Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

Hi Mike,

I agree with her especially if it is your last one.  It would be a shame to get thrown in the brig now for disobeying the admiral. ;)

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm getting close to being finished with the Montanes, so the hunt for a display case begins. Now it would be easy just to reorder the same display case from Abordage that I bought for the HMS Victory, But upon checking with Abordage, although the display case remained the same at $825.00 for a mahogany and wood case, the shipping jumped from $150.00 to $195.00 UPS. So here is w hat I found:

Abordage = $825.00 +  $195.00 shipping UPS

Acrylic Plus = $656.00 for a 5 sided acrylic box, but I would have to make my own display base for the box. So depending on wood used, this could cost up to $200.00 if I want walnut or mahogany.

Caseforcollectables.com = $483.22 + 273.56 Freight This is not a kit and will come assembled with a black plastic base

Shoppopdisplays.com = $910.01 + $190.08 freight same style case as above.

Acrylicjobs on Ebay = $990.00 free shipping. this is a kit and will come with a wooden base

beautycn on Ebay = $699.00 from China same case as the one above.

These all have 1/4" acrylic

I have built my own cases for about 5 of my models and am getting ready to build one for my current build of a scratch model of the Howard W. Middleton (see build log elsewhere on site).  Have just ordered 30' of 1/4" x 1/4" brass angle from K&S (minimum order at $3.45/ft).  Will probably use about $47 worth of brass angle.  I have a quote on a 3/4" cherry base (appox 30" x 10") for about $60.  Don't recall cost of glass but relatively minimal.  Clear aquarium type sealer on glass edges and cuts of brass ends (I haven't mastered miter edges so simple square cuts so they all join up).  Final touch of two engraved brass plaques on each side for about $10 each and there it is.   So for ~$150 all in you have yourself a very nice looking case.  Would love to hear other approaches to building cases but this has worked for me.

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

If you can get a nice built display case or build one yourself for $150.00, god bless you. But in my area, the only wood offered is poplar or very limited red oak. The acrylic alone for a 54 inch display case from either Lowes or Home Depot at 1/4" thick would run about $400.00 the last I checked and the amount needed would have to be special ordered. Now if I ordered enough mahogany to build a nice display case all total with acrylic, would run me over $600.00. Now my time to build that case about 8 hours about $150.00, tools I need that I don't have, miter saw and router, $250.00. So $1000.00 for a display case doesn't look so bad.

mike  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received the display case from Abordage and was horrified as how I found it packaged and shipped. Fortunately the only thing damaged was the corner of the display base suffered a slight bruise. I spoke with Abordage and this is what happens when your package goes through customs. The furthest picture to the right is how it was shipped from Abordage. Customs left no Fragile warnings on the package, removed the entire exterior cardboard, the box corners were gone and no foam padding was left to secure the contents. Seven out of the eight screws fell out of the package while UPS driver was helping me into the house with it. Shame on you Customs for doing such a **** poor job repacking my package.

20170710_111450_resized_1.jpg

20170710_151150_resized.jpg

20170710_151205_resized.jpg

dc 001.jpg

Sorry to hear about the treatment your package received.  Looks like the old American Touristor luggage commercials also applied to customs agents as well as baggage handlers. :(

Tom

After further consideration, It wasn't the fault of Customs after all, it was in fact the fault of Abordage. Customs only opens packages that are coming into this country and not packages shipped within the US. My display case was manufactured and shipped from the Dominican Republic, which is where Abordage factory is located. The display case is then shipped to Punta Gorda Florida to their sister facility and then shipped from Punta Gorda to the receiver, which was me. No Customs involvement between Punta Gorda and my address. So Abordage received the packed display case packed like someone had stomped all over it and yet rather then opening up the package to check the contents and repackaging it properly, they just sent it the way they received it. They are supposedly trying to make things right, but after 5 days, I'm beginning to think that ain't happening either. This just goes to show that even though you have one great deal with a company, you can't expect them all to be great. The sign of a great company isn't how many great deals they have had, but rather how they handle the deals that weren't so great. So eventhough, I'm not as high on Aboradge as I once was, I would still recommend them if someone is looking for a decent high end display case, I was just make sure when they ask for the second half of the deposit that you ask them to make sure the package is sent from their Punta Gorda address in proper packaging to insure no damage.  

• 3 months later...

Poor picture quality, but I'm thinking the model probably looks great. Congratulations

19 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

IMG_20171104_171921.jpg

Congratulations Mike!  The pics are not showing in your posts.  It just shows the file name?

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Great piece of work Mike! Where is it going to?

• 1 year later...

Ok folks, the final journey of the Montanes will be coming to a happy conclusion soon. The Waterman Hospital located in my area and the same hospital where I had open heart surgery recently is going to accept the Montanes as a donation. They have a Gala event in February each year and auction off various items and then use the money to obtain equipment or fund special programs like caring for the homeless when they are in need of health care. The manager of the Cardio Rehab Facility is really excited about the donation and hopes to possibly get some new workout equipment with funds from the Gala. I'll post how the process goes as it progresses.

mike   

• 1 month later...

Well here is the latest developments on the Montanes Hospital donation, While doing my cardio rehab this morning, there was a film crew present at the Rehab center. They wanted to do an interview with me regarding my cardio rehab experience as well as the donation that I plan on making to the hospital gala in February. They plan on airing the interview at the gala and ask that I attend since I'm making the donation. I was first off taken back by all this, I did the interview and they seemed happy with it, but I hadn't planned on going to the gala, which is a big kado black tie tux type of event. So we'll see how it goes, I told them I didn't want a big deal made out of this, but no one listens.

This just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.   

I just finished my Hermione build not long ago. And I ran against the same thing. I ended up going to Lowes and bought the lumber for the base and got some plain old wood molding. I then stained it Golden Oak and used some wipe on poly to finish it off. It all came to less than $60.00. Then a call the local glass shop (Dickman Glass) and bought the glass for $147.00. 

The case is 36" X 16" X 28". I know it isn't as fancy as Walnut or Mahogany but for a little over $200.00 I love it. 

I have already bought the wood for the case for my Chaperon. I will wait on the glass. 

I hope this gives you some ideas.

DSCN0228.JPG

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Russ, that is a good deal and a beautiful case mahogany or not, and I would have been proud to have built something similar for the Montanes. But, building a 36 inch display case is a far cry from building a 55 inch display case. Just the polycarbonate or plexiglass for such a display case would cost about $400.00 alone, not to mention the wood and time frame to build the case. So to me, If I'm going to invest better than half the cost to build a display case white pine or oak, not including the hours spent building it, the cost of $1000.00 is minimal. When I figured what it would cost me to build that size of a display case was going to be between $600.00-$700.00. Now glass would have been cheaper than plexi, but would have not been an option for this size of a display case, the weight alone would have been problematic not to mention the safety issues of that much glass around children.   

Edited by mtdoramike

Mike,

Your right, one can spend as much for a case as we do for the model. I didn't consider what I would do with my model after I finished. Just like you I will probably end up giving it away.

I would like to build a ship like you have, but I just don't have the space to keep something like that. What you are doing is great. 

I admire you for it.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Thanks you Russ, one good thing about donating it, if you donate it to a public institution like a local library, it's kind of like the best of both worlds. You get the pleasure of building such a grand model, you gain a world of experience from the build as well as the research needed, but you don't have to worry about where to display such a beast. Plus you can go by and visit the model when ever you like. I don't even get a tax write off on the donations because I don't claim it for tax deduction purposes.

I feel after building over 40 ship models over the years not to mention R/C planes and boat, this is just my way of giving back a little to the world that has for the most part been pretty kind to me. It also doesn't hurt any if the donated item goes to a worthy cause like the Hospital where I had open heart surgery and the beneficiary will be the Cardio Rehab center where I'm spending quite a bit of time lately. It's mainly a few bucks, a whole lot of fun and enjoyment and quite a bit of labor.      

Edited by mtdoramike

• 4 months later...

Well, the Waterman Hospital Fund raising Gala was held last night and the winning bidder of the Montane's ship model will be making arrangements to come and pick up the ship model. I don't know what the model went for at auction, I just hope the hospital got a few bucks out of it to help out.     

• 2 weeks later...

The Doctor who won the Hospital Gala auction came last night and picked up the Montanes ship model. I shed a tear while watching as they drove away on it's way to Orlando. Each of the models that I build hold a special place in my heart. I just hope that he and everyone who see's it enjoys it as much as I have because it was an awesome model that I felt honored to build. My farewell to an old friend hahahaha and closure to a lot of fun, at times frustrating and really rewarding journey.