techniques for sanding planking?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what techniques others use to sand completed planking, where the basic planking lines are good but there is a certain amount of fairing to get down to a faired shape. The planks I've used are around 2.5mm thick, & most will be at least 2mm finished after final sanding with a few parts slightly under that, at maybe 1.75mm.

I was thinking of gluing sandpaper on to some flexible strips - maybe 1mm styrene or thin flexible ply - & sanding at various angles. The strips sized for one hand or two hands ..... so that I remove outstanding timber & not sand down where it's not needed. 

Forum title searches unfortunately didn't really find anything that matched what I'm looking for.

ideas ?

thanks, MP 

I used different bases for sandpaper, mainly hand-made (hard base - wood,  soft base - rubber and styrene ) with different sand paper granulation (60-400) and with different width of base with sandpaper over, glued or just attached. In some positions, only sandpaper with finger as base, and on another, little strips of sand paper caught with a top of medical pean.  In my opinion, there is not only mechanical approach, you just have to feel curvatures at piece/surface you are working with - what it actually "requires". But, i am not a master, rather a kind of artist

There are many most experienced and master builders here to answer your question

This is only one possible approach

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

The biggest thing I've found and also recommened in TFFM is NOT use sandpaper with just your hand.  Back it with something stiff but flexible.. like the cardboard of the back of a notepad.  I use some thin plastic sheets I acquired seemingly eons ago for some vacuum molding projects.  These give you a good feel for what is being sanded and also the flexibility to handle curved surfaces. 

Also sanding sticks.. just some scrap wood with sandpaper glued to them for those small, difficult areas.  I also use the disposable nail files and sanding bricks (they're really foam covered in sandpaper) that one can get from beauty supply houses.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

... NOT use sandpaper with just your hand. Bac

Sometimes only with fingers you can sense little deviations which need some action

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

As well as a range of different grit sandpaper on different wood blocks, I use my Proxxon delta sander and pen sander.

The delta sander comes with a range of different grit pads and is great for sanding larger areas. The pen sander comes with different shaped attachments and is useful when getting into tight corners.

post-1505-0-05400100-1449437672_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Sometimes only with fingers you can sense little deviations which need some action

That's true, Nenad.   I stop every few strokes and run my hands over the hull.  Time-consuming it I but I don't inadvertently get low spots from too much pressure where my fingertips are. 

This is one of those jobs that everyone really has to find out what works best for them. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I would just like to add that to slightly bevel, correct or level the edges of planks already laid, or remove hardened glue from same, I have found that a good quality riffler file is invaluable.

Ian

What I have used in the past is a very small sander made by Black and Decker called the mouse.

It has a flexible tip (with separate tip sand paper pieces) and does a decent job even on sanding decks.

At one time it was sold by Home Depot for about $35 but had a bad review because people were trying to use it as a 'power sander'.

post-246-0-16887100-1449538408.jpg   post-246-0-58110900-1449538427.jpg

PS the second picture was taken when I was not happy with the spar deck planking (not smooth enough) and decided to redo it.

Another comment about 'sanding by hand'. It is true that your fingers can feel slight bumps or other deviations better than your eye (sometimes), but that does not imply that you should sand by hand. For areas that should be smooth and continues, use a sandpaper block by hand. I think that is what Mark Taylor was referring to.

If you ever have done any bodywork on a car, you know what the finger tips can do for you.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I pre-sand. I use sandpaper from 80 grit down to 1600 on the strip before I glue it down. I have found that this works very well and provides for a smooth finish. A little sanding might be needed after, but it is minimal.

- Tim I.

golly, 1600 grit - I did't know it even existed

Jay, can you use that for concave curved surfaces?

I recently completed a table & was surprised by how when hand planing the tops down to 20mm thick, I was able to feel subtle thickness differences & work out where to remove next. However for some reason I'm unsure of this for a complex curved surface, but perhaps that is inexperience.

thanks 

No Mark, the mouse has a flat surface on the bottom and would not work on concave surfaces. Hence is works fine on the outside planking of a hull but not on the inside.

I was curious if the mouse is still available. It has changed a bit but is still there at Home Depot for $40.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Mouse-1-2-Amp-Detail-Sander-BDEMS600/205545909

Be careful of others that are a bit cheaper but don't have the flexible tip.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay, I have a mouse sander as well and use it all the time. I just recently used it to sand down the outer hull of my long boat and it worked great.  I prefer using it with the finger detail attachment, it gives me a better feel and I can get into tighter areas.

post-11922-0-80055200-1449589381_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I recently completed a table & was surprised by how when hand planing the tops down to 20mm thick, I was able to feel subtle thickness differences & work out where to remove next. However for some reason I'm unsure of this for a complex curved surface, but perhaps that is inexperience.

thanks 

I have a bunch of it given to me by my grandfather (1600 grit) who is a wood worker and who builds furniture. I use it very sparingly as my supply has been depleted quite a bit, without me being able to replenish it.

Edited by Tim I.

Maybe there are different grits in US and EU?

I use Mirka sandpaper. From 240 to 2000. Typically 240 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1200. Grit 2000 makes an interesting effect, and not suitable for some woods.

I never ever used 60 or 80 grit on a model - it is so rough that leave deep scratches. Sometimes I use a sanding stick with grit 180 as a rasp.

240 is the lowest grit I can use. It is aggressive enough to thickness sand frames, etc.

And in a lot if comments I see "start with 60". Reeeeally?

Edited by Mike Y

1600 grit... hit the local auto supply shop.. in the paint section.  There's sandpaper all the way to (ready for this...?)  6000 grit.   That last I think would have to be from a machine tool supply house as it's used in polishing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Try some kraft paper, the stuff they make paperbags with. It does have a very fine grit if you're trying to polish some paint. Test first!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mike Y: 80-grit will remove stock rapidly, but I stop long before getting down to the final surface. as it leaves deep scratches. I wouldn't use it for more than the really rough work. For wood, getting beyond 325 or 400-grit is counter-productive.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

For wood, getting beyond 325 or 400-grit is counter-productive.

Depends on what is needed - fine grits do not remove any material, but they polish and change the look.

There is a pretty visible difference after you sand castello or pear with 1200.

But maybe other people use steel wool or similar things for that.

And if you want a really polished look, you can go to 12000 grit

Available from http://www.umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php , mainly a plastic modelers site, but they've got some cool stuff!

SF0110%20Ultra%20Fine%20Waterproof%20Fin

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

• 3 weeks later...

The old electric toothbrush with sandpaper glued to where the bristles have been cut off.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Mark... these sanding pads go from 1500 to 12,000 grit. I use them extensively in my pen turning hobby, specially when finishing acrylics.

Not for use in my shipbuilding, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-Assortment-Pack-18-Pieces/dp/B00HJC156U/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451400577&sr=1-2&keywords=sanding+pads

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!