Armed Launch by mobbsie - FINISHED - Panart - 1/16 - Small

I really like that masthead Mobbsie with the pulley in it and the bracing ropes.  You and seamstress have excelled in making that sail.  3 tea bags?  I remember my mother dying a white blouse with tea because she couldn't afford to buy a new one.  That way she had a new blouse for the price of a few tea leaves. 

Nice work on your build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Mobbsie, love the sail and mast. Looks great. Interesting way of bending the sail to the yard/mast - I have not seen it done that way before. Your boat is coming along nicely. I like the wood colors - nice combinations.

sorry to hear of your computer problems..........good that you have them all squared away  :)    masting and sails look great....definitely will compliment the sweet look'in hull you created!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 11 months later...

Hello One and All,

It's been almost a year since I last visited my log and it's about time it was resurrected. 

Life has it's ups and downs and unfortunately I have been on a bit of a down, without going into any detail I basically lost me mojo.

The boat has been completed and I will be posting the remainder of the progress pics very shortly.

Thanks to all who have enquired after my well being and showed concern, it's really very heart warming.

Watch this space guys.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

very well. i thought we have lost yet another Legend...

if i may ask, does your kit come with some kind of rescue boat? i am asking because i have managed to get my hands on a finished kit of Lancia amarta and it has a small rescue boat fitted and glued down. and its terribly out of scale...

IMG_6611.JPG

Edited by maaaslo
Adding picture

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

I can't imagine that to be so maaaslo, as the launch is already a ships boat ... besides, you must be a bonsai midget to fit in that at the scale it is ... it doesn't belong in there

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great to see you back Mobbsie my friend! :):):)

Pav - if the boat has been glued in with PVA, then some judicious application of isopropyl alcohol should help you to remove it.

Hi Guys,

Pav,  I think your little rescue boat is for the ships cat mate, as Grant has suggested copious amounts of isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. If it's a CA type glue then you could try some nail polish remover, just depends how long it's been cured.

Now if I can remember how all works I will try to download or should I say upload ( never sure which it is ) some pictures. Unfortunately the pictures aren't as comprehensive as I would have liked.

The kits gun carriage timbers were substituted from ply to Swiss Pear, the kit parts were used for template purposes only, they went together quite well and on fitting suspended by either end and nothing in the middle. A bit of jiggery pokery and we have the semblance of a fit.

The gun was fun, whatever I tried to blacken it, it would just come out mottled, I cleaned it to within an inch my life but it wasn't having any of it, out came the trusty paint pot, something I didn't want to do on this build.

IMG_1821.thumb.JPG.15c856bb7828f7cb0d2f60d0c31bb93c.JPGIMG_1822.thumb.JPG.639233b236b8301ba7d798a5751960a9.JPG

IMG_1820.thumb.JPG.0cff01e4876f07ae4be108cc779d8d53.JPG

Just tying up a few blocks and tackles for rigging the gun.

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.bedf29f9c608d4a1888dab574d14fd14.JPG

I'm going to call it a day there as I want to see if the pics upload ok, I will post some more later.

Be Good my Friends

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Regarding using isopropil, i thought of that too, but got scared it might attack the inner planking... i will probably just cover it with something. Maybe a bundle of rope, or powder barrels...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Mobbsie, she does look nice, the colour variation is spot on in my oppinion.

regarding up/down dilemma, try to remember: if you want to put something out for others to see you are uploading. If you want to grab something for yourself to have, you are downloading.

Edited by maaaslo
Adding info

It's great to see you back, Mobbsie.   Been wondering where you've been off to.  Beautiful work on the boat.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Arriving late I see, but, at least I'll see the finish.  Lovely boat Mobbsie and great artistic choice for the woods and colours.  Looks huge!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome back messages and comments on the boat, It seems as though I've never been away, what a forum this is.

Going on with the boat, the next step was to rig the gun and tiller bar.

I substituted the 5mm kit double blocks for a far superior block which came to me from Australia, so much better, thanks mate. The rope used was from a previous Caldercraft kit.

IMG_1824.thumb.JPG.2ba4c2a0e996d4635682e1e968f339dd.JPG

This is such an easy rigging system.

IMG_1825.thumb.JPG.4bf965e32ccfc9d160b2bb69aac27276.JPG

Just a little bit of trimming to do, the Breech rope is meant to be that way round otherwise it fouls the Quoin.

IMG_1827.thumb.JPG.5fa1306b50249c859e56c23842fca408.JPG

I can only assume that the Cox'n or Bosun were standing most of the time, I've never seen a configuration like this before.

IMG_1830.thumb.JPG.2c7a4b163465f048b54b6a0e5ff7d251.JPG

It looks as though the tiller is bent, it's purely optical, again a bit of trimming and that bits done.

IMG_1831.thumb.JPG.701d3371f0412b1feb05e8747c66494c.JPG

OK that's me done for now, I invite all comments either good or bad, I only ask that your gentle with me.

Be Good my Friends

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Grant,

Heh Heh, we know don't we !!!!!!!!!!!!

mobbsie

mobbsie

so glad to see you've returned my friend!   I've missed seeing your superb workmanship.   I'll look forward in seeing this one's completion ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Back from the Hols this time and ready to finish this rather long winded log.

The next thing for me to ponder was the type of stand to put her on, I didn't want the kit stand as it seemed a bit chunky. I decided to make what I can only call "feet".

I cut a paper template and cut the feet from 6mm Swiss Pear, I quite like them as they are unobtrusive and they serve the purpose

IMG_1835.thumb.JPG.32e0d42eb0dcb0991e78be54cdde748b.JPG

IMG_1837.thumb.JPG.1bc4a3e8656823b7e8de7f7a33419874.JPG

The Bow "Foot" in place.

IMG_1846.thumb.JPG.8841b5bfaa41d902f2d3f9253df7f634.JPG

The stern "Foot" in place, I think they fit quite nicely and do not draw the eye.

IMG_1847.thumb.JPG.ee12929eae7c1d8b6b3c526260615745.JPG

Only remains to put all the parts together and complete the rigging, the rigging was very simple and did not take long at all, various ropes were used such as Morope, Caldercraft and the local haberdashery shop. Unfortunately I didn't take enough pictures of the methods used and so there is a big jump.

IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.8ffe6b3d5a0e7e74c3bfc2e8b43ef21e.JPG

The mast has been stepped and fully rigged

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.20fdf76e87d44ec9bbd07b1b22875508.JPG

This rig is really simple, no Ratlines ( lovely )

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.62d59b906d9ef3c3c9494f0f48fe136a.JPG

IMG_1842.thumb.JPG.b78a526e0d11cd167f159beecd95aed0.JPG

Bow on, all the little bits have been placed inside, none are fixed.

IMG_1841.thumb.JPG.680ca9e7315da54163dc296027ac1462.JPG

I've just noticed the ensign, it's the Red Ensign (Red Duster) which is for the Merchant Navy, I will have to get a White Ensign.

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.6cf5d61878982c8dedd7a29435455504.JPG

The knots on the Yard are correct and quick release.

IMG_1844.thumb.JPG.4b7a6b79b9c444956727b6ee89d08be4.JPG

The final picture, it's done, I did enjoy building this boat and would recommend it to anyone.

I hope you enjoyed what turned out to something of a long journey and I thank you for your patience.

IMG_1845.thumb.JPG.433619759eb2f41e9912f66725fbe414.JPG

Next up will be HMS Pickle, I love the story behind this little boat.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Really nice Mobbsie, I was not even aware of this kit until your build so nice to see something different, the stand is really subtle and discrete, love it.

As for the ensign, think you're good with the red duster as red, white and blue would still have been in use - and I believe the red was used for HM ships under admiralty orders, which I suspect a harbor gun boat would be....

Will look great anyway whichever way you go!

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Great to see you bring this one home Mobbsie. She looks terrific and is a credit to your workmanship - be proud my friend.

I look forward to the commencement of Pickle.

Nice job, Mobbsie !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

the launch came out super!   beautifully done my friend! :)    I'll keep my eyes open for the start of the Pickle ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thank you gents very much for your very kind comments and the likes. She is now encased and on display in my lounge.

All I have to do now is to work out how to show the heading as " complete ", I have tried but with no success yet.

Pickle has arrived and will be on the slipway soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice Pinnace Mobbsie! I too had great fun building that model. Good luck with "Pickle". I enjoyed that one as well!

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

: