HM Bark Endeavour by dashi - Caldercraft - scale 1:64 - 1768-71 - bashed kit

Thanks for all the likes and Chris and Dave for comments, yes more ropes and blocks with some rework to the top and lower sail sheet quarter and yard blocks swapping them out for 6mm which better fit 1/64 scale 14-16 inch blocks. The kit only supplied 5mm so had to purchase approx 26 x 6mm single blocks plus some doubles for top yard ties. Also while doing this corrected the lift block lashing to the yard sheet blocks as per Steel.

Chris I hope my photos are some help, I have followed as best I could David Steel 1794 and made the gallant topping lift shroud thimbles where required using a small brass rod with a lower seizing pushed up tight to the shroud seizing then fixed with ca glue twisting the rod so it doesn't stick while the glue sets and then removing it to form the thimbles.

Udate: Yard running rigging complete, next the sail running rigging without sails.

SDC14424.JPG

SDC14426.JPG

SDC14427.JPG

SDC14429.JPG

SDC14430.JPG

SDC14431.JPG

SDC14432.JPG

SDC14434.JPG

SDC14440.JPG

SDC14442.JPG

SDC14444.JPG

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

• 3 months later...

With the exception of sails, name plate and case this build is finished to my best ability and interpretation of contemporary drafts, shipwright practices, drawings/paintings, british naval ship building practices, and Cooks log with special attention to the tiller support built by Cook while in Queen Charlotte Sound New Zealand, and the mizzen driver/spanker boom. I wanted to make sails and even bought the cloth, but unfortunately due to declining health cannot make them, so have run the sail rigging with the exception of bowlines. The nameplate is in the winds and a case at this stage is outside my budget, so a can of compressed air will have to suffice to keep the dust from collecting.

I bashed the bouys and in lue of sails the port anchor and pinnace are shown in the process of being raised using relevant fish/yard/hatch and stay tackles. As there were several methods of tackle used to raise the anchor I went with the simplest which was suggested for small ships. Only the pinnace hull was painted white as an experiment to test the effectiveness of white lead paint against sea worm, so the ship and rest of the boat hulls were protected using 'brown stuff' as Cook refers to it.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their build logs, support and encouragement in helping me over the 4 years it's taken to complete this build. 

Cheers and safe sailing Dashi

SDC14446.JPG

SDC14448.JPG

SDC14450.JPG

SDC14451.JPG

SDC14452.JPG

SDC14453.JPG

SDC14454.JPG

SDC14456.JPG

SDC14457.JPG

SDC14458.JPG

SDC14459.JPG

SDC14460.JPG

SDC14461.JPG

SDC14463.JPG

SDC14465.JPG

SDC14467.JPG

SDC14468.JPG

SDC14474.JPG

SDC14475.JPG

SDC14476.JPG

SDC14478.JPG

You did a very nice job on this build Dashi, congratulations on completing her (to this point)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great work Dashi - getting anywhere near the finishing line is a rare achievement on these ship model kits! (I know from bitter experience). Being able to follow your build, plus the work Pat, Dave and others, gives me hope that I'll overcome obstacles and finish mine too!

Thanks for the many detail pictures and comments - it is all encouraging 😃

Many thanks for sharing!

Pat

Building: Artesania Latina Endeavour

Billings Roar Edge

Seriously thinking: Fairmile B launch (powered)

Bucket List: Dyfken, Beagle, Endurance

19 hours ago, mugje said:

It's a really nice build! I like the close-ups, your work is really precise :)

Is the hull planking the same wood, but just with other finishes on it?

Thanks Pat, Hubert and Mugje, yes same wood. I used a pigmented stain for the brown stuff and unstained above the water line.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dashi

I have just started Caldercraft HM BARK ENDEAVOUR this being my second build.  I have come across a slight problem in that bulkhead 15 this is the last bulkhead by the rudder located at the stern is protruding about 5mm above the deck.  I know your build was some time ago but can you remember if this should be flush as per all other bulkheads

regards Graham

7AABB3C7-1C4A-4A0F-8767-FB950D4C732F.jpeg

314FBE2B-F9B4-414E-A3C2-32C0853D7F70.jpeg

68E2E430-F35B-415A-9115-F470D5ADD464.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Fantastic build and a credit to the hobby. I am thinking of building the Endeavor by Caldercraft and think your blog would be a great help. Best regards Dave Baxter.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

• 9 months later...
  • The title was changed to HM Bark Endeavour by dashi - Caldercraft - scale 1:64 - 1768-71 - bashed kit