How Do I Lube/Protect a Metal Lathe Without Oil?

In the past I have had metal lathes. I always protected and lubed them with various oils. Now I have a small one that I will be using mostly for wood and plastic parts. Lube oils and wood make a bad combination, as the oil would invariably end up on the wood.

If any of you have lathes what do you use to protect the sliding surfaces from wear and rust?

I use a silicone spray... spray it on and then after it dries a bit, rub it with a cloth.  I've also used Pledge furniture polish and that works well also. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There are 'dry' teflon lubricants that are applied in liquid form, e.g. Tri-Flow. I use it on my woodworking tools, as well as paste wax for planar surfaces.  These reduce dust accumuations..  There are other vegetable rust-protective oils that are used by woodworkers - camelia oil from tool suppliers (highland woodworking), and canola (rapeseed) oil from the grocery store (e.g. PAM).  However, they should be removed from time to time so that a gooey hard buildup doesn't accumulate.

I would avoid silicone spray -- it's got a very bad reputation among musical instrument builders because it often spoils finishes and is nearly impossible to remove. 

Edited by Bob Blarney

• 3 weeks later...

I use Johnsons floor wax for all my power tool surfaces. Especially tablesaw tops, planers, jointers. Just put it on and buff it out. It makes the wood move easier across the surface and protects from rust. I would also like to add that when the humidity is high outside and it's cold, well that seems to be the problem time for rust to appear. Especially if you have sawdust all over the surfaces you are trying to protect. The sawdust absorbs moisture from the air and will leave a small amount of rust which will build up if left untreated. I use a brush to keep those surfaces clear to also help prevent rust. I am speaking from my own experience on this. Hope this helps.

Greg H.

Edited by Burroak

GREG H.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, silicone sprays are death to fine finishes in the shop environment.  The silicone "dust" gets into the air and settles on things.  Then it transfers to the finish surfaces and coatings (particularly varnish) will form "fisheyes" wherever they come in contact with the slightest bit of silicone.  (It seems to affect the surface tension of the coating material.)  Just don't go there!

You guys have me scared.  I have not seen my lathe for a long time  My sister packed it so I know it is around someplace.  I wonder how bad it has gotten.  I used to use a good paste wax used for cars.

David B