Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

I started looking at the prefab sides for the guns and the way the pictorial shows is gluing a piece of wood to the back side of the wooden strip or glue wood pieces in the gun port opening before applying the wooden side panel on. I don't particularly like either Idea. So I'm going to use 1/8" wood spacers between the wood strip and the wooden piece the false gun is mounted to. See Pictures for clarification. I prefer the guns to be a bit more recessed and not sticking out so far.

mike    

post-13395-0-79106800-1454544233_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-27852200-1454544240_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-06849900-1454544244_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-33417200-1454544248_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

I've started the refit of the cannon mounts side boards. When I added the 1/8th spacer around the gun port openings, I created additional problems such as like 5 of the bulkheads had to be cut back because by the time you add the 1/8th spacers and then the 1/8th backer board for the dummy cannon mounts, it created an issue that the side boards would not lay flush.

But wait, the same thing will also have to be done with the lower side boards with the gun openings as well if I want the gun barrels to be even when viewed down the side of the model. A bit more work added to the build and I've just gotten started. Sometimes I have to ask myself, like self, what difference would it have made in the big scheme of things. hahahahahaha. BUt in the end, it comes down to my preference.

mike 

post-13395-0-02429900-1454613005_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-58937000-1454613012_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-86973800-1454613017_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-35235000-1454613023_thumb.jpg

Bit more work done on the Monte before the Super Bowl starts. I hope it was worth all the extra work involved, but I won't know for sure until I start planking the sides with 1/8 planking, which will also help in pushing the cannon back a bit and not stick out so far. I hate when cannon stick out too far. I painted the inside of the gun ports with black paint.

mike   

post-13395-0-65367800-1454886075_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-31445700-1454886080_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-78248700-1454886084_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-40441700-1454886089_thumb.jpg

Now I have to say that I really do not like preformed sides and bulwarks because they just never seem to fit right and require a lot of attention just to get a good look out of them. But I have to say that these seem to be the exception to the rule. I had went back and forth about ditching the preformed sides and just plank it and cut out the gun ports and mount the dummy supports from the back side of the planking, but I decided it was a lot more work than I wanted to do unless once I tried to put them on and find they look like crap. But I'm satisfied with them.  

mike

You ever have one of those days. Well, I did. I had rip some planking off of one side because I had gotten some of the white wood planking mixed up with some old stock that I had that was different thicknesses. Fortunately I caught it not in time but close enough and only had to rip, pry and talk dirty to the three pieces in order to replace them with the right planking. No harm no foul there. But while cutting out the top row of dummy gun ports planking, my hobby knife slipped and punched out the dummy cannon mount on the first gun port towards the bow. You know that one, that is now covered by the top deck and sealed at the bottom by the lower deck. Fortunately I was able to cut a hole in the lower deck and with a little fussing and cussing, I got the gun mount back into position and re-glued. This has always been my fear when it comes to dummy gun ports that are sealed by two decks. But since the opening I cut will not be visible after planking, again no harm, no foul. But I think I will take the rest of the day off.

mike   

post-13395-0-38154000-1455747078_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-78430200-1455747082_thumb.jpg

I know that feeling well Mike. Whenever I start having problems on any project, I just pack it in and walk away for a while, so I start with a fresh perspective! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I bet daddy, that Latina wood is some hard stuff, like cutting steel. I got so tired of cutting gun ports on the Vic, when I was finished cutting them I didn't want to see another gun port. I'm glad however that I gave myself a 1/8th inch space for the back of the dummy mount to the sides, had I positioned them flat on the inside of the sides, it would have left very little space behind the plank for the blade to cut the planking and I think I would have punched out a lot more than one gun port mount in the end.

mike  

I bet daddy, that Latina wood is some hard stuff, like cutting steel. I got so tired of cutting gun ports on the Vic, when I was finished cutting them I didn't want to see another gun port. I'm glad however that I gave myself a 1/8th inch space for the back of the dummy mount to the sides, had I positioned them flat on the inside of the sides, it would have left very little space behind the plank for the blade to cut the planking and I think I would have punched out a lot more than one gun port mount in the end.

mike  

I've been wondering, what exactly is that wood used for the planking on the Victory model? In the past, AL models I built employed a double planking, and the first planks were Limewood. But these don't seem to be Limewood, but something much harder.

I love the way your Montanes is coming out.

Craig

They use Sapeli on the Victory, which is quite a bit like dark walnut. Most of the larger more experienced models from AL only come with single planking, but the smaller or more of a beginner or intermediate level sometimes comes with double planking. But I think they are trying to get away from the double planking system. OcCre which is an off shoot of AL also uses single planking. I prefer single planking rather than using the white wood for the first layer then a real thin veneer as a second layer. You have to stain or paint the first layer because if you don't and there is a minute gap in between the second layer, it will stick out like a sore thumb. So if I have to do all that work, I would rather spend it on the first layer.

mike   

I had some left over planking from the Latina Victory and decided to use it for the upper sides and bulwarks planking because it is a different wood than the supplied hull planking wood from OcCre, which looks quite a bit like mahogany, which is a more redish color than the dark brown sapeli from Latina.

mike  

post-13395-0-01157300-1455898771_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I like that contrast between the woods..looks great.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Looking good Mike.  I like the contrasting wood.  

On a side note, Mount Dora made our newspaper's front page today.  Big cabbage shortage being predicted due to the weather down there!  Evidently Mount Dora is a cabbage mecca.  Could be the beginning of a world crisis, not enough or outrageously priced cabbage to go with your corned beef on St. Patrick's Day! :omg:

Tom

hahahahahaha, Heck I live here and this is the first I'm hearing of that BIG CABBAGE shortage. I didn't know we grew that much cabbage. I'm going to have to check into this I might need to stock pile some and jump the price up :D.  Thanks guys, I'm going to start laying a few of those reddish planks and see how the contrast will be.

mike  

Looking good Mike.  I like the contrasting wood.  

On a side note, Mount Dora made our newspaper's front page today.  Big cabbage shortage being predicted due to the weather down there!  Evidently Mount Dora is a cabbage mecca.  Could be the beginning of a world crisis, not enough or outrageously priced cabbage to go with your corned beef on St. Patrick's Day! :omg:

Tom

Well, darn it. I'll just have to drink beer on St Patty's Day now that cabbage is in short supply. Or maybe a good Irish whiskey.  B)

Thanks for the info Py, I was thinking it was a member of the walnut family, but mahogany makes a bit more sense. It is beautiful wood. I also notice that a lot of foreign kits use it, so it must be easier to get overseas than in the States.  

mike

Edited by mtdoramike

Looking good, Mike.   I'm just catching up a bit.  Personally I hate the double planking and false gunports.. If they go to that much trouble, why not just make the gundecks fully open with "real" guns?    Then again, after doing that on my Constellation, I realize that I am nuts....  post-76-0-17032300-1456026618.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good, Mike.   I'm just catching up a bit.  Personally I hate the double planking and false gunports.. If they go to that much trouble, why not just make the gundecks fully open with "real" guns?    Then again, after doing that on my Constellation, I realize that I am nuts....  attachicon.gifvil-crazy.gif

Mark,

I will second that Constellation note.  It was a lot of work for something no one can see.

Tom

I started planking the hull with the supplied wood and you can make out the contrast in the two dark woods. I planked the upper sides with some of the dark hull planking wood I had left over from the Latina Victory and now using the reddish colored wood to plank the bottom hull. I think it will look pretty neat once it's sanded and a good finish applied. 

mike

post-13395-0-11632800-1456268418_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-75617800-1456268422_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-55603300-1456268427_thumb.jpg