Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

Fine job, Michael.  Fine job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

As always, beautiful metalwork, Michael.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the positive comments and likes.

Continuing on with the goose-neck the filing of the opposite side.and the ends

post-202-0-08554900-1458873371_thumb.jpg

I also needed to thin down the tongues a bit.

post-202-0-35437100-1458873372_thumb.jpg

Next the holes for mounting to the mast were drilled and countersunk.

post-202-0-69988900-1458873371_thumb.jpg

Then some final polishing, this was done with some wet and dry narrow strips and a brass wire hand brush. the piece was now ready to be unsoldered.

post-202-0-95815800-1458873372_thumb.jpg

The releasing from the bar did not work in the way I had imagined, I had expected the short piece of bar to drop off because of its weight, but this did not happen, the capillary action of the soft solder was greater that I had anticipated, and by the time the assembly had gotten quite hot I realized that I would need to assist the parting. this I did with a steel scriber.

post-202-0-09570000-1458873678_thumb.jpg

I had to work at removing the scale next, more work with the wet and dry and wire brush, the resulting look was now more like aged bronze with actually works for me. the swiveling part of the boom end was made from a couple of pieces of brass rod drilled out to be a loose fit on the pin.

post-202-0-45106600-1458873373_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-89075800-1458873373.jpg

The goose-neck is now temporarily attached to the mast with some dressmaker's pins.

post-202-0-31112700-1458873375_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-47569700-1458873374_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Omega, me too!

It's like the sculptor releasing the piece from the block and i never get sick of it

Michael,

Canadians seem to have a ship modellers nack ... if it's not wood, it's metal, if not metal, paint ... etc, etc. ... some real astonishing metal work again ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Michael I agree with the bronze look but if I wanted to keep the bright brass look I would have turned a tip for my soldering iron to slide snugly into the round stock and inserted it with a touch of solder to aid the heat transfer. That way as soon as the solder lets go you can pull the whole thing away from the goose neck before it gets too much heat into it

Hi  Steve, Thanks for the tip regarding the soldering, I know that one need a little more heat to un-solder Initially I had thought that my large iron would be good, but I thought that the propane torch would be quicker, it was definitely a surprise that it did not just fall off. Isn't that the great thing about this hobby, we just keep learning new things all along. At least I know how to get that aged bronze look on a small piece of bronze now.

On a side note I just finished reading the silver soldering article in the spring edition of the Model Ship Builder Journal it is very good. I might just invest in a smaller jeweler's torch and some of the paste type silver solder as well, I need to get some more liquid silver solder flux. because soldering the two small pieces of brass rod was a bit of a pain with the paste flux which kept falling off the small parts.

and thanks to all who added likes and comments

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Quick update

I roughed out a boom today it is clear fir

post-202-0-39329700-1458943645_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35798500-1458943646_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-09363700-1458943647_thumb.jpg

I will sit on this for a day or so and see how it feels then/

Michael

What kind of magic you use, Michael?

Just briliant!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Indeed Michael, there is always something to learn and not only have we learned how hard it can be to unsolder, we've also learned an easy way to "bronze"

I don't know how it will "feel" sitting on it, but it sure looks good.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Another masterful metalworking achievement, Micheal.  While I envy the larger scale work, I am sobered by the thought of the level of excellence required to pull this off well.  Congratulations.

Ed

Hi Michael

The machining sequence for the goose neck was really interesting. Working out how to manufacture small metallic items is an endless source of fun and your result was excellent. Well done.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 years later...

Well certainly a week of picking up on older projects. Today I started to make the pattern for the keel ballast weight. I also decided that the hull will be painted. The planking on this hull is not as good as I would like for a varnished hull perhaps on the next one. so a coat of primer and the rough block from some poplar that I cut when we lived at the lake.

Build part 37

IMG_8592x1024.jpg.608e2101255441b7ec44adcd43c5ec01.jpg

IMG_8593x1024.jpg.ffe9e38bc025b6e63b74665f13887cd7.jpg

Then an afternoon of sanding to fair the planks at the stern-post and the pattern for the ballast

IMG_8595x1024.thumb.jpg.d80425ca9c75d1d26170befcd61fe9d3.jpg

IMG_8598x1024.jpg.2302a16dbc5d68a08a439804b07acf6b.jpg

Another coat of primer ready for more sanding tomorrow morning.

IMG_8602x1024.thumb.jpg.5a64ebbca65ee785db852111c8193b51.jpg

So I will be working on both the Buzzards Bay 14 and the cutter for the next little while. Lots of Herreshoff deck fittings to keep my metalworking side happy. 

Michael

Love a Herreshoff and looking forward to being entertained again by your work on it

Edited by Bedford