Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

build part 6

A little more work shaping the stern post, I have a whole new appreciation for those members who cut and shape the hawse timbers and the rebates in the stern and deadwood of the larger ships of the line.

This is a lot more difficult than it looks on all the other build logs I have looked at.

post-202-0-73812800-1451350725_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-79399300-1451350726_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-71515700-1451350727_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-46823400-1451350728_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-18383600-1451350729_thumb.jpg

These first fittings are an eye opener to the complexities of the shape of the keel and stern on these little boats.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Build part 7

A bit more work on the keel plate.

post-202-0-60210700-1451367587_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-89588700-1451367588_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-07131700-1451367590_thumb.jpg

I will need to add the supporting plates before I fix the keel to the frames.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

It beautiful when a plan (or boat frame) comes together.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A little more work shaping the stern post, I have a whole new appreciation for those members who cut and shape the hawse timbers and the rebates in the stern and deadwood of the larger ships of the line.

This is a lot more difficult than it looks on all the other build logs I have looked at.

attachicon.gifIMG_7524x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7529x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7530x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7531x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7532x800.jpg

These first fittings are an eye opener to the complexities of the shape of the keel and stern on these little boats.

Michael

Hi Michael

Watching your work is a true study in precision, care and forethought. Now those are lessons I'm yet to get a handle on, but thankfully there's lots of MSW members, such as yourself, that I can learn from.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

Nice rig, looks great, & it would sail the bermudan version out of sight. Plus if you get caught in a blow you can halve the mainsail area in a trice, which isn't possible with a bermudan rig. It's a model I know, but I still get fired up.

Mark

Bob Patrick and Mark, thanks for the kind remarks, and thank you too All who visited and pushed the like button.

build part 8

Well things have a habit of creating little issues that need to be sorted. first I began shaping the stem and forward section of the keel

post-202-0-09560300-1451522119_thumb.jpg

Then after placing it on the molds something just did not seem quite right.

post-202-0-93119500-1451522119_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-80558100-1451522120_thumb.jpg

A lot of measuring and revisiting the drawings there was some errors in the alignment of the keel parts. to solve this I needed to rework the way I am putting things together and so I cut a sheet of 1/4 inch MDF to act as a central support for the keel this way it will be exactly as the lines profile. It meant cutting the stations in half and removing the 1/4 inch from the middles but I was also then able to check that both halves matched properly as well.

post-202-0-65251900-1451522121_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-48528900-1451522122_thumb.jpg

A bit more fettling before I get to the planks. I need to cut some notches for the frames and the glued plates to slip back in.

Michael

build part 9

Finally getting things sorted.

post-202-0-86415100-1451539444_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-76537100-1451539445_thumb.jpg

When one makes an error it often seems to have domino effects, I have been working to pick them up again. just a couple more to go.

Michael

You seem to have solved a lot of problems with the central 'spine'. Now you have a complete set of moulds you can crank out as many hulls as you please. ;) Nice going, Michael. A very happy and healthy New Year to you and Judy,

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Looking Good Michael, I am seeing that Herreshoff profile, how do plan on making the Keel? 

Happy New Year

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Pete the three pieces of mahogany that form the stem, stern and the plate that the lead bolts to will be joined with a couple of knees basically that is how The keel appears to me made in the port Hadlock picture here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nwswb/5640427809

Michael

With all the molds glued to the build board it must have been fun cutting down through it all to install the MDF.  Good job. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob I used a chisel and snapped them all off to cut them.

Build part 10

The MDF is removable and is slotted tightly between the MDF square supports like this.

post-202-0-04943700-1451587078_thumb.jpg

The keel glued up, there is still some shaping to do on it, and I liked the fact that it balanced by itself like a sculpture.

post-202-0-19831100-1451587076_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03945900-1451587077_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Very Nice Michael, ( your jig looks great )  The Port Hadlock Boat is a beautiful example, thanks for sharing the link 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks, Michael.   And yes, nice sculpture.

Bob

Thank you to all who visited my build over the last few days.

Build part 11

I have been fettling the keel and the building molds it was apparent that I had miscalculated a few areas that needed to be re positioned vertically by distances from 1/16 the to 3/16 increasing incrementally from the bow to the stern. I am not quite sure how I managed to build in this error, but build it in I did.

I used the Port Hadlock images to plan the garboard strake and cut a pair from the planks cut from the re-sawn garage door panels that I salvaged. The wide planks are 1" x 5/32nds" and the narrow ones 9/16th" x 5/32nds"

post-202-0-51512500-1451860191_thumb.jpg

After cutting out the shape I put them into the turkey pot raised up on a couple of tin cookie cutters and steamed them for 20 minutes then clamped them up to dry. Now the real test begins. There are so many amazing planking jobs on this forum if I can get this done half as well I will be really pleased.

post-202-0-61461400-1451860189_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-55512900-1451860190_thumb.jpg

I was also doing some tests trying to draw some cane doweling through a draw plate but this does not seem to be working very well, I am not sure what I am doing wrong but even starting with an easy hole size then stepping to the next one I am having difficulty pulling it through without crushing it with the pliers or simply tearing it off leaving the rest stuck in the plate.

I am drawing it through from the smallest diameter side, it would be reverse for drawing down copper or silver wire.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Looks Good Michael, To get a nice planking job you will want to line off your planks, ( narrow on the bow and stern and wider in the middle ) here is a pic of  Joel Whites Haven 12 1/2  to illustrate. 

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-46598000-1451867998_thumb.jpg

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

A drawplate for metal is not quite the same as for wood. You need a Byrnes' drawplate that is specifically designed for the purpose. The difference in performance is like night and day. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Pete thanks for the picture,

Druxey thanks for the heads up I shall get one.

Build part 12

While waiting for the redwood to dry I used a combination of Chucks division method using the fan. and also I think that Druxey uses a thread.

By looking at the Hadlock divisions as a starting point I was able to get a good Idea of the run of the planks.

post-202-0-27403600-1451878726_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-93030200-1451878727_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35335300-1451878729_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-62771800-1451878730_thumb.jpg

I will see how the plank dries and take it from there.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

High Michael, looking nice.  I have been using bamboo skewers pulling them through a drill index.  I use my fingers to pull the skewers and bamboo is a lot stiffer then cane.  Works for me.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet, thanks for that tip. I don't actually have a drill index..... lots of drills but no index.

Michael

Michael, Shes really starting to take shape, I am looking forward to seeing her planked 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Looks very good Michael,

it probably is going to be a super lightweight hull in single planking layer.... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

My wire drawplate has very slight countersinks on the small end of the holes.  For drawing wood that edge needs to be sharp to scrape the wood.  A friend made a drawplate for wood by annealing a hacksaw blade, drilling the holes and then re-hardening the blade.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

I am looking forward to seeing her planked

Me too Pete

it probably is going to be a super lightweight hull in single planking layer

Nils I am not sure at this point because I will be adding the lead ballast.

A friend made a drawplate for wood by annealing a hacksaw blade, drilling the holes and then re-hardening the blade.

Bob It has crossed my mind to make a set of draw dies out of some 1/4 drill rod I would first step them down to 1/8th so that I can use the collet set And make a few stepped sizes.The thing is that for 1/8 scale a toothpick is close to 1/2 inch in scale, it is just that they are not very consistent, even 1/16 dowel is a bit slack on the tolerance regarding the diameter. I have ordered the Byrnes plate. in the meantime I am going to do a couple of experiments with the shape of the front face of the dies by making them a little conical, not much but a little.

Thanks everyone who visited and added a like.

The first two planks glued up well after they had dried thoroughly, I have shaped and steamed the next pair I will do the fine tuning tomorrow when they are dry.

post-202-0-74855700-1451974752_thumb.jpg

The discolouration makes it appear that they are not fitting well it is an illusion caused by the colour difference.

Michael

Build part 13

I am now at the third plank stage on each side.

The distances are big enough now that I need to glue one side at a time. I tried a novel way to soften the planks (redwood) by wrapping them in a wet towel and placing them on a baking sheet and putting them in the oven for 15 minutes. it seemed to work well enough.

post-202-0-39997900-1452040126_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90617400-1452040127_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-08841500-1452040129_thumb.jpg

I am shaping the ribs as I am moving down them, the rational being that because they are not supported yet at the sheer I wanted to have some good solid glue joints at the keel area before working at the sheer.

Michael

Looks really good Michael, what temperature did you set the oven at?  you can definitely start to see her lines  Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Pete I set it at 275f

Michael

Very nice work, Micheal.  I really like the method.  I would second Druxey's comment on the Byrnes drawplate - an indispensable tool.  I have tried several over the years, including some home made.  The Brynes Model Machines tool is by far the best.  I have never tried cane.  I normally used bamboo for its high tensile strength that resists breakage in the die.  I use mostly barbecue skewers split into strips with a knife, then select strips that have hard growth ring material.  Skewers tend to be pithy.  If you want a very hard, dark nail, use well weathered bamboo garden stakes.  The nails from these are very strong.

Ed

Ed Thanks for your kind words. I have ordered a Byrnes drawplate I am waiting for Jim to confirm the shipping cost to Canada. I shall get some BBQ skewers.

build part 14

Herreshoff was no doubt a genius! while waiting for the 4th planks glue to dry I thought that I would make a template for the sheer stake out of the thin cut off from cutting the wide planks this way I could make the finish planks using the thin template which is much easier to shape I could have used a strip of card or paper I suppose but I had the strip so put it to good use.

I basically freehand shaped the plank side curve whilst the sheer-line turns out to be a straight line. so the graceful curve of the sheer-line is caused by the natural geometry of the curve following both the plan and sheer.

post-202-0-35929800-1452100735_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24298100-1452100734_thumb.jpg

The redwood is a nice material to work with and looks great as well. I am thinking that i will paint below the waterline and keep the rest of the hull clear varnished with the white topsides and mahogany bright work on the coaming.

Michael