Santìsima Trinidad by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - De Agostini - Scale 1:90 - Cross-Section

Hello Jack,

Your x section is beautiful. I was so inspired that I purchased this kit, and I should be receiving it next week. The copper plating is also beautiful. I will follow your example and do this as well.Thanks for noting how many were needed (+360+. May I ask what size are the copper plates? I will order the same size. Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Michael D

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

. . . .Thanks for noting how many were needed (+360+. May I ask what size are the copper plates? I will order the same size. Thanks in advance for your response.

HI Michael, It is past long time since I purchased the copper plates. I don't remember their measures, I can write that approximately they should be 5 x 12 o 5 x 13 but to be sure I have to take one of the remaining and take the real measure. But in this moment I am not at home and I will not be back until mid May. I'll bookmark your question and answer later. Anyway I had the impression there was only one size from Mantua . . Cheers, Jack. 

Wednesday May 11th, 2011 - Quartedeck guns

Yesterday I continued to work around the quarterdeck guns.

I needed 5-6 hours, divided into two sessions, to reach the following result and to 95% finish the installation of the 9pdr long guns. Now I have to work around the obuseros. 

To properly install the guns I should have to use some two ways blocks, but they were too big for this scale and I wasn't able to find any of them in the right scale.
So i used the one way blocks, making some changes to the way they were mounted. I made some test to scratch build them but I wasn't completely successful: similar for me to "Mission Impossible II" movie. I know only one person within my modellers circle, able to do this work but it is light years far from me . .

A new set of elements implemented are the belaying pins.
The pins supplied by the kit, again, were very poor so I found something in my "old pieces warehouse". Some adaptations were necessary to adjust the overall pins length: now they should simulate a real pin of 50/55 cm length.
On a marine terms vocabulaty I found that in average a pin was about 30 cm. long but there were two kindsof them: the belaynig pins and the spike, with the second one probably smaller then the first. It is not clear if the definition is for the pins or for the spikes.

Anyway I reproduce them, together with the guns, here below:

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070578.jpg
y4murOuqtUEhgdn9YFDENxN66I6nLVruUi8t5GIg

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070579.jpg
y4mBV_ZkcJyp_vrZ4JA7RFSNpK7H3fg93kvgIF_e

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070580.jpg
y4m3F2sgTCtX5GLxikgDisi2ICPzngZL1qE-pQCu

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070581.jpg
y4m-2Rro8v_rz9axTA4oB_z4D-HbQDJI7FYTGl9B

See you next time, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Monday May 16th, 2011

During these last days I thought a bit on how to complete the model. I have two solutions in mind, the first is to install the complete main mast, the second, considering the height of the mast itself compared with the height  of the hull, is to limit the mast to the main top.

Anyway I continued the installation of the "obuseros" and now all the four guns are close to be finished. There is just an element still missing: the recoil rope. Next time also this element will be installed. 

Here below three images of the quarterdeck guns, from different viewpoints.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070584.jpg
y4mRmUmH6gZZdcmztrCJpBmcAEaWht4icnMQoN6c

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070585.jpg
y4mto0wvFaduT8pdOMItEDgdQGro65i0Ndi-NnOv

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070586.jpg
y4mrCxEKPJszJS3Tw3u5onw2cLlTsIDATZh2hIOo

Then, while I was waiting the glue used for fixing the ropes became dry, I started to install some other details I had available: casks, packages, etc.

Last I started to install definitely the ballast. I have used some small stones. On the paper it may seem a simple task but I soon discovered that it was a long, time consuming work: I needed to individually fix each piece of stone with tweezers, using vinyl glue in the proper quantity and position.
As I said, long but also relaxing and without problems at all. I had only to wait with patience the glue was dry to discover that all the stones are well fixed. Now I think to continue tomorrow with other smaller stones to obtain a more flat bed of ballast.
What is showed here below is just an idea of this unfinished ballast.

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070587.jpg
y4m5OkY9cp5WXeQOcRuMnprhSA29wdaiA6Xg1LQ2

Kind regards. Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Beautiful, just beautiful. I love your build.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Like your work

i know from the first site, and i look to "take ideas". I'm working to the same kit,

when i have time

All the best Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Three new images of the cross-section as it was last monday. Three overall viewpoints where it is possible to note that the decks are becoming crowded . .

And it is not yet finished: there are several details still missing that I will add as soon as possible. They are, for example: stepladders between the upper deck and the quarterdeck, shrouds, chain plates, casks, ropes and, more important, the gunport lids.

They are small details in term of dimensions but they need some time and efforts to be built.

In "background" I am also thinking to define a display case for this model. At this point I have 100% decided to finish it with the complete main mast. So the model will be +/- 90 cm high.

I have in mind a dislay case conceived in a way that it can be hanged at a wall as a picture. The model has a relative small depth and I believe this makes possible this kind of presentation. The ideal display case should also be planned making possible to open it in order to change the orientation of the model and show it oriented towards the prow or the poop with minimal efforts.

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey    

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070582.jpg
y4mJUKSY4emYO-ix0XgLUMfCVS7JuutwJGepoxGA

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070583.jpg
y4mrkwkeZYWhIizcfdEw6JVL7wEECKDBMvhExGd2

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070588.jpg
y4mmX-t8Q6T0ZCe2uVr9pLjvGL37tmi50YLs8Q0k

Edited by jack.aubrey

Sunday May 22nd, 2011

Yesterday I prepared the twelve gunport lids for the first three decks. The fourth deck doesn't need them because its gun ports are always open without the lids. I will explain better in a dedicated message the process of their building. 

I have also done new (and few) progresses in spite of the amount of time and work I dedicated. But let's see the new things presented in this message. The first image shows the guns of the quarterdeck finally 100% completed, including the recoil ropes.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070589.jpg
y4mZ7lijeTgIqNg303QRbR9z_OMWR59nDwT-XOry

The next three images show the new details I prepared and installed for the hold and the area above the ballast: some great barrels, a couple of packages, boxes, reels of hawser and various kind of ropes.

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070590.jpg
y4mgj0aV38kHRTmg3NzldqRij9PDPws4q50zBjsk

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070591.jpg
y4mmuCGS0Lsxs5ot0UQ0I0mw2XLhSM3IykFRgItn

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070592.jpg
y4mWzr96ZJRBEhe5jO9me_s97g9_PG8rfwwnG34v

I believe it may be of interest the preparation of the reels of hawser. I've used some round pieces of wood, of different sizes, covered with adhesive tape. I have then twisted the rope around them and I kept them in place with diluted vinyl glue. The day after I extracted the rope from their support of wood and, handling them at will, I obtained the wanted shape. Finally I fixed them in their final place using, again, the vinyl glue, but not diluted. Other shapes of reels, not rounded, were obtained by wrapping up the rope around four nails hammered on a woodden tablet and by using the same technique for glueing.

That's all for today, cheers. Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

. . . continuation . . .

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070593.jpg
y4mdG7cUHJxGteql1sn_COTAzS3-zDzWDJS6-4RO

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070594.jpg
y4mymFFCbnDd50lFIwYJ_Ba894VtNq_oWsUeUsaw

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070595.jpg
y4mbtuUZ5YJ9ROatIMhp8qm7PoL_0meY3oh9KiS0

See all of you next time. Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

P1070584.jpg

Jack,

I had a question about the curved plates that are located under the Carronades (see picture above). Is that typical on ships to have this kind of plates as a reinforcement for the deck, I suppose?

In all the kits I have seen of American or British Brigs equipped with Carronades (example: Syren by Model Shipways), the carronades are directly installed on the wood of the deck, without any protection for their circular motion.

I'd like to know more about this feature if possible.

Thanks

Yves

I had a question about the curved plates that are located under the Carronades (see picture above). Is that typical on ships to have this kind of plates as a reinforcement for the deck, I suppose?

In all the kits I have seen of American or British Brigs equipped with Carronades (example: Syren by Model Shipways), the carronades are directly installed on the wood of the deck, without any protection for their circular motion.

I'd like to know more about this feature if possible.

HI Yves, the curved plates located under the "obuseros" should work as a reinforcement of the deck against the movements and the usage of that guns. The same should be also the metal circle on the weels of the long guns, visible on the same image.

I discussed a lot with other modelers in a ship modeling association where I live and we came to the conclusion that may be a credible feature, although it is not documented in some books I have researched.

At the end I decided to do them after I viewed the image here below, representing the complete model of Santìsima Trinidad, the same model I presented some messages ago.

Anyway It is possible this kind of feature was never born, simply a source of discussion . . Regards, Jack.

post-1168-0-96269200-1366370469_thumb.jpg

May 25th, 2011 - ropes and gunport lids

I finished to apply into the "belly" of the ship various reels of hawser. I made a relative positive experience with their preparation, with different sizes and shapes. I don't have images to show because I decided there is no need to bore you with similar, already published, photoes. But the realism, with these new components is becoming greater.   

The other work I undertook was the building of the gunport lids. I anticipated my decision to discard the metal frames supplied with the kit and to build them from scratch. And this is what I've done. Now they are ready to be installed in place, but I would like to spend some words to explain how I built them.

The main elements used to build the lids are the following:

• square piece of plywood 13 x 13mm, 1mm thickness
  • square piece of plywood 10 x 10mm, 1,5mm thickness; it is glued in the middle of the previous element
  • two copper joints, arrow shaped, to fix on the external side of the lid.
  • copper ringbolt, 0,75mm diameter for the gunport lid opening/closing
  • a small piece of rope starting from the ringbolt and that will be inserted into a bore above the gunport, simulating the rope used to open and close the gunport.  

Now I have to decide the proper moment to fix these lids to the hull . . the main concern is to identify the less risky moment to fix them.

As soon as possible I will update this log. Cheers, Jack.

May 26th, 2012 - Ropes and reels

Here below four images showing the reels of hawser installed onto the lowest decks. First two images show the model as visible from the prow and the remaining from the poop . . 

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070598.jpg
y4mO0C5zh-dn_rxxZJv0WJCARcOwUpsDbZ6qnZdC

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070599.jpg
y4m7IcU1rjoVrsN0cqFW1aTxGqiIYLhD1287Krx0

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070601.jpg
y4mITh7HtDvvaMRSQwEK41K_8BKel3L3OrCBpzNw

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070602.jpg
y4m8DnObpgObqtIcqVG8VSm-1BzTUZcFIxFrccob

Edited by jack.aubrey

May 26th, 2011 - Gun port lids

As I wrote yesterday, I built the gun port lids. I explained quite in detail the building process some messages ago. I had only to decide WHEN to apply them to the model and, obviously I had few arguments to think about to quickly decide to install them immediately !!

They are now definitely fixed in place and now there is only to insert the ropes into the holes bored in the hull and fix them with some glue to finish.

Here below some images of these details. First two are from the right side, the other from the left.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070604.jpg
y4mKmBZyUzSgSsZXi5IQS3kVbCRjpDfI7xL3SuSR

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070609.jpg
y4mOI7s1wRkJCYeVseVdOumwwWpqYN4Pymkys1YS

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070606.jpg
y4m_ajDBqVXHHjwGw472eZJeaehUEOccT8bUXfTo

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070607.jpg
y4mhqzdGd466ZtnsJeFm1DUhCwruKaxlrCm0pL3e

Its useless to write I'm very satisfied of this achievement, being it my first experience to build these elements. It will also be a very useful experience when I will resume another model, the San Juan Nepomuceno.
But they will not be only 12, they are 74 or more !

See you next time, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Jack

Love the details and I will say it again. Beautiful work

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

May 28th, 2011

Two images of a series of ten I shot recently. Here below in foreground are shown the two stepladders that make in communication the upper gun deck with the quarterdeck

I'd like to enrich these ladders with some additional details, such as handrails, details that 99% were in place on the real ship. I need to identify something useful for this feature.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070596.jpg
y4mH0lpISJQ_xOiJQBViVXieuSwMTiU3rNmV1kRl

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070597.jpg
y4mdP8SQciaXgYzzmSXXmpddSR9Y1x1iGnxlJ-If

Yesterday afternoon I started to prepare the chain plates with their deadeyes. Again I didn't follow the instructions and instead of the brass chains supplied in the kit I used different materials. I will show more in the next messages.

Cheers. jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Saturday June 4th, 2011

Having completed the hull with the installation of the gunport lids and later the chainplates, I started to prepare some components of the main mast. For this kind of activity I have to underline that my last, complete experience was made a lot of years ago, maybe 40/45 years ago when I was much younger.

To be well prepared to this new venture I spent some hours to study the masting & rigging plans supplied by De Agostini. These plans are the only real plans supplied by the kit manufacturer. Other plans (hull, decks, etc) are never supplied with this kind of collections and this fact is, for me, the main point of weakness of these products. The first impression is that these plans are quite simplified, if compared with some "holy" books describing masting and rigging, but you have to admit that a section has by definition an incomplete rigging . .    

For this main reason and to avoid risks, I decided to follow the plans supplied, without changes or updates for new details.

First I started by building the yards, task that I considered free of risks to make errors. The yards are four in total of different diameter and length. The result, visible here below, was obtained without power tools: only files, sandpaper, sanding block, broken pieces of glass . .

Here below an image of the first three yards; the main yard is still missing and I will do it next . . in the meantime I will continue my studies of the rigging plan . .

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070621.jpg
y4mXyVuJH3Xy26Y3CXOyM2v1S0IM2lDGBwyaPc9s

Here below other details of the hull. With the exclusion of the handrails for the stepladders, it can be considered 100% finished. The mast can be inserted in its final place without any kind of effort and . . miracle . . it is 100% vertical and straight, properties not always easy to find in a wood rod of 12mm diameter and with an overall length of +/- 50 cm. 

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070617.jpg
y4mNqw51RYhZyfllhVvj9iA9S282U_qzWQdoiMfK

Here are finally visible the chainplates. I did not want to use the brass chains suggested in the instruction but I was not able to built then as they should be really done. This because my poor ability to weld. At the end I adopted the solution you can see here. Surely quite original . . but plausible ? I am not sure, I leave to you to judge . . surely very strong. 

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070613.jpg
y4mZdh-s99enDuHbV3rj5rWQAGnuRjpg24GOAfIy

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070616.jpg
y4m5E1QURjUbxsoG8BXAZpArwaGHGZoAW0nJHnOL

And finally I've found something that could be used to build the handrails. Again I found what I believe can be used in my "old pieces stock" and, if I well remember they should age +/- 40 years. As soon as possible I will install them and I will show to you.

See you next time, Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Sunday June 5th, 2011

Yesterday afternoon I have installed the handrails I anticipated in the previous message. They are 15mm. long and are quite plausible. I think it is necessary to keep in mind that on the real ship these details will be probably removed during the clearing activities before a gunfight. As soon as possible I will show the images of these details: I like them and I think to expand their usage to other areas.

Here below other images of the model as it was yesterday.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070614.jpg
y4mdupIK-Z0_9k37IsK3rFwGzxCJXUI_KE-To3vt

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070619.jpg
y4mpk8muuWvuPPybDafEYBFx3Pu_NXMKL_Mz25GS

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070611.jpg
y4mi7aUgthychOgnxwEqzR2uxfc4ORvUHOmCucNa

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070612.jpg
y4mZEZ7jlLZnTH3fJ32_VWdQIRUeMSJjCH5SSriK

Edited by jack.aubrey

Tuesday June 7th, 2011 - Last details on the hull

As I anticipated in my last message, yesterday I made the last additions to the hull:

- I completed the painting of the chain plates and the deadeyes

- I have mounted the handrails to the stepladders and also in another location I think these elements were probably in place, although the instructions did not mention them.

- last I built the last, bigger yard.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070622.jpg
y4m2etVZSUDcuWO5A45UQvafs7XW_JKNWs1FL1jR

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070623.jpg
y4mbIMl2PwnMD3vQT9ehv97GNs38e-2fAg-iXuYi

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070624.jpg
y4mNj421bAN20Tr-tNkcnDgsHMNy2Fd5Ua2znEFw

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070625.jpg
y4mBxL99zuDX8QVmR3bduoeFSfARo5MagyPEKEXZ

Now I'm concentrated on the masting; it is one of the last main tasks to achieve before completing the model. See you next time, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Monday July 4th, 2011 - Main Mast

It is nearly past a month from my last update and now I have something new to show. I had a lot of things to do not related to ship modeling and for this reason please don't expect too much . . 

In summary, having finished all the activities planned for the hull, I started to prepare the single components of the main mast, four yards, lower mast, top mast, topgallant mast, main top, cross-tree and to assemply them.

My last experience of this kind belongs to more than 40 years ago, so I decided to follow without significant changes the instructions and expecially the plans supplied by De Agostini. But these sources are quite simplified: first all the rigging to and from the other masts is not present, and this has its own logic, but there is also a lot of masting and rigging details not reported on these plans. 

To shape the yards and the masts I didn't use any power tool (i.e a lathe) but I made them using broken pieces of glass, sandpaper and sanding blocks: some fitness can be done also during shipmodeling !! Something was already shown some message ago.

But the first important task was to build the main top. Here below it is possible to watch this elemnt from different perspectives. But I didn't use the supplied materials and I built it from scratch exactly as the top was built on the english vessels (I don't have documentation for spanish ships), even though a bit simplified. The black paint hides totally the big work done . . but for me it is imporant to know how it is built . . 
Now the main top is fixed only to the lower mast, while the top mast and the cap are not yet mounted.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070631.jpg
y4mugProRXAuZI9LXeMfTGWGmh3prVHsT5pmNTH3

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070634.jpg
y4m-hUaStOVzYTbCt8A0t9cgL7fC4Z8qEw_VZncp

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070636.jpg
y4mkcDHTOoJDY2SpuWY0UcxlGYJyOcvE2Np6iPjz

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070642.jpg
y4mJAeMGvOvuc4kVPf6hoiVA6_YtAZxDLwVZV3iD

In a future message I will show better images of the lower mast and the top mast.
Cheers, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

July 12th, 2011

I'm back from a very short holiday in Tuscany.

Here below I'm adding three images of other elements of the mast. In the first a detali of the lower mast. I decided to paint it with a pale yellow instead of leaving it in natural wood: in that period the masts usually were coloured in yellow and black. Yards were black.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070635.jpg
y4mlU62necAZ1lmN-nY4lPCzNBFT7YavZb-r5pBB

Here another image of the mast with other elements. They are here presented in place but not yet fixed. For the top mast I had to use another piece of wood because the one supplied by De Agostini was too much bent. On top there is the cross-tree. the topgallant mast is till missing.

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070641.jpg
y4mHwJyvkM4AiyZQr92ZCSNMjHJf_A-9Lgbbfp4F

Here a detail of the cross-tree. It is a metal die cast piece and I have applied a coat of primer before the final paint same to the main top.

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070630.jpg
y4m049TKdavYLK-Oto1M0Pkj6QpTbdJ3ALI6SvO9

I have seen an image from another modeler that inspired me the kind of presentation for this model. Unfortunately I have lost the image and I can't show it. Having seen the features of this display case, I think that the basic idea to hang the whole (display case with the model inside) at a wall as a normal picture is very good.

See you next time, cheers, Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey

July 16th, 2011

The next four images show the four yards of the main mast. They are still far to be finished . . 

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070637.jpg
y4mTABa9UfBAjIeOLqGScYMqr4ITZ6HD1xb3f-zS

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070638.jpg
y4mYM1S5tE9beYX6q3VPCadeDCtxI6QdeggYbh9q

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070639.jpg
y4mHfjHsFN4vEu-EDbQwS3rfHS6kvvV5b913mpRR

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070640.jpg
y4mvxc3kaF7bVIaXgLwvVZ75aVozKUliF882SDo9

Now I'm preparing the last missing element of the mast, the topgallant mast. Then I will fix definitely all the elements together. That's all for now, cheers, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday July 28th, 2011 - Yards

It is nearly past two weeks from my previous message. I wrote very little things but I worked a lot for the masts and the yards. These tasks take a lot of time and patience and often you don't see big progresses.

The two large yards, just layed above the main top:

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070699.jpg
y4m_4qa7MM81aoVGv9ZSYcDkMifapSQ5tDdz5COH

The remaiing smaller yards layed above the hull, not 100% complete:

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070700.jpg
y4mcL5CmKRHFtgYkp-FztqR2Mx3fTfbyA9XgARPC

A couple of overall views where it's possible to see the topgallant mast, till now ever shown:

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070701.jpg
y4mcGwPwX_exh5jJ9xdPDMDUTnBLjMi_juV5Hg0f

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070702.jpg
y4mZloYF9l9nosYgSIGIza2AGZHvgq1EdLEmsSgl

A last thing: yesterday I have prepared the plans for the display case and in the next days I will buy the materials needed and probably I will start to build it. By doing this case, I believe I will enjoy a lot . . Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey

http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070614.jpg
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070710.jpg
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070711.jpg
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070712.jpg

Edited by jack.aubrey

To integrate the previous message I attach here below some detailed images of the yards. These images were taken the same day of that message. 

The footropes of the yards will be correctly shaped soon. 

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070695.jpg
y4mObNiT_5fVkRorfJDcBKB5Xe4OmOzOXdsePxzb

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070696.jpg
y4mObNiT_5fVkRorfJDcBKB5Xe4OmOzOXdsePxzb

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070697.jpg
y4mff23IhdX4uIOkvCXuJ4SE5TnB7Mid677NsVnl

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070698.jpg
y4mq7-ok_EIu5NpWpSSpOyuIasiDy2Qcx54zcfuN

05 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070695.jpg
y4mApaXeO981mat163QojJhy2eAZ390e_ARedkmv

Below: links to high resolution images . . (the last image shown above sistematically failed to upload so it is missing . . .) 

http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070610.jpg
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070611.jpg
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/12/86/14/83/p1070612.jpg

Edited by jack.aubrey

Friday August 5th, 2011 - The vertical display case . .

While the activities on the mast are progressing slowly, so slowly that there is no need to speak about them, I started to build the display case, based on a prototype from another modeler that inspired me some time ago.  

Honestly it is not the same, from an architectural point of view, but the idea is totally inherited from that prototype . .

The raw materials are the following elements, cut from my plans in a wood wholesaler:
  • ply wood with the external sides in mahogany, 15mm thickness, 2 pieces 450 x 130 mm;
  • same as above but 8mm thickness, 2 pieces 460 x 135 mm;
  • same 8mm. thinkness, 1 piece 960 x 460 mm;
  • 2 strips of ramin 15 x 30mm, 1000mm length. 

First two items of the list will become the bottom and the roof of the case. They will be glued together in order to leave on three sides a ladder of 0,5mm. Next two images show these pieces assembled.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070704.jpg
y4mKb7EQlE0_24bKaVj6QkcWPbs4qoswRztK7ow5

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070706.jpg
y4mc4roMCdTiVJaKH1R3Pop-xugvBA-_-DLCOT6K

Later I covered the thickness of the ply with some veneer . .

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070703.jpg
y4m8XGuNV5MxogC-GrvQAWW-R9-ISFyaMZVfJYxI

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070705.jpg
y4mujtmCPHJaeowGe5yM4tNZ2lU20fG0qXaO5ys5

In the next image one of the two elements completed . .

05 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070708.jpg
y4mk4F05OARv8NAof2shu6DDnCM9uazuM8NYCnr-

See you next time, kind regards, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Saturday August 6th, 2011 - again, the display case . .

The finishing of the base and the roof of the display case is now terminated. I have applied a coat of oil for wood and now I  leave it to dry. And I believe it is possible to see that the color of the wood has now its final appearance. Here follow some new images of the base and the roof. At this stage of the build they are still equal, later the base will change a little to install the elements that will keep inside the hull.

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070710.jpg
y4mVrRsG2N81ZRsG6PJjyM9hxdwGlIdiFs3C_mLK

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070713.jpg
y4mfNxZWjPB6Ui4QAxoHh-CFU-rMhkWXuEZ-okiO

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070714.jpg
y4mQd2vEVf5r58o_d0huWQYL9qyLjiZhA1s3rUd5

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070716.jpg
y4mtOICcMwlgsFAkq0OOAeZn4v1gH1ARPWQNN_HK

See you next time, cheers, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Sunday August 7th, 2011 - Always about display case

The work for the display case is progressing. Now the base and the roof are fixed to the background panel. Later I applied the two 15x30mm pieces with the main function to strengthen the structure and to provide support for the plexiglass. The next images show the whole case still under pressure

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070718.jpg
y4mAYE7HVrE5wGimDqVMsCq_X-2L40UX-lFKauXX

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070719.jpg
y4md2MgNu07WkcH93y1K6Fi75y0yILcBW4RG12vj

In this third image it is possible to see the base with the supports for the hull installed: the central groove where the keel will stay and the two lateral supports to keep the model in vertical position.

03 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070720.jpg
y4mmx0wuORtvUkiscl_rhlEsvUZyDTgZacxnE5A2

04 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070721.jpg
y4m--5Jq1aTsYiM87pkqC_xBE7WWM4diSEBEz6yb

When the glue will be totally dry I will apply also some screws to provide additional strength . . 
See you next time, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Monday August 8th, 2011

As soon as the glue was dry I did not resist: I have placed the case vertically and tryed to see the cross section inside: a matter of minutes and here are a couple of images to see a first preview of the whole . .

01 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070722.jpg
y4mSKBA6PvO0Epre_qWYMnJmZae64FEKls9-a-pe

02 Cross%20Section%20Santisima%20Trinidad/P1070723.jpg
y4msj4Ancg5PjI14jrKL4PGvNcDE_viYtx6WNztG

Now I have to decide how to finish the background panel; three options:

2. oil for wood but the whole becomes too dark . . 

3. a lighter colour, such as white, ivory, light blue . .

4. fabric or a nautical maps . .

A few ideas to think about before sleeping.

Cheers, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Hi Jack

I work to the same cross section of Santisima

I will use an old map for background, but very soft colours,

so maybe you can try this idea.

Hope to be soon as you are now

All the best, Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39