Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

Also to give you an idea of the length of the white wood and the reddish hull planking, the planks can be laid in one solid piece if you choose to do that. But although I appreciate the long length of the planking, I don't plank like that way. I prefer to do mine in sections just like the deck planking.

mike 

The different woods look great Mike. Not that I like double planking but I think a pretty good argument can be made for not having to shore up the bulkheads with as many fillers where the number of bulkheads is too few. The other thing I found was that with a first plank already down I could choose a 4 butt shift pattern without having to worry about finding something solid to attach the occasional end. But these are just excuses to make me feel better for having to double plank. Your ship looks great.

Best, Ian

Thanks George and Ian, The problem with this kit to me is the thin wood used for the bulkheads and then with fewer bulkheads used, I figure it might help give a smoother finish to the planking once applied. I would have done this even if it were to be double planked hoping to get a smooth lay of the planking.

mike

I did a little more planking yesterday until while cutting out the gun ports, my hobby knife slipped and cut my left thumb and left me with about a half inch cut. The bad thing I knew it was pretty dull, but I figured I would try and get a few more gun ports out of that old blade. But like the saying says "a dull knife will cut you quicker than a sharp one will".

mike  

post-13395-0-36972700-1456358001_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-31437700-1456358006_thumb.jpg

Looking good Mike. as for the thumb I find vodka works well. Some use it to disinfect the wound topically, however, I find taking it orally helps heal  the gashing wound to one's pride which usually causes the most  pain ;)  :) .

Edited by donrobinson

Bummer you got cut Mike, :o  but I think every ship being built in this forum has the modeler's DNA embedded in it.  :rolleyes:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks guys, and yep I leave a piece of me in every model that I have built. You know Don after reading your post, I just had to go in and get me a sip of a little Vodka since I had bought it back a few months ago when I came down with a bad cold. It helped cure the cold and made my finger feel not quite as bad as it looked. Well Craig right now I would have to say it's cutting out those %#&*&^())_))*&% gun ports.

mike 

Gun ports are like a double edged sword.  They really do add to the character and lines of the ship but if they are not done right, they stick out like a sore thumb!  Okay, okay, sorry about the puns.  Mike, hope your cut isn't serious and heals quickly.  I am enjoying watching your progress.

Bummer you got cut Mike, :o  but I think every ship being built in this forum has the modeler's DNA embedded in it.  :rolleyes:

DNA embedded in the model is not a bad thing.  It tends to personalize it and will add value after the builder goes to that great big model shop in the sky.  Isn't that how it works with all pieces of art.

Tom

Edited by toms10

A cheaper way to buy those #11's is by the 100-pack. Amazon has them for around $20, making them about 20¢ apiece, and easier to toss when they start getting dull. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

These are the #11 blades I buy for my X-Acto handles. $14.99 for 100, and made in the USA. They hold a great edge and are cheap at .15 cents each.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL447&P=0

For cutting lighter items such as fabric or certain light plastics/mylar, I prefer high-carbon surgical scalpel blades. However, I find these surgical scalpels a little on the light side for wood working projects unless it's very light balsa or similar. But beware! They are very, very sharp! http://www.havels.com/original-carbon-steel-surgical-scalpel-blades-sc11.html

Craig

Well that old saying of a dull knife will cut you quicker is wrong. I mis-proved that statement today. A sharp knife will cut you longer and deeper. This happened with a new blade and again cutting out gun ports. I'm going to have to take a few days off and then when I hit it again, I will used my dremel tool with a router style bit and see if I can't keep from getting cut. This time I actually had to seek medical treatment. Blood spewed every where, it nicked a vessel. My work room looked like I had butchered a hog.

mike  

post-13395-0-21200000-1456444746_thumb.jpg

Mike - stop by a woodcarving shop or maybe even a cutlery shop and pick up a cut resistant glove - I wear one on my opposing hand when I am doing woodcarving. It has saved me from many a slash cut like the one you got - won't protect from a stabbing type cut - just slash cuts.  They come in a variety of styles.

Hope it heals soon. Looks nasty

Jack's got a line to follow there, Mike. I got one, after looking at my left hand and the three or four gouges and slices I've put in it over the years. :( Your hands are a most valuable tool, after that sponge between your ears and your peepers. Take care of them. ;) We like seeing your continuing work on the Montanes, not hospital trip reports. :) :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Here is another possible alternative. :)

post-16252-0-75804500-1456505947.jpg

Just kidding Mike, what Canute said is very true.  Take care of yourself.  I really enjoy your build logs.

Tom 

I hope you went to Urgent Care  to get that looked at. Blood infections are dangerous. :( The swelling is not a good sign. :huh:  I was an EMT once upon a time and the Admiral is an Registered Nurse, so I know all too well about these things. Be safe.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mike, I agree with Ken (Canute) get to an Urgent Care facility and have that looked at. If you nicked a blood vessel, you could have introduced an infection especially since it has swollen to twice normal size.  Happened to me when I was a teenager, fell in woods and cut my ankle deep, swelled up overnight and put me in hospital for a week on antibiotics.  Not something to fool with.

Gotta agree with the other guys Mike! The swelling's a dead give-away for an infection. I've got my own stories I won't get into now, but suffice to say, if you see a red line crawling up your arm from your hand, don't wait until it reaches your shoulder before going in. Blood poisoning's nothing to mess with. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

I agree with what others have said Mike.   I remember a guy at work who cut his thumb real bad and did not report it.  About 2 weeks later his hand was swollen.  He was sent to the clinic and found out that he had an infection and almost lost his hand.  Please have it looked at and follow what the Dr. asks you to do.

David B

Yes, I went that evening to an Urgent care facility, they cleaned the wound and decided it didn't need stiches, so they used those butterfly type band aids to close it up and suggested I have my primary physician look at it in a few days. But he's out of town until Monday. I iced it down yesterday and last night so the swelling has come down drastically.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well my hand is getting a bit better. I lost a bit of feeling in the index finger though and it still hurts if I put a bit of pressure with my left hand especially the index finger. I did a bit of work on the stern house, I cut and inserted a couple of pieces of grating with plastic on the back side to represent windows. But it's a work in progress. I also started putting together the gratings and boy there is quite a few of them. A few more than on the Vic. I will start the planking again shortly.

mike  

post-13395-0-56695400-1457908833_thumb.jpg

Glad you're on the mend Mike! I know the feeling well about the numbness after a break and a cut on my left index. Stayed numb for a few years after it healed, but the really weird thing was that even though it was numb all the time, when exposed to a winter's cold, it would sting like heck before any of the other extremities did.  :huh:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif