

I beveled the first two strips, on either side of the centerboard, first starting with an inlay thickness gauge then finishing off with a violin maker's plane.  Here's what it looked like:

Endvr_61.jpg

The rubber band is applying pressure according to the shape of the keel. 

Endvr_62.jpg

The top view shows the problem more clearly.

Endvr_63.jpg

Pretty sad...

Maybe this is acceptable, I don't know.  If I had no help or input on this, I would consider it completely unacceptable. 

Am I being too picky?  Or do I just need to buckle down and get the bevel right?

Edited by Julie Mo

Julie

Julie - I prefer to get it right - even though it will be hidden by the second planking - but many will revert to epoxy filler and as it won't be seen it will look fine.

Here is how I did it.

Firstly I didn't start at the bulb. If you work up to the bulb at least you have something to but the bulb planks up to. Here is how I did it.

I planked from the deck towards the keel until it started to become apparent that the bow profile needed to start transition from sharp to a rounded form. At this point I laid the first 3 bulb planks along the keel. One central, plus one either side.

post-17220-0-52684400-1469184544_thumb.jpg

post-17220-0-22304500-1469184641_thumb.jpg

All the keel planks need to be shaped into a trapezoidal shape and I did this by sanding using a sanding jig that I made. This was a piece of oak with a 2mm wide 1mm deep slot cut along its length. The 2mm x 2mm keel strips were place in this slot and the protruding 1mm was shaped by sanding along its length and at an angle to the surface of the oak. If you have a violin plane this might be better than sanding. The oak plank had other slots of differing thicknesses to take other planks. 

post-17220-0-72004400-1469184755_thumb.jpg

I progressed with the hull planks until once again it seemed that the rounded form of the bulb needed to be fuller - I then laid the next 2 planks along the length of the bulb.

post-17220-0-48298200-1469184799_thumb.jpg

I continued in this manner until the hull and the bulb planking was complete.

post-17220-0-18863200-1469185018_thumb.jpg

My feeling was that my method was better than that suggested in the instructions.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

P.S.

Julie looking at the back of your keel it looks quite consistent in thickness. Mine had a waist - see photo.

post-17220-0-74208300-1469186466_thumb.jpg

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846