Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

Thanks for the visits comments and likes.

Build part 21

The last plank is glued in on the port side and only the last one on the starboard to go. it took a while to get it fitting snug and to avoid swelling the wood in the steam box I warmed up the plank with a commercial hot air gun which made it quite flexible without being wet and needing to dry. I was able to get the plank to stay in place without clamps before gluing.

post-202-0-53453900-1453785299_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35747900-1453785300_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-40979500-1453785301_thumb.jpg

I have done a little rough sanding and it looks reasonable so far.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

It looks "reasonable"?  You're a master of understatement, sir.   She looks great!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks Fantastic, Michael, Beautifully done 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Fine planking.  She'll look good on the water.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I remain awed with some of the beautiful planking I find. I love you lessons on using more heat too.

Congrats she looks great. Be sure if you use Wes system to opt for the clear hardener. My can says 207 for natural wood. I have not been using it where I use filler and plan to paint.

Cheers

Ta da...

post-202-0-26613400-1453848748_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-32460700-1453848749_thumb.jpg

I know I need a hair cut.

Now to make a cradle and get on with some final sanding before working the topsides.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Beautiful looking job Michael. Such a pleasure to follow your build.

Best, Ian

Beautiful, Michael.  Just love the lines.

And it's too cold to get a haircut.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I concur, with all of the Above, I have not had a Haircut in Years

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-87755400-1453906342_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete48

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

With that smile I can tell you like the way the hull came out.  I agree.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Good work Michael, :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice work on the planking Michael. My wife calls that the mad scientist look and that's when I know I need a haircut.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and likes.

Patrick I missed replying to your question sorry. I will sail it as a pond yacht. no radio.

Build part 22

I cut a number of strips of 1/16th thick strips of Costello Boxwood and soaked them in alcohol (thanks for that tip Pete) and they bend very nicely.

post-202-0-39834900-1453949830_thumb.jpg

once they are dry and glued together I will add a third which will make them 1 1/2 inch molded.

Michael

Very Nice, Michael, Looks amazing, rubbing alcohol works pretty good, I noticed that you had made progress on your side project 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Build part 22

In gluing up and cleaning up the Costello I am now convinced that it will be the best way to make "steam bent" frames for these small boats in the future.

If I were going to leave the inside as varnished wood instead of a painted one I would remove the laminated birch framse in lieu of the Costello ones.

this frame laminated from two layers of 1/16th is not only very strong is looks nice.

post-202-0-79262400-1454045425_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-77969300-1454045426_thumb.jpg

Most of the additional frames have now been glued in place a few more to go there are a few rejects in the upper right corner

post-202-0-70092600-1454045424_thumb.jpg

Michael

Thanks for all the likes.

build part 23

I though about the interior finishes and decided that I would dress it up a little. The forward bulkhead needed something more than just a sheet of fancy plywood, so I made a small scraping tool ala Druxey

post-202-0-71161100-1454199109_thumb.jpg

and made some molded planks of Costello 3/8th x 3 inches beaded on one edge to give a bit of style. I am also going to add some louvered doors.

post-202-0-55947200-1454198481_thumb.jpg

Also glued in the ledge stringer, it is a little lower that the sheer to support the deck beams.

post-202-0-77769000-1454198482_thumb.jpg

Temporary placement of the fore and aft bulkheads

post-202-0-82663700-1454198483_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-85011500-1454198484_thumb.jpg

Michael

Michael, That looks Fantastic, I was originally thinking of doing something similar on the bulkheads of the Haven, Then I was tempted to use the Teak I received from you.

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

I finished off the evening by roughing out the main beam across the bulkhead. I used the same tool to create the reveal I got the idea from the replica Gill Smith cat boat

post-202-0-85029200-1454206367_thumb.jpg

Michael

Classic boat building Michael,

excellent , nice and clean work, love those thin frame ribs.... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I love the precison, Micheal.  Bravo!  Plenty of food for thought in your posts as I contemplate YA's boats.

Ed 

Thank you all for the kind remarks and feedback.

build part 24

I am going to keep the interior as contrasting varnished woods regarding the benches floorboards and coamings and decks

The forward bulkhead and the lazaret will be the Costello and the floorboard are redwood as will be the seats the coaming will be mahogany and the deck planks Costello with a mahogany toe rail.

post-202-0-11995600-1454284008_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-37540900-1454284010_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-13582900-1454284011_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-02361700-1454284012_thumb.jpg

I will make the floorboards removable with some sort of brass (bronze ) fixings.

Michael