HMAV Bounty By cobra1951 - Artesania Latina - 1:48

Just found this, looks good! I've just bought the Sergal Bounty.... however am banned from building it until I finish the viking ship I am on with.. (shields to paint and its finished, so not long!) :)

I started to look at the overall quality of the kit, just checking I have it all, honest! The bulk is fine, however there are two ply sheets that have the tops of the cutters and other parts laser cut... these are bent and split, so am guessing I will have to replace them.

The instructions are irritating, as the languages are split all over the pages, it makes them really hard to follow. I think I will scan them in and then combine all the english bits together.

I think I may bash mine a little to get the holds a bit more exposed, like yours above...... the  Sergal frames are solid, so will need some cutting out where I want to cut away the hull. I think this will need some thinking through or I could end up with a twisted frame.

@ Antony

Hi Antony, i agree the only way to make sure you get quality wood is to source your own as you do for your scratch building. Especially if you live near a supplier then you can go and look at what you are buying first.

Most kit manufacturers will replace any faulty materials but AL wanted me to do this then when you have done it do that and so on. Easier to buy more even if it does double the price of the kit in the end at least you'll be happy with the finished model.

I told AL that they should not put wood that is so obviously flawed in the kit in the first place, as usual they just stopped answering :angry:

@ Chidokan

Hi, If you contact your kit supplier they will usually get the ply replaced for you, if not contact the kit manufacturer. Sergal are part of Mantua so probably them. Take photo's of the parts and of your receipt for the kit and e-mail the photo's to them with your request.

If you are worried about twisting the frame check the first few posts in this log and make yourself a slipway to hold it straight while you build and also when you start planking the hull and only remove it to do the last few lower planks by that time everything will be held square by the planking ;)

Someone else reading this may have a better way and may help

Edited by Cobr@

Cut my masts to the sizes given in the instructions (hope that part of the instructions are correct)

Squared of the ends so they fit into the mast steps

post-11947-0-12546400-1458663492_thumb.jpg

All 3 masts fitted and are looking ok to my eye with a backward rake on the mizzen mast. Can't use a square to check because of the curvature of the deck, both sideways and lengthways

post-11947-0-70201800-1458663534_thumb.jpg

All even and at the same angle

post-11947-0-36855300-1458663593_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

Quick update

Finished simulating the treenails on the main deck

post-11947-0-38652700-1458843513_thumb.jpg

Fitted stern plate

post-11947-0-00881600-1458843542_thumb.jpg

Added the stern plate stanchions

post-11947-0-45246800-1458843580_thumb.jpg

Ready to plank the stern plate. You may remember further back in the build i mentioned that besides the masts and decking i would probably have to replace a lot of the hull planking this is why. I may get enough pieces out of the warped ones to plank the stern plate or some of it at least.

post-11947-0-08578800-1458843705_thumb.jpg

Hi Lawrence, thanks :)

I emailed AL and after taking 4 days to answer me and wanting this and that, i decided it was quicker to replace it myself. I then told them i had already replaced the timber and that they should have better quality control and they didn't bother to reply.

"I then told them i had already replaced the timber and that they should have better quality control and they didn't bother to reply."

Well, even tho they didn't reply, I'm sure they were most grateful for your input.

Yeh, Right.  :D

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting everyone that has been following this log know that Bounty is no more.

Do not place your model on the bed then play with the dog on the same bed, because once you land on top of it this is the result

post-11947-0-70897400-1460363397_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-44901700-1460363407_thumb.jpg

It was my own stupid fault and the dog is not to blame

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to or liked the posts in this log

Now onward with more builds, the left over wood and parts will come in useful in the future i'm sure

Hi Bob,

now that really looks like a fatal accident,   :o:huh::(  I`m so sorry and can sympathise with you the moment you heard that cracking noise under yourself.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob,

So sorry to hear this.  

You won't believe this but I almost lost my Bounty to our new Pug Dog as well.  I was thinking about it yesterday...how I need to be more careful where I leave it in the house.  Then I read this post  :(

Will you start another Bounty, or something else? 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks guys you seem more concerned than me :D  It's only wood and i would rather i landed on it than the dog, imagine trying to find the splinters in all that hair :D

I am already partially through another build i have been doing alongside the Bounty.

Also i am thinking which boat kit to get next probably not another AL because of the quality issues i had with their wood

When I saw those pictures, I thought Oh no!

Then again, I know you Bob..... you will put the Bounty aside for a long time. And maybe some day repair the damages, unless they are far beyond saving. I surely like the build log. Hope you and your dog are okay.

Bob, I agree with you 100% regarding the quality of wood in AL's kit.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Per

Bounty is beyond resurrection :huh: in fact it's already in the the rubbish bin  :o  lol

Thanks for the concern for me and my dog, he is fine apart from thinking he had done something wrong which he hadn't, but lots of biscuits sorted that out :D

As for me i moved on and forgot it within 5 minutes, i did think of setting fire to it and pretending it was a replica of the Bounty when they left it at Pitcairn :D :D :D

Edited by Cobr@

Sometimes an accident brings another kind of ideas... I see a future diorama of a shipwreck.

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Sometimes an accident brings another kind of ideas... I see a future diorama of a shipwreck.

It's a ship in a bin.....similar to a ship in a bottle but on a larger scale :D

Hi Bob.

Time to start scratch building.

Just do the bow section.. or Stern section with what's left over.

It's a shame to bin the work that you have put into it.

Well it's more time to spend on your Gun Station.

Regards Antony?

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Nice choice...to tell you the truth, if my dog got the Bounty I wouldn't build another one.      

And it has nothing to do with AL  :)

For me to buy another AL kit i would have to be able to view the contents before purchasing, because of all the bad timber in the kit i had. And i know others have had bad timber in theirs also

Awe yes using the bed as a playground has it's price ;)  ;) . You have the right attitude in saying it's only wood, carry on.

I have always had the attitude of worrying about it won't change anything so i don't :)

Wow mate.. I'm sorry for your efforts. Though it is just a piece of wood it hurts somehow.

But amasingly good ideas keep on comming from all over the world, don't you agree? Shipwreck diorama, part build (bow/stern), even ceremonial setting her on fire (this one should be filmed)   :).  Yet, you chose the best option i think - go straight ahead and never look back!

Good luck with your next models!

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

Sorry to hear about the tragic outcome Bob. I'm sure there will be a beautiful replacement coming up.

Best, Ian

Thanks Capt Fisher and thanks Ian :)

New replacement build arrived this morning "Occre Endeavour" will start on it soon :)

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Capt Fisher

As you requested a pic of the star of this story :D :D :D

Don't tell him i posted this or else he will think he's a media star  :P :P :P

post-11947-0-13342000-1460569566_thumb.jpg

Bob,

What is his name?

Looking at those eyes, he says I didn't do it.... I am innocent.. lol

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry