Burroak

Hobby Mill

Did Hobby Mill just close their business or sell to someone else? I have heard good things about their wood products.

Thanks

Greg H.

Jeff retired from the premium lumber business.  

Crown Timberyard has taken over, in many ways, from Jeff. 

WoodProjectSource also has a variety of timbers.

Have a look here... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/384-where-to-buy-wood/   It lists these and other suppliers.

Have some inventory left over and I'm planning on having a sale after the Holidays.  I'll post details here on MSW when I am ready for the sale.  Also I would recommend Crown Timberyard as a great alternative to my products.

Cheers,

Jeff Hayes

HobbyMill

Tim,

I have no doubt that Jason work is top notch, I am to order from him when it comes to my Syren, if not before..... ;)

Edited by Nirvana

We should be very fortunate of having Jasons and Chucks companies around.

Saves a lot of extra time instead making your own blocks and lines.

Edited by Nirvana

On 12/25/2015 at 1:59 AM, mtaylor said:

Jeff retired from the premium lumber business.  

Crown Timberyard has taken over, in many ways, from Jeff. 

WoodProjectSource also has a variety of timbers.

Have a look here... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/384-where-to-buy-wood/   It lists these and other suppliers.

I see Crown Timberyard is also now out of business. Anyone have a good source still in business as of February 2020?

No unfortunately in the USA there are no longer sources for milled strips of Boxwood,  holly or Swiss Pear.   There are only a few businesses left and they are all outside of the USA.  I am afraid that the only way folks are going to get stripwood like this moving forward is to invest in a good hobby saw like the Byrnes and buy sheets to mill your own strips.  Not only is it cheaper but after a short time you will get really good at it.

you can find domestic stuff like basswood or cherry but the sizes are limited.  Taking your models to the next level means learning how to use a saw like the Byrnes saw to rip your own strips.  Its not a good business to be in and it is unlikely that anyone will jump into this space to replace hobbymill.   

I have a Byrnes saw and can do a reasonable job of ripping my own, in fact I did for my current model since I couldn’t find anything and still had a few billets from Jeff. It’s just that I prefer not to, I don’t do it enough to be good at it and I don’t have the proper ventilation to rip something like ebony. 

Even with that, I’m still looking for a source for quality woods in sheets in 3-5mm thicknesses. I’ll try some of the sites listed.  I do miss Hobby Mill, didn’t realize how good I had it with Jeff. 

On 2/18/2020 at 5:25 AM, Chuck said:

Taking your models to the next level means learning how to use a saw like the Byrnes saw to rip your own strips.

I'm a long ways away from being able to scratch build a model from the architectural drawings but I would like to be able to substitute better quality wood for the wood supplied in some of the kits that I'm interested in building. So many kits have mediocre or even poor quality wood in them that it's difficult to get the kind of sharp edges and smoothly sanded surfaces that I want on the model. So maybe a Byrnes saw will be the first tabletop machine that I buy.

Bob

Edited by BobG

That saw and his thickness sander will take you a long ways in improving your models and your modeling capabilities.... I’ve had mine over 20 years and they are still my most valued modeling tools. They have payed for themselves many times over and I am amazed that they are still as accurate and powerful as when I bought them.  

You’ll find all across this forum people rave about the Byrnes saw, I like everyone else love mine.  I use it all the time along with my Byrnes Sander.  I haven’t sprung for the thickness sander yet, but based on the seemingly shortage of quality strip wood it may be next.