Making Rope Coils?

vossy

Hi all, can anyone help me out and show me an easy, or any, way to make rope coils. The sort that lay on the deck, not the coils that hang from pinrails. i have tried the jig from the wooden shop modelling for dummies site but i still end up with just a bunch of twisted rope. are there any other jigs, tips, tricks out there?

Cheers Chris

Chris:

Use an index card or anything of similar size and a piece of double side tape.  Poke a hole through the tape and card.  Insert the end of the line through the hole, sticking the line down to the card as shown and wind the coil pressing the line down onto the tape.  When the coil is the size you want, stop coiling and "paint" the rope coil with diluted white glue.  Let it dry and remove from the card/tape. 

You can make multiple coils at the same time by using additional strips of tape.

Kurt

post-177-0-32511300-1450324365_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hello Kurt, thank you so much for this advice! This is exactly the type of response i was hoping for. i will definitely try this. it looks so simple, cost effective, and straight forward. i can't believe such a task as making coils have been giving me so much grief.

Cheers Chris

I cut up small squares of clear scrap plastic sheet (something semi rigid)

Then put a pin hole through two of them in the centre.

Push the line through one hole, then put the second square against the first trapping the line between.

Put a pin through both holes.

Now you can wind the line around the pin between the bits of plastic, the two pieces of plastic stop the line overlapping (keep them tight together)

As you go dab a drop of watered down PVA on the line.

The squeeze will push the glue to adjacent coils.

Leave to dry, remove pin.

The plastic does not stick to the glue so the coil can be easily taken off and trimmed up.

I actually make a bunch of plastic squares and consider them disposable, that way the pin holes don't start to open up and become loose.

Nick

Edited by pompey2

On a side note I will ad that line is always coiled clockwise on ships, unless the line is shroud laid which it never is. Its a very small detail but on the other hand there is no ambiguity about the direction you coil a line, it IS always coiled clockwise on EVERY tall ship and it is something I scan for when I am looking at a model.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Frankie,

Remind me to never show you anything I build.

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hey Chris,

When I did the coils of the San Juan I glued them to a standard piece of computer paper, then peeled them off. I also just made a post about my rope coils for the Santa Maria. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4923-santa-maria-by-moonbug-artesania-latina-bashed/page-12

-Bug

Hi Chris. There are a few ideas on making coils in the following thread. I devised a method using transparent plastic 'counters'. It works very well for any sized coils/thread. Check it out below.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1310-making-rope-coils/?hl=%2Brope+%2Bcoiler#entry210607

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina