SMS Emden by RGL - FINISHED - Revell - 1/350 - Complete

Aww come on Greg the rigging will be a doddle after your Endeavour ;):)

Seriously though, some lovely detail you have add tis this little beauty.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The bridge is fairly much done, just have to add the flybridge which won't come till very late in the piece as they stick out a fair bit. The binnacle, search light controls, voice tubes and flag locker added, as well as 5 scratch built pinrails.No, the pinrails are not that good but they'll have to do as they will have rigging belayed to them.

At this macro there are lots of touch ups to go, but given the stays have to go in yet, there is not much point starting that till the end of the build to hunt and patch mistakes.

The Masts upper rigging is complete and all done off kit. At the moment they are just dry fitted and once stuck on, I will work inboard to outboard deck to topmast on the rigging.

I reckon I'm about 2/3rd of the way there now.

post-253-0-77462700-1460006737_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-48073800-1460006742_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-62681700-1460006745_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-93494900-1460006887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Incredible - I take my hat off to you and watch in ore  open mouthed and think - i will never be able to do stuff like that to my Warpy..... :o :o :o

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Mate you'll be fine, the problem at this scale is rigging, it's hard to belay, pulleys and blocks are too small, and you have to come up with a representation of what it should look like. I e spent 6 hours today doing shrouds and signal ropes. All my plans were for nought as to what I wanted to do as its too small. On a wooden ship I can belay and place stays, at this scale there is no rope on earth I can use, so I use EZ line, which sometimes does what it wants. Rigging my Endeavour was fun and logical, this is not.

Greg

I haven't I admit, the reason I like the EZ line is that when I knock it, which I do repeatedly, the line gives and does not pull (and, I'm sure we all do this), with the requisite wince, wondering what is going to snap off setting me back months.

I keep saying "I should have done that before I put it on the ship".

Greg

The bulk of the rigging is now done. Lots of clean up to do particularly where the stays meet the deck, but overall it's the best I can do. I now have to add the aerials. I have used two diameter rigging line, the smallest the size of a human hair and just as hard to use but comes up OK.

post-253-0-12969300-1460262781_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-56768300-1460262790_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-68725100-1460262795_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-90714900-1460262802_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Greg, 

That is outstanding work at any scale or size.  Just Wow...!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful - very nicely detailed Greg.

cheers

Pat

The bulk of the rigging is now done. Lots of clean up to do particularly where the stays meet the deck, but overall it's the best I can do. I now have to add the aerials. I have used two diameter rigging line, the smallest the size of a human hair and just as hard to use but comes up OK.

Very nice work Greg, I really like the ship...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Finally finished off the masts. I have not tidied up yet but will save that for when I have completed everything. I have now done the flag halyards and the aerials in .01mm thread. I could add more but I think that's enough as it's nerve racking. The top mast has 2 aerial spreaders which I used some 3mm stanchions. the last shot is off the comparison t the Varyag to date.

From a normal distance it has come up OK.

I intend to finish off the deck equipment next, then the railings and individual stanchions before moving n tot he life boats. Maybe in that order.

post-253-0-46263700-1460427493_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-49768000-1460427500_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-44790700-1460427506_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-25673600-1460427510_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-60196300-1460427517_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-15612600-1460427523_thumb.jpg

Greg

Looking very neat indeed Greg.

I am always amazed at how much 'rigging' these steel sail-less ships have, especially large battleships. Always seem to be cables, stanchions, derricks, railings etc in the way.  I sometimes wonder how they maneuver the main turrets and fire without blowing bits off themselves.

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

A couple of very nicely detailed ships there Greg; you'll have a miniature fleet before you know it :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Stanchions added, stern and bow bitts scratch built. I know they look a bit wonky, but once I have had the pain of threading about 300 tiny needles to add the rails, I will align them properly s they won't go flying off. They are each 2.5mm tall. You can just see the fairleads from Park at Artwox which come up a treat.

post-253-0-04887800-1460871141_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-56097200-1460871147_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-54676500-1460871152_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-11954600-1460871156_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-71708900-1460871160_thumb.jpg

Greg

Stanchions added, stern and bow bitts scratch built. I know they look a bit wonky, but once I have had the pain of threading about 300 tiny needles to add the rails, I will align them properly s they won't go flying off. They are each 2.5mm tall. You can just see the fairleads from Park at Artwox which come up a treat.

THe true sign of a model making genious is when it can sail through the scrutinizing view that a camera shows worts and all,   Fantastic Work Greg.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I've finally finished something. The foredeck is complete. The railings are done, the spare anchor placed and it's davit. I replaced the bits on the bow so the railings actually run above them so the scale is a little more realistic. As you can see the entire area is about 5cm, so it's quite busy.

post-253-0-22157500-1461382946_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-13353900-1461382951_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-18250900-1461382957_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-58125400-1461382961_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-13210100-1461382968_thumb.jpg

Greg

Amazing detail for that scale. It's not until you see the pictures of the 150mm ruler next to it that you realize just how small it is. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Some excellent detail there Greg; the checkboard effect of the capstan scotchman looks really good.  One milestone down, only a couple to go?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

That's what you call it? I have 76 eyelets to thread, so to put it off I cleaned out the shed and I'm going to use fine pavers to lift my desk up about a foot so I can see what the hell in doing. As winter is coming I bought a new lamp with the best globe I could get to help. I can see so many lessons learnt.

The Dreadnought is now in the slips after 4 months of storing up on extras from all around the world.

Davits and ships boats next, with a lot of bashing required, then the side of hull features, with the last 10 guns to go. No one makes German flags from that era so it will be bare poled.

Greg

Outstanding work Greg.  I have always wondered about the paint scheme on these pre-dreadnoughts.  Whether US or German they are all the same color was there a reason for this?  As for flags one of the club members in Chicago gave an excellent demo on making flags.  If you contact Kurt or Bob Filipowski who are also MSW members they may be able to help you out.  I think a DVD was made but I could be wrong.

David B.