scroll saw choice

I know this subject has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering about a specific comparison between the Proxxon DSH/E scroll saw and the Makita SJ401....

I'm in the market for a scroll saw and was looking for something in the $200 range...but then I came into a windfall and am thinking I can rationalise the Proxxon, which I can get for around $400....if there's no significant difference between the Makita and the Proxxon, then I'll save my money but from what I've read about Proxxon products in general the extra expense might be worth it....any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton,

I looked at Amazon and found the Proxxon was a little higher rated in reviews than the Makita. However, it was based on very few reviews as well.

Try to find local hardware stores carrying them to compare.

Also, check out this website for more info.

http://scrollsawreviews.com/

Don't know if it will help but at least something more to go on.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Per:

I read through these reviews and they are quite helpful - don't see the Makita there, though I have read some negative reviews....thanks again!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton.

I have a total of 10 different Proxxon Tools including one of their Scroll Saws. All have a small footprint and are reliable and accurate. You won't go wrong if you buy one of these. I also ave about 8 different Makita tools in my 'big shed' - not the scroll saw though. Can't fault any of them either. If it were me, I would probably go the Proxxon. It is a very quiet saw.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks Hornet - definitely the way I'm leaning after reading up more.....

hamilton

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and check out the saws available there.  Most of the scroll saws sold under the major trade names are all made in China and are more or less the same machine.  Another low cost alternative is the older Dremel scroll saws.  They show up on eBay all the time.  I picked one up for $15 and am pretty happy with it.  Ebay is a good place to look for used saws in general.  There are usually several available ranging from really poor quaility ones to high end machines.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

The issues is that I want to use a Home Depot gift card for the purchase, but Home Depot Canada only carries the Makita and Proxxon saws....The exchange rate being what it is, I would rather buy in Canada at the moment....long and short, I think I'm going to go for the Proxxon. It's a very exciting time....Happy holidays to all

hamilton

The issues is that I want to use a Home Depot gift card for the purchase, but Home Depot Canada only carries the Makita and Proxxon saws....The exchange rate being what it is, I would rather buy in Canada at the moment....long and short, I think I'm going to go for the Proxxon. 

hamilton

FYI, I ordered some Proxxon tools through Home Depot online, but they cancelled the order - no reason given, but I suspect their prices haven't been revised since before the Canada/US exchange rate made the big shift last year.    Check Proxxon's site - they have sale now for many of their items, including the scroll saw

http://shop.prox-tech.com/c/bench-top-units-and-related-accessories_scroll-saw-ds-115-e  $US153.

Bruce

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

Hi Bruce:

That's weird! Did you call their customer service? How long ago was this? I imagine it must have been pretty disappointing....The saw I want is the DSH/E - a larger saw than the one in the link with a tilting table for mitre cuts....This one seems to have pretty universally good reviews....I'm going to take my chances with Home Depot, and we'll see how it goes - can't say I'm too encouraged by your story!

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

The issues is that I want to use a Home Depot gift card for the purchase, but Home Depot Canada only carries the Makita and Proxxon saws....The exchange rate being what it is, I would rather buy in Canada at the moment....long and short, I think I'm going to go for the Proxxon. It's a very exciting time....Happy holidays to all

hamilton

I believe that HD will order other brands for you, if you ask.  I've heard good things about DeWalts; look here:

http://www.spiralsbysteve.com/shells.php

As I recall, the 'Rolls-Royce' of scrollsaws is a Hegner.  Have look at them, and see if you can find a used one.

Another excellent saw is the Excalibur.  I have the 16" model and love it.  If you can find one used and in good shape I would recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a compact saw that will cut bulkheads/ keels (from ply, the thickest I expect to use about 5 mm) Also capable of ripping 5mm hardwoods into 1 mm strips for planking. I've read all the reviews. Size and price is an important issue, Proxxon and Dremel seem to be favoured, but I'm no nearer making a choice. Please help, Bob.

I want a compact saw that will cut bulkheads/ keels (from ply, the thickest I expect to use about 5 mm) Also capable of ripping 5mm hardwoods into 1 mm strips for planking. I've read all the reviews. Size and price is an important issue, Proxxon and Dremel seem to be favoured, but I'm no nearer making a choice. Please help, Bob.

If you want a saw for ripping hardwoods a scroll saw may not be your best choice.  A small bandsaw would do as well for cutting out bulkheads and be a much better choice for ripping lumber into strips.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

My first cheap scroll saw was a Delta. It shook so hard and broke so many blades, I called it "The Delta Saw of Death."  Since then , I picked up a used  Hegner Scroll Saw, from Switzerland, or Germany, or somewhere mountainous and cold, I forget. It is very expensive, especially if new, but it was used a lot by jewelers, and it is smooth and almost vibration free. Roman Barzana, the Tampa-based discoverer of Loquat Wood [snap! :)  ], turned me on to the bright-orange Hegner saws.

Edited by uss frolick

Hegner (Swiss, I believe) are the Rolls-Royce of scroll saws, and commensurately expensive. Frolick is a fortunate fellow to own one. Almost as good, but much less expensive, is the DeWalt 778. I've used this saw for 15 years. It works beautifully and vibration-free.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I concur with grsjax.  Sounds like a small bandsaw would be a much better all-around choice.  My Excalibur does a great job on curves, but I wouldn't use it for milling lumber.  A small bandsaw would do both jobs for you.

My plan is for a new Excalibur scroll saw, next. No more 'cheap' scroll saws for me. They have only brought me aggravation and very low quality work.

They're loud, they shake, and cannot make accurate cuts. I am ready to throw the el-cheapo scroll saw I own in a dumpster or give it to the scrap man. I'm better off cutting by hand rather than using this cheap, under-performing saw.

Gaetan

How easy is it to change the blade on the Hegner saw? I watched a YouTube video for the Excalibur saw, and really liked the fact that the saw frame is hinged, so it raises to change the blade quickly. In the video, the owner has a cup of coffee sitting on the cutting table while the saw is running full speed. There is no vibration whatsoever showing on the cup of coffee.  :rolleyes:

Craig

I bought the Dewalt that people recommend off of someone on Craigslist, basically brand new, stand, light and extra blades, for less than half of what it was retail.  I saw a lot of scroll saws on Craigslist when I was looking - I think lots of dads out there buy them to do a project with their kids, then have no other use for them.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Craig, 

Excalibur and Hegner are 2 good  scroll saw. Which one is the best I do not know. There are some video on U-Tube showing  how to change a blade. They are not all using  the last version of the saw.

Depending how you do it, the blade can be change in less than 30 seconds.

I use mainly 2 blades 1 for thin and 1 for thick material. Each blade has a top and bottom holder to fix in the saw.

I found a used Henger MultiMax 18 v, variable speed 18" with stand on ebay.

But when I saw the asking price 1000 dollars I wondered, are they as good as the money claims?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I think a lot of people who buy those expensive saws are using them professionally and making a living with them.  No one appreciates quality tools like me, but for our purposes, and how much we'll actually use them, I myself can't justify spending $1,000 - $1500 plus, on one, -- --  at least not yet!  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hegner (Swiss, I believe) are the Rolls-Royce of scroll saws, and commensurately expensive. Frolick is a fortunate fellow to own one. Almost as good, but much less expensive, is the DeWalt 778. I've used this saw for 15 years. It works beautifully and vibration-free.

Hi to all.

Karl :10_1_10:

post-632-0-53305800-1453512545_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-46876700-1453512562_thumb.jpg

Hamilton,

You mentioned Home Depot. They carry the Dewalt 788 20in. saw. Just under 500.00.  But they also carry the 20in. Delta saw. For a little more then 100.00 less. If you delve into a little more research you find that Dewalt and Delta scroll saws are made from the same manufacturer.

So for me I went with the Delta. A damn good machine. My buddy has the Dewalt. Performance to both of us was the same. We could not tell the difference. If there is, it's not much. If you take a close look they have a lot of similarities. I think Delta is a Oakland Raiders fan so they go with silver n black. :D

post-1053-0-10040400-1453515497_thumb.jpg

post-1053-0-43917500-1453515505.jpg

good luck

mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

By the way, I have my cheapo Ryobi placed on a dense 1" foam mat to reduce vibration.  Also, it occurred to me that waxing the blade from time to time might help, because It certainly does ease cutting with handsaws and planes.   But most of the time, the scroll saw sits on a shelf unless I need to cut from inside a hole.  I always go to my 12" or 14" bandsaw first.

I understand that one may prefer one tool over another for reasonable reasons, but really, a 12" bandsaw is a much better buy in my opinion.  As for the occasional internal hole cut, just use a jeweler's or coping saw. 

Edited by Bob Blarney

So would it be better to invest in a small bandsaw? From what Bob just said it seems that apart from inside cuts the bandsaw does the same work....? But what is the advantage of the band saw over scroll saw where they overlap in utility? 

hamilton

Hi Hamilton, I have both a Proxxon Band Saw and Scroll saw.

Both tools are very nice but I have used my scroll saw far more than the band saw.

I suppose it depends  how much work you are likely to do and of what type. In my model projects the scroll saw has proven more useful, particularly in relation to cutting the frames for my1:64 Pegasus  Pinnace and Longboat; The Band saw  simply couldn't get around the  small and intricate curves, and the much finer scroll saw blade was more suited to the task.

Cheers,

B.E.