Jens Krogh by Steen B - 1:12 scale danish fishing vessel, start of 20´th. century

The hull is finished.

To get the shape of the hull, I used templates placed upside down on my building jig.

The hull is made up of three layers of 1 mm plywood; 1st. layer is set in an angle of 45 degrees toward the bow - 2nd. layer is also set in an angle of 45 degrees toward the stern. Finally the 3rd layer is positioned horizontal.

The inside of the hull has been covered with fiberglass to ensure it´s waterproof, and painted white (I admit; it dosn´t look that pretty at this stage).

post-11575-0-34450700-1449572992_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-33983400-1449734721_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-41930900-1449735627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steen B

The stern.

The model is to be a R/C sailing model. So I have build a "craddle" in the middle, which is where the controllines for the sails will be running. I use this "craddle" to ensure, that the lines don´t get tangled up with anything below deck.

Again: I admit that the inside of the hull looks terrible. :(

post-11575-0-07929500-1449574355_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-55942300-1449824817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steen B

Steen B,

an interesting Vessel, and the build you described, more pics please, do you have a photographed Picture of the plan you are using so the ship can be seen in side view ?

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils

Yes I do have some drawings of the ship - I will post them as soon as possible.

By the way; the ship still exist! It´s still sailing, and is now owned by some boyscouts in the Danish town Aalborg. They have en homepage, where you can see some beautiful Pictures of the ship. ( http://jenskrogh.dk/jkdk/index/htm )

A few years ago - when I was doing some reseach on this vessel - I got in contact with the skipper. He invited me to visit the ship, which I did during the Tall Ship´s race that year - and I fell in love with this lovely ship at the first glance!

Edited by Steen B

The deckplanks, which are made of 3 mm pinewood.

To simulate the caulking I glued black cardboard to one side of the planks. To do this in a smart way, I made a "sandwich" of planks, and then glued the cardboard on one side. When the glue had dried, I cut through the cardboard, and in doing that, I separated the planks.

post-11575-0-27286600-1449579718.jpg

Edited by Steen B

How the model looks today (8th of December 2015). A lot of more work is to be done.

As can be seen, I have made some more "fittings" including the wheelhouse and other bits and parts.

Notice the "Cooking-house" just aft the maimast. This was a special feature of fishing vessels from the Northern part of Jutland/Denmark.

post-11575-0-86214300-1449580855_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-77060200-1449736025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steen B

Hi Patrick.

Yes, it´s not a small model. The length of the hull is a Little more than 120 cm´s (4 ft.) and the bowsprit is ca. 30 cm (1 ft.).

I sure hope that she will sail in a realistic manner, and furthermore I hope I can avoid using an extern leadkeel. I´m planning to make some internal ballastpieces, which can be placed and removed through the hatch.

I have made a test in a bathtub, and about 12 kg.´s will be needed to bring her down to the waterline. I intend to make 6 small leadpieces (shaped to fit inside the cargohold) 2 kg´s each. Hopefully this will be sufficient to ensure realistic sailing. :)

Best regards

Steen

Edited by Steen B

Hi Omega.

Yes, it´s not a small model. The length of the hull is a Little more than 120 cm´s (4 ft.) and the bowsprit is ca. 30 cm (1 ft.).

I sure hope that she will sail in a realistic manner, and furthermore I hope I can avoid using an extern leadkeel. I planning on making some internal ballastpieces, which can be placed and removed through the hatch.

I have made a test in a bathtub, and about 12 kg.´s will be needed to bring her down to the waterline. I intend to make 6 small leadpieces (shaped to fit inside the cargohold) 2 kg´s each. Hopefully this will be sufficient to ensure realistic sailing. :)

Best regards

Steen

Hi Steen

Thanks and I'm looking forward to the maiden voyage!  Is this the first RC Yacht that you've built? I'd be surprised if it is, because you certainly seem to know how to build a strong and sturdy hull.  

As far as sailing ability goes, twelve pounds of lead is sure to give quite a good deal of stability, but of course, it really depends upon the wind and waves on any given day.  Hopefully we'll be able to see some photos/videos of the completed boat underway.

All the best!

Patrick

Hi Patrick

You´re right. "Jens Krogh" is not the first RC vessel I have build - it´s the second. ;)

If you search for "Heimdal" here in the forum, you can see some photos of my first RC vessel - also some snapshots during sailing.

I myself specially like this picture

post-11575-0-86194500-1449663261_thumb.jpg

Very nice Steen!

That's one hell of a bow wave she's pushing, which shows just how fast she was travelling.  A good turn of speed, for sure.

Shots like these remind me of my RC yachts which I used to sail.  Ahhh, brings back some really nice memories.

All the best!

Patrick

Hi Steen,

many thanks for sharing These lovely drawing Pictures, somehow the link in your post #5 did`nt work, (get an error indication)

The pic of the "Heimdal" riding on port bow, pushing the wake Looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

More fittings.

On these pictures, the "Cooking-house" still hasn´t got the roof mounted and the windlass is in a very rough state (= painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding...... still needs to be done ;)).

By the way: As my scale of building seems to be the same as many dollhouses (1:12) my wife has "threatened" to install some dollhouse-things in the cooking-house; plates, mugs, knifes & forks and some sausages hanging from the ceiling! :D:P

post-11575-0-92586400-1449732603_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-04371800-1449732613_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-74135700-1449732620_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-63157700-1449732632_thumb.jpg

The principles of how I´m going to control the sails (Basicly the same principles I´ve used in my other RC-yacht "Heimdal").

And for that minority of you, who DOESN´T speak/read Danish fluently, I´ve made a little "dictionary". B)

Sejlvinde til forsejl = sailwinch for foresail, jib and flying jib.

Skøde gennemføring = feedthrough for sheet.

Linen passerer forbi ruller... = Line passes rollers.

Storsejlsskøde = Sheet for the mainsail.

Skødet løber gennem en.... = Sheet passes through pulley. 

Line til storsejlsskøde = Drawline for mainsail.

Sejlvinde til storsejl = sailwinch for mainsail.

Line til forsejlsskøder = Drawline for foresail, job and flying jib.

Skøde til fok = Sheet for foresail.

Skøde til klyver = Sheet for jib.

Princip.bmp