HMS Victory by waspy - Constructo - First time modelling with wood

Some VERY mixed results while marking and cutting out the gun ports......

I marked the centre points from the plan: no problem.

I then used a 10mm forstner drill bit to cut out the opening. On the whole that worked out really well, but it needs quite a bit of pressure on the drill so needs great care not to go through to the backboard for the false cannons as it gets through the planking.

It's then a simple matter of a sharp blade to carve the corners out to turn the circle into a square. Once the trims are in and sanded I'm really happy how they look.

The 2 huge problems I have are 1. some of the gunports line up with the bulkheads, as you can see from the picture. While I have managed to carve out some of the bulkhead, I'm not sure how I'm going to carve it out to the correct depth to fix the false cannons in those ports....

And as you can see from highlight number 4 .... the lower gun ports don't line up with the backing boards for the false cannons.....I have no idea how or why that happened - I can't see where I have deviated from the plans for that to happen - but the only solution is to have the gunports closed on the lower deck......which is very disappointing :(

post-22178-0-05118300-1455228566_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any bright ideas....do let me know

Waspy :)

Waspy,

So what I did on the ones that met up with a rib (I had already cut a notch out before planking, to my correct depth). I know this doesn't help since all your planking is done. However, I had a couple that I didn't notch, so I bored a little further into the rib with the forstner bit, until I liked the depth. Then I drilled the appropriate size hole to fit the false canon, same hole drilled for all the false canons on each backing. Fortunately all my backing boards were in the right place, sorry some of yours were off. That's a tough one to fix, unless you build more backing from where the main one is, all via the port hole, a difficult challenge no doubt.

Edited by challenger86

Current build: Duyfken

Completed build: NS Mercedes

Completed build: HMS Victory

Completed build: Bluenose Schooner

gun ports all, marked, cut out, lined and sanded on one side. lots of mistakes and glitches....but plenty of lessons learned for the other side. As the other side is the one that will be finally displayed, I shall cover all my mistakes by having the gun ports closed on that side ;)

Most importantly, I learned that

1. It's better to move the gunports 'off-plan' slightly so as to avoid the bulkheads as much as possible (why the model designers didn't take bulkhead position into account during design I will never understand!) specially in the waist area

2. The forstner bit works very well, but it lacks delicacy....at times it needed too much pressure to get through and as a result I damaged several areas of the back boards as the drill bit pushed through. It also really struggled to get though the double layer of planking on the bulwarks. I actually found using a 2mm drill bit around the edges then cutting to join the holes was much more accurate and controlled, So I will be forsaking the forstner bit for the other side entirely.

post-22178-0-88087500-1455573022_thumb.jpg

All holes marked up on the other side ready for drilling.....I really hope they line up with the back boards better on this side....if not I will have to try and extend the back boards with key-hole surgery through 10 mm square gunports! not something I like the idea of, but the displayed side HAS to have all it's cannons run out!

post-22178-0-30262400-1455573025_thumb.jpg

Waspy

• 2 weeks later...

gunport update......

All gun ports complete....yay!

managed to get them lined up on this side so only 2 or 3 have ended up over a bulkhead. Some of the back-boards didn't line up, but for those that didn't I managed to glue some extended panels onto the existing back boards before drilling the holes for the false cannons. Although that means some of them will be poking out 2mm further than the others....at least I can have all the ports open and filled with cannon on this side :)

Waspy

post-22178-0-39060500-1456608259_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-96104000-1456608281_thumb.jpg

Edited by waspy

evening all.

I've been a busy bunny and got all sorts done on my Victory, but I keep jumping from one part to another to keep up the interest....even if it's not logical to most of you perfectionists :P

As you can see from the first photo, I have simplified the bow-detail a lot to keep it within my very limited abilities - certainly not an accurate model - but I still love it ;)

post-22178-0-87191700-1457218521_thumb.jpg

I've assembled all my gun-deck cannons and added a little rope detail - and started on the steps and detail of the waist

post-22178-0-35787900-1457218570_thumb.jpg

I worked on the transom and windows some time ago but I don't think I posted any pictures. I've now added the etching details. (don't know why the camera makes the sides look so blue! it looks awful in the picture but in real life the blue is just very fine lines picking out the detail - didn't matter how many photos I took, they all came out blue like that?)

post-22178-0-31450700-1457218658_thumb.jpg

and I've given all the hull a couple of coats of button polish - I'm really loving the colour of the different woods now

post-22178-0-64843200-1457218904_thumb.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

some progress in the last week (some real life jobs fell through.....so I had 3 days off to kill  :D )

worked on the rudder - amazed the difference it makes to the overall look of the stern - chains are too long right now, I'll get around to adjusting them in the future....

post-22178-0-18773700-1458164207_thumb.jpg

added the bow doors and figure head....not sure why my camera doesn't like taking pictures of painted parts.....I'm not suggesting my painting is great.....but it looks much nicer than this photo makes it look lol :P

post-22178-0-91495800-1458164343_thumb.jpg

added the side reinforcements and the steps.....I really like how the steps turned out, but they are a bit squashed and out of line at the top - a symptom of me moving the gun-ports off-plan to avoid the BH's .....so many lessons to learn, I sure hope I remember them all for next time ;)

post-22178-0-77276800-1458164537_thumb.jpg

assembled some of the chains, and was really chuffed with how they looked....until I saw them in the photo close up, I might have to try and re-make most of them a bit tidier....

post-22178-0-81128300-1458164678_thumb.jpg

added some of the deck furniture and riding bits....and what I assume to be the chimney for the ovens....or maybe it was the blacksmiths forge?

post-22178-0-03490300-1458164789_thumb.jpg

right now I'm experimenting on how to rig the upper deck cannons.....I think it needs a rope attached to a bolt on the deck at the rear....but now quite sure the best way to deal with the slack on the main rope attached to the bullwarks....

post-22178-0-25163400-1458164970_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

Waspy

• 3 weeks later...

evening all :)

Chains all completed both sides and have been continuing on rigging the cannons on the upper deck and have completed one side of the ladder to the quarter deck...I know the rigging is not accurate but at this scale there's a limit to my ability (Constructo's instructions make no mention of rigging the guns at all!)

post-22178-0-40632700-1459465022_thumb.jpg

And as variety is the spice of life I made a start on the bowsprit. With no lathe I had to make do with my drill to use as a wood turner to taper the ends....which worked ok - certainly good enough for me. In my usual effort to make things easier to suit my ability, after 2 failed attempts, I gave up trying to square off the top section of the mast and just kept it round - I think it would be much easier to turn square stock to a round instead of round stock to square. I'm sure some of you will shudder but I don't think it detracts from the overall finished effect....

post-22178-0-81189300-1459465420_thumb.jpg

I've started on the main mast and top, I'll grab a photo of it when it's further along....

that's all for now,

Waspy

lifeboat davits in place and most of the deck furniture fitted including the last of the pin-racks and the hammock netting well under way.....I thought I'd struggle with the hammock netting and spoil the look of the ship at 1:94 scale.....but it's really looking good so far :)

post-22178-0-63862900-1459894041_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-07875300-1459894060_thumb.jpg

Nice! I can never get over how long the bow sprit is and when the masts and rigging goes up it takes on a whole different character. By the way I really like the colour contrasts between your wales and the planking in-between.

Best, Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the nice weather outside, progress has slowed considerably, but in the last few days I've fixed the main mast, attached all the lower main shrouds and have now started on the ratlines.

That now means I've got plenty to do when I've got a spare 5 minutes that don't need all my tools out.....just thread, scissors and tweezers :)

post-22178-0-23005700-1462909899_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-94123200-1462909900_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-23514700-1462909897_thumb.jpg

*edit*

just seen the pictures and a couple of the shrouds have twisted at the top.....gonna have to address that before any more ratlines go in....

Waspy

Edited by waspy

• 6 months later...

Well I have been routing around the site today and to be honest I have been off the hobby a lot this year only popping in now and again but I have done some catch up today on others work and shocked is the word 

OMG as the youth of today say, Can I just send you this cut from my site :-

Thanks for the detailed build log Paul - I'm getting this kit for christmas from the wife and like you, I've never made a wooden ship either so the info in here will help immensely! I don't for a minute believe I'll get mine to your standard but at least I know what is possible from the kit!#

You sent this 17th November 2015  and have passed my build stage and I started mine in April 2014 ( Ok a few breaks here and there ) but incredible how much you have done and its looking stunning... glad she is a naked version too.

Well what ship is the wife getting you this year when that's completed

Well done 

• 3 weeks later...