Baby Gar Speedboat (1929) by overdale - scale 1/12. - Finished

This subject is the next in a series for a client who buys and restores old speedboats and cruisers.

It's a 1929 33 foot Baby Gar speedboat which will measure 33 inches (hopefully) when complete. I'm afraid it's all rather rough at the moment but I have reached the staining phase and with some time and a  lot of coats of varnish it might finish up ok!

post-739-0-73890200-1363633526_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-01137600-1363633548_thumb.jpg

Basic frames and first planking.

post-739-0-08870300-1363633715_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-57170200-1363633837_thumb.jpg

Plywood skin for the decks.

post-739-0-75131900-1363633950_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-52960600-1363633971_thumb.jpg

Mahogany outer planking.

post-739-0-22172700-1363634121_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-59480100-1363634142_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-01162100-1363634165_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-49205500-1363634188_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-76288600-1363634231_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-53221700-1363634252_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-03682200-1363634275_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-92548300-1363634295_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-04326900-1363634317_thumb.jpgpost-739-0-44355400-1363634363_thumb.jpg How it should look when finished. A similar boat.post-739-0-18286300-1363634386.jpg

post-739-0-22462200-1363634209_thumb.jpg

post-739-0-94942300-1363634383_thumb.jpg

Edited by overdale

I love these old wood speed boats. I have built A small model of a John Hacker one step called "Zippy". Plans came from a "Ideal" book series.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Dale I like the new boat. These smaller boat to a larger scale are really appealing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks very well done.  I can't wait to see the finish on it.  The lines just scream "speed"!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Solid construction, great lines, beautiful finish, the client should put it a place of honor.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 months later...

Yes, it's a beautiful little boat and the green antifoul paint sets it off very well.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Daniel the model is looking really great, will it actually see the wet stuff?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Daniel the model is looking really great, will it actually see the wet stuff?

Michael

Hi Michael,

no, sadly it's just for looking at. The client has the real thing.!  I would love to see it perform though. I am currently fitting all the chrome trim, windscreen propeller and rudder etc. and then it goes into the case. The only thing holding me up is the name. He hasn't come up with one yet so I can't get my decal guy to print something..  Then it's off to Connecticut to deliver it and see what he has in store for me next!

Dan.

Dan,

Just a very sweet and clean build. Speedy lines....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 months later...

Simply lovely.  She can put in at my dock anytime.

Bob

Very nice Dan, the finished boat looks beautiful. Is the case glass or acrylic?

Michael

Beautiful work.  Looks like she's just flying along. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice Dan, the finished boat looks beautiful. Is the case glass or acrylic?

Michael

Thanks Michael,

it's a glass case.  The second that had to be built as the first wasn't tall enough.!  The first in a series of setbacks which included, the decal on the stern was misspelled twice, the nameplate was misspelled once and the whole thing had to be resprayed several times..! I think this project was my 'Jonah'