Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

I have begun the lower planking again now that my left hand has healed up. I'm still missing some feeling in the index finger and portions of my thumb, but both are working so I'm back at it. One thing I have noticed is the wood used for the bulkheads isn't laminated plywood or hardwood so it's a bit hard to get anything to really stick into the bulkheads and hold really well. So I have been having to use quite a bit of fast drying glue to stick the planking down. This was one of OcCre's older kits so I'm hoping they updated the wood used for the bulkheads.

mike

post-13395-0-09385400-1459376293_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-38345900-1459376298_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-36096200-1459376304_thumb.jpg

Looking real nice Mike, good to hear your hand is alright

I have decided (unless a Sovereign of the seas kit drops in my lap) that the Montane's will be my last build. Now the only thing to change this would be if a ship model that I really really wanted to build before I kick the bucket like the SOS or maybe the Soliel Royal drops in my lap. BUt it would take something really tempting to change my mind on this.

mike  

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided (unless a Sovereign of the seas kit drops in my lap) that the Montane's will be my last build. Now the only thing to change this would be if a ship model that I really really wanted to build before I kick the bucket like the SOS or maybe the Soliel Royal drops in my lap. BUt it would take something really tempting to change my mind on this.

mike  

Well I hope something really tempting comes along because I like following your builds.

Tom

Been doin me some sanding this afternoon. I got one side of her sanded with the 60 grit, then on to 150 grit and finally the 220 grit. You can see all the sawdust starting to accumulate. hahahahahaha.

Hey daddy, yep I built an Xebec a few years ago with the Indiscreet, which was a kit I bought off of Ebay that had been carried around from pillar to post and was probably about 40 years old and the box showed it's age, but the contents was still usable. It went to an insurance corp CEO in CT for his kids bedroom hahahahahahaha.

Hey George & Tom, weeeeellllllll, the Victory was technically supposed to be my final build, but then the OcCre Montane's showed up on the classifieds at such a great deal that I just couldn't pass it up and the Montane's was a model that I had wanted to build some day. I had just got to thinking when I was planking the Monte that I have planked more models than I could remember off the top of my head. So I pulled my ad from the classifieds looking for a Sovereign of the Seas kit. Now does this mean never, I will never say never, but I will say this. I'm not opening or actively looking for another project, but and here is the rub, I still have this itch to build the Sovereign so if one dropped into my lap there maybe a possibility, but I'm not expecting it. There are a few others that could come close to scratching that itch and that would be the Latina Santa Ana or the OcCre Santisma Trinidad, both of which I have wanted to build. Now even if I do give up tall ship modeling, I have been looking at building a few R/C radio control boats for my son in law and grandson to play with at the lake. I used to be into RC planes and built probably 20-25 planes, from a PT trainer, Sopwith Camel, Beaver really to many to recall off hand.

mike   

post-13395-0-28729700-1460671570_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

Even though I know I said we'd hate to see you quit building tall ships, I also believe change is a healthy thing, so I know you'll do well in whatever new projects you decide on Mike.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nope, just the copper foil tape with no added adhesive. I have never had an issue with the copper foil tape holding on the numerous ship models that I have built and coppered except one that I decided to re-do and that was because I didn't seal the hull with anything before taping and just laid the tape down on the bare planking, which I guess you could do if you really and I mean really clean the hull thoroughly, which I didn't. So after that incident, I either paint the hull first with a paint or varnish or poly first and then lay the tape over it especially if there is any major puttying to be done because unlike a bare hull that has been finished naturally, some imperfections or blemishes will disappear for the most part. But when you lay down copper, that hull had better be smoother than a babies you know what or else it will show every time.   

mike  

Edited by mtdoramike

I'm on your wife's side with the copper plating :)

Nope, just the copper foil tape with no added adhesive. I have never had an issue with the copper foil tape holding on the numerous ship models that I have built and coppered except one that I decided to re-do and that was because I didn't seal the hull with anything before taping and just laid the tape down on the bare planking, which I guess you could do if you really and I mean really clean the hull thoroughly, which I didn't. So after that incident, I either paint the hull first with a paint or varnish or poly first and then lay the tape over it especially if there is any major puttying to be done because unlike a bare hull that has been finished naturally, some imperfections or blemishes will disappear for the most part. But when you lay down copper, that hull had better be smoother than a babies you know what or else it will show every time.   

mike  

It took like forever to get my order of copper tape from Amazon. Don't know why, because they are usually very good about shipping. But this particular item, even though it comes from the Amazon warehouse, took me two orders before it was finally fulfilled.

The first order sat for 2 weeks and never shipped. I canceled and reordered. It took one week and a phone call before they finally shipped the 2nd order. Now that I have the tape, need to do as you suggest and first paint my hull. I am glad I read your note, because I would have made the mistake of not using the Poly, first.

Regards

Craig

That is a shame Craig, I would have thought that Michaels would sell about the same thing as Hobby Lobby. Did you check in the stained glass section, this is where I find it at Hobby Lobby, it's actually the copper foil tape that the stained glass people use on the edges of the glass where they insert it into the lead cane channels before applying the flux and solder. But either way, it's a sight better than paying a couple hundred bucks for copper plates from Cornwall and it's a lot easier to apply it. I usually apply the tape in one log piece from stem to stern and then come back and measure out the length of each plate, mark with a number 2 pencil and then score it to separate each plate. I can usually plate a hull in a couple of days.

mike

That's an interesting way of copper plating, I will be watching closely. Quite a time saver doing it your way.