I used a Minwax polyurethane in a couple of coats until I got a good shine. The smooth surface allowed the copper sheathing to stick on nicely (mine was self-adhesive), and it has not come off yet!  I hope it never does!   Been over a year now.  You can see the process in my build log of the Kate Cory down at the bottom of the first page of the log:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6842-kate-cory-by-jablackwell-model-shipways-scale-164-second-ship-build/ 

Best,

~john

Having had bond failure between Weldwood contact cement and flame treated copper plates - a method in the 1970's Model Shipways catalog -  investigate the best conditions for bonding with your chosen adhesive and use that to determine what treatment to give the hull.

It has been a very long time since I saw the brig Eagle hull, but as I remember, the cement under the failed plates was copper colored, making it difficult to tell they were missing.  I suspect the heating process produced a micro layer of a copper oxide that was not compatible with Weldwood.   I also use it to attach cloth backed sanding medium to the platten of my thickness sander.  A heat gun makes for easy removal of the spent sanding medium.  I suspect that Weldwood is medium time frame adhesive.

My present thinking on coppering is to use a high quality archival smooth surface paper painted with copper and verdigris shades and use PVA to attach it to a raw wood hull.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Having had bond failure between Weldwood contact cement and flame treated copper plates - a method in the 1970's Model Shipways catalog -  investigate the best conditions for bonding with your chosen adhesive and use that to determine what treatment to give the hull.

It has been a very long time since I saw the brig Eagle hull, but as I remember, the cement under the failed plates was copper colored, making it difficult to tell they were missing.  I suspect the heating process produced a micro layer of a copper oxide that was not compatible with Weldwood.   I also use it to attach cloth backed sanding medium to the platten of my thickness sander.  A heat gun makes for easy removal of the spent sanding medium.  I suspect that Weldwood is medium time frame adhesive.

My present thinking on coppering is to use a high quality archival smooth surface paper painted with copper and verdigris shades and use PVA to attach it to a raw wood hull.

my plan was to get the self adhesive copper sheeting they use in stained glass works.

If it is intended to adhere to glass,then poly will provide a plastic surface that is about as close to glass as can be had.  You probably want to give the surface a good rubdown wit 0000 steel wool, before, between and after each coat.  Vacuum and tack rag the dust and steel fragments throughly after each treatment.  Any steel left can rust and stain.  600 grit Silicon carbide paper may be a good alternative to steel wool.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers