Occre's Cazador Xebec deck planking

Etcher

As I understand it the Cazador Xebec, or Jabeque, was a Spanish ship of around the 18th century, although Occre have a misleading comment about Xebecs being in the second siege of Gibraltar as its only historical detail. As such what lengths would the deck planks be and what kind of butt system would be adopted? Also, am I correct in thinking there would be no joggling?

Darren

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

Darren,

30 feet isn't unrealistic.  Depending on the shipyard and what they had for lumber stock, it could be a bit more or less.  Are you doing a build log of her?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Darren,

30 feet isn't unrealistic.  Depending on the shipyard and what they had for lumber stock, it could be a bit more or less.  Are you doing a build log of her?

Not as yet. It might be on the back burner. I have two smaller kits on the way (well, one in the post and one on my Xmas wishlist). So they may take precedence. Having said that I've started laying the deck on the Cazador now so will finish that. Maybe I'll work on them in tandem.

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Did you decide to joggle the ends?  I am researching a Spanish-built brig and having a dickens of a time finding construction details such as whether to joggle the ends, case the open gun ports or leave the 3 layer edges showing, etc.  I have Brian Lavery and Peter Goodwin for the Royal Navy, but need sources for Spanish navy construction!  Oh, I have Navios de la Real Armada 1700-1860 but it is in Spanish and from the diagrams it does not feel like it gets into this kind of detail.