Anjuna

HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 by Anjuna - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hello! First time builder here, I used to build some plastic models and miniatures when I was a kid and been meaning to grab a more creative hobby for some time now. One day it hit me: I wanted to build a wooden ship model! After two weeks of research (and finding of this forum) I decided to order ship modeling simplified book by Frank Mastini as it was recommended by many and cheaply available. Soon after that I decided on Caldercraft's HM Cutter Sherbourne kit. I wanted a POB kit that was fairly cheap, of high quality and wuold someday yield a possibly quite a good looking model therefore the obvious choice was this cutter :) The kit arrived just today and with it some titebond wood glue, cutting mat, admiralty paint set and swann morton scalpel with two kinds of blades.

I had researched ship building pretty much beforehand so opening the box was not so confusing as some people had described. I started right away by cutting the keel and bulkheads and dry fitting them. Before continuing I need to grab some tools on weekend inclucing sanding papers and block, a couple small clamps and possibly a dremel, as it is discounted at the moment. 

IMG_20151123_173139.jpg

I'm not setting a deadline when I want this completed, as I have quite a lot happening at the moment with school and personal life, but hoping to complete this in about one year. I'm mainly building on weekends and maximum 10 hours a week so progress will probably be slow as well as updating this thread, but I'll very much hope the helpful users of this forum will follow and give me advice as I progress and maybe someday this build log cuold help another starting ship builder like me! 

Until next time!
Anjuna

Hello Anjuna,

Welcome aboard MSW!

You have selected a very nice kit to start with. Please do read some of the Sherbourne logs here, you will likely find some answers. You can also PM the author if you have questions. Another place to find help is in the "Building, Framing, Planking . . ." forum in "Shop Notes, Ship Modelling . . ." on the main page.
 If you have questions.please ask! Members here are alsways helpful and encouraging.

Enjoy,

Dave B

Anjuna,

Hi and welcome to MSW!

Quite a few of us here are building the Sherbourne and I am sure will want to help – as has been said, any questions you have ask away! Read the various build logs here but starting your own means that we can follow your progress and offer advice.

Good idea to take your time and carefully consider each step. Also read ahead in the instructions, as this will pay dividends later on. Regarding the instructions, they are pretty minimal and often leave you scratching your head. Not to worry – this is where MSW comes in!

Good luck. :)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Anjuna, welcome. :722972270:  Dave and Kester have given you some good tips. So when you're ready, start a log and ask away. This crew is friendly and will help you as much as you need it.

Thank you all for your kind words! Got a nice amount of building done today as I found time to grab some sanding papers and a block from a hardware store yesterday. I have been fairing the bulkheads on the sides and the deck and been fitting planks to see how they curve etc. as this is all very new to me, that being said  I think I have progressed quite a bit even if it was my first day of building, tomorrow I'm planning to finish the bulkheads so that I can start gluing them to the keel next week! 

IMG_20151128_173549.jpg

I decided on not using balsa wood filling blocks on stern and stem (? I'm not still not that familiar with these ship words :D), but instead I'm going to use these small filling plywood pieces supplied with the kit. The shape of the hull is pretty forgiving and I think this is going to be enough to keep the planks in place. The "filling piece" is not yet finished, only roughly shaped and the final shape will form when I have glued the other bulkheads and see what exactly what kind of curvature they'll need. Now, I wuold have one question regarding the bulkheads at the keel; Should I level the bulkheads and the keel or should I leave some space for first layer of planks before the walnut keel? Also, should I sand the bulwarks on the upper side as well for bulwarks? I've understood that those parts will be cut off after gluing the bulwarks.

IMG_20151128_173531.jpg

The upper is looking pretty good, will give it a final sanding when those bulkheads are glued. Another question; should there be curvature on the deck as seen above, so that the deck wuold be at it's highest on the centerline? The pieces were cut like that so I sanded them like that.

That's it for today I guess, 'till next time!

Great to see another Sherbourne in the yard. You're absolutely right not to put an end date on the build, as you'll probably find that you spend a lot of time researching the various parts as you come to them, and then deciding whether you want to go with the kit parts or you'd prefer to make your own. I reckon I've spent very much more time researching, reading and looking at other build logs than I have on the actual model.

Kester's advice about thinking ahead is also very good. Just a short time ago I realised that it would have been much simpler if I'd left off putting on the topmast until after I'd put on the shrouds, backstays and mast tackle. The kit instructions don't provide such handy hints, so it's not only a question of reading through the plans but thinking how you might achieve each part of the build.

In relation to your question about the keel, stem and sternpost, that's another example of thinking ahead. The general advice is to leave those till after you've done the planking. That way you'll find that you'll be able to sand off the bearding line easily so that the planks do lie flush with the stern post.

Finally, yes, the upper bulwarks will be snapped off, and the deck does indeed have a curvature with the highest point at the centre running bow to stern. This means that when you come to putting on the hatches and companionways you'll have to put a curvature into their bases as well.

As others have said, read the other logs on the Sherbourne and other ships carefully as you'll be intrigued by the number of different approaches there are to making the same parts. It depends on the level of your interest, the tools you have at your disposal, and whether you place any importance on the final product being clearly something that would be appreciated by anyone other than yourself. For example, do you really want to put treenails into the deck or hull planking when even on a real ship they are near invisible? I did, but probably just to prove to myself that I could do it. Another example is the size of rigging thread -- many people prefer to make the differences in size have greater visual difference than a true difference in scale. At each stage you'll find lots of similar examples.

There are lots of conventions about the appearance of a model that really are just convention -- so you have to make up your own mind about which conventions to follow and which please you the most. After all, these things can never be absolute replicas. Otherwise we'd be building the same size ship as the original.

In the end, as so many others have said in their logs and comments, the point of the build is that you enjoy it, that you do it at your own pace, and that you don't get too worried about achieving quickly the very great skills that others demonstrate. After all, they too had that learning curve.

I very much look forward to your log as you develop your own unique Sherbourne.

Tony